Railroad Forums 

• NYSW to own CEFX leasors

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#994783  by kingfish

SD60s will be coming to NYSW in 2012. At this point six are scheduled for use. I am not sure where the CEFX purchase rumour started but will hazard that it was a RR employee with second hand information. The RR environment is no differnt from the railfan community. That is to say lots of gossip and rumor mongering takes place. Purchase versus lease is not material to this thread since it is a financial decision. NYSW is implementing a much needed long term plan to stabilize the locomotive fleet for the forseeable future. That starts with main line needs and will cascade to the branch/local environment later.

The 60s will work in conjunction with the existing NYSW painted 40-2 fleet. The short term lease units will return mid year 2012.
The new SD fleet will be Tier 0 plus and major components shall be remanufactured.
NYSW is testing a GP20D and will see a Progress Rail 4 axle shortly. I also expect a GATX GP15 configured as a Dash2 for testing in the spring.

The 70s are an evolving discussion at this time.

PS
Believe only 10% of what you hear and disregard the rest...

Kingfish
 #994963  by waldwickrailfan

kingfish wrote:SD60s will be coming to NYSW in 2012. At this point six are scheduled for use. I am not sure where the CEFX purchase rumour started but will hazard that it was a RR employee with second hand information. The RR environment is no differnt from the railfan community. That is to say lots of gossip and rumor mongering takes place. Purchase versus lease is not material to this thread since it is a financial decision. NYSW is implementing a much needed long term plan to stabilize the locomotive fleet for the forseeable future. That starts with main line needs and will cascade to the branch/local environment later.

The 60s will work in conjunction with the existing NYSW painted 40-2 fleet. The short term lease units will return mid year 2012.
The new SD fleet will be Tier 0 plus and major components shall be remanufactured.
NYSW is testing a GP20D and will see a Progress Rail 4 axle shortly. I also expect a GATX GP15 configured as a Dash2 for testing in the spring.

The 70s are an evolving discussion at this time.

PS
Believe only 10% of what you hear and disregard the rest...

Kingfish
thanks for the confirmation KingFish. and you are right about the 10%. i would have said around 10-15% of this thread was true. :)
 #995023  by Steve F45

King, it is very much appreciated what you can share with us the railfan community. So its safe to say that 3010 will be back on the rails under her own power eventually and the 45's will not?

And looks like im going to get started on my SD60 NYSW project now. :)
 #995025  by Steve F45

Steve F45 wrote:King, it is very much appreciated what you can share with us the railfan community. So its safe to say that 3010 will be back on the rails under her own power eventually and the 45's will not?

And looks like im going to get started on my SD60 NYSW project now. :)
Oh and its not widenose SD60M's, just the standard cab SD60's right?
 #995079  by kingfish

Standard cabs. 1986 vintage, I will have to check on the lineage.

They will be coming out of VMV/Paducal Built/Kentucky.

I spent quite a bit of time there in my past affilations with B&P RR (G&W)and St. Lawrence & Atlantic RR ( G&W).

Livery should be "bumble bee" but I would like to see a modern version of the 40's cream & maroon.

Cheers,

Kingfish
 #995095  by ontheground

King - Sd40 in maroon and cream would be nice but an RS-1 would be better! So the units comming out of VMV will be rebuilds? Glad to see that the company is actually investing in its used power rather than a stencil and new numberboard rebuild. - Derailed
 #995114  by pumpers

kingfish wrote: Believe only 10% of what you hear and disregard the rest...
Kingfish
A great point which I actually do try to apply to several aspects of my life. The only problem is, deciding what the right 10% is without the benefit of hindsight! JS
 #995140  by Jtgshu

Wow, I don't think you would be the only one who would like to see a modern cream and maroon! That would look amazing! btw, thanks for all the info you share with us Kingfish, its very kind of you to do so :)

I heard a saying at work (on the railroad) and it applies in life, but very much so on the railroad...

"Believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see"
 #995205  by Jtgshu

Nice work scott That looks great!!!!

Id like to see a lightening stripe zig zag from just behind the cab and then just in front of the radiators with SUSQUEHANNA bold and italitized and lowered a lil bit, with Maroon and cream safety stripes on the front and back hood ends with a larger S logo would be sharp too

But I also think the bumblebee scheme is also very very classy, so either way the locos are gonna look great