Railroad Forums 

• NYSW 18

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#481323  by Sid Farkus

What ever happend to this unit? Will it operate, be restored, or what? Is it still in Butler?
 #481327  by n01jd1

Susquehaniewikiwokiwani wrote:What ever happend to this unit? Will it operate, be restored, or what? Is it still in Butler?
I believe its still in the NYSWTHS enginehouse in Butler.

#481395  by njmidland

Technically, it was owned by the NYS&W. It was in the Newfoundland enginehouse when the Morris County Central went bankrupt and the NYS&W seized all of its assets for non-payment of their lease. As a result they owned the Plymouth. The NYS&WT&HS got it running when the occupied the Newfoundland enginehouse and the railroad sold it to them for $1.

#481587  by Sid Farkus

Yeah NYSW used it. I have a picture of it pulling 120. They also used it to move 142's tender around in the shop. I just wonder what it looks like now, and if it has a future?

#482020  by Sid Farkus

Here you go.
Newfoundland, NJ 7/93. Photo Courtesy of Dan Onorevole.

I found this pic too

#482805  by wolfboy8171981

Susquehaniewikiwokiwani wrote:Here you go.
Newfoundland, NJ 7/93. Photo Courtesy of Dan Onorevole.

I found this pic too
Anyone see a Rule violation in this picture?

#482830  by Tadman

Yeah, it looks like they are sidecar motorcycle racing - when you turn hard, the guy in the sidecar has to LEAN!
 #482950  by EDM5970

I'm not sure I would call the blue flag in the window a rules violation. Now it it were clamped to the rail and a member of the wrong class of workman removed it and moved the car, yes.

I think that it was just put in the cab as a place to keep it. Or are we supposed to really go overboard and wrap in in black bunting, so no one can see that it is blue, before placing it in storage?

I would be more concerned with the individual riding on the cab step. While not technically a footboard, the step is practically on the corner of the engine, and that little pup is so narrow that a fall from there would put the individual under the RDC. (I suspect that unit is old enough to get a waiver on footboards, anyway, but still-)

#482971  by Sid Farkus

Here's the photo that I submitted earlier and that had an error.

#483092  by ricebrianrice

So what I want to know, is what happened to that box car?
 #483188  by n01jd1

EDM5970 wrote:I'm not sure I would call the blue flag in the window a rules violation. Now it it were clamped to the rail and a member of the wrong class of workman removed it and moved the car, yes.
I would. To me its the same as if there were a blue light sitting on the engineers seat or control stand or a blue flag hanging on the exterior of the RDC or clamped to the track. In order to move that RDC the blue flag should be completely removed from the equipment or track by the person who put it there in the first place.

#483195  by n01jd1

Norac Rule on Blue signals:

16. Blue Signal Protection of Workers
This rule prescribes the procedures for the protection of railroad workmen who work on, under or between
equipment. “Workmen” refers to one or more employees assigned to inspect, test, repair, or service
engines and/or cars. Train and Engine Service Employees are excluded except when assigned to
perform work on equipment that is not part of movement they have been called to operate.

a. Restrictions
Once a Blue Signal has been displayed, the following restrictions apply:
1. The equipment must not be coupled to or moved.
EXCEPTION: When under the direction of the employee in charge of the workmen, engines may
be repositioned within an Engine Servicing Track Area, and cars may be repositioned within a
Car Shop Repair Track Area. Employees on the affected track must be informed of the
movement, and Blue Signals must be removed from the equipment to be repositioned or coupled.
The Blue Signals need not be removed from the switches or derails providing access to the track.
2. Other equipment must not be placed on the same track in a manner that will reduce or block the
view of a Blue Signal.
3. Equipment must not pass a displayed Blue Signal.
4. Only a person of the same group or craft that displayed the signals may remove it, after all the
workmen are clear.

b. Responsibilities of Workmen
Before going on, under, or between engines and/or cars, workmen must take the actions prescribed
below. Each craft or group of workmen must display their own Blue Signals.
If the equipment is on a track other than a main track or controlled siding:
1. Attach a Blue Signal to the controlling engine(s) at a location where it will be clearly visible to an
employee at the controls of that engine.
2. Line each hand-operated switch providing access to the track against movement to the track, and
lock each switch with an effective locking device.
EXCEPTION: A derail locked in derailing position with an effective locking device may substitute
for the hand-operated switch requirement. The derail must be positioned no less than 150 feet
from the end of the equipment, except as follows. When equipment is in an Engine Servicing
Track Area or a Car Shop Repair Track Area, where maximum authorized speed is not more than
5 MPH, the derail must be positioned no less than 50 feet from the end of the equipment.
3. Display a Blue Signal at each of the hand-operated switch and/or derail locations mentioned
above.
4. Request and receive protection from the employee controlling any remotely controlled switches
that provide access to the track. This procedure also applies to hump yard classification tracks
where employees couple air hoses or adjust coupling devices.
If the equipment is on a main track or controlled siding:
1. Display a Blue Signal at each end of the equipment.
2. Attach a Blue Signal to the controlling engine(s) at a location where it will be clearly visible to an
employee at the controls of that engine.

c. Responsibilities of Employee Controlling Remotely Controlled Switches
When requested to provide protection, the employee in charge of remotely controlled switches providing
access to the track on which the equipment is located must line the switches against movement to the
track and apply blocking devices. The employee must not remove the blocking devices until informed by
the employee in charge of the workmen that the work has been completed. The employee controlling the
switches must immediately make a written record on the prescribed form of the application and removal of
the blocking device protection. This record must be retained for 15 days following the date of removal.

d. Blue Signal Unavailable
When emergency repair work is to be done on, under, or between engines and/or cars, and a Blue Signal
is not available, the Engineer must be notified. The Engineer must take three actions:
1. Apply the brakes.
2. Place the reverser lever in neutral position or the controller in off position.
3. Open the generator field and/or control switch where equipped.
The engineer must maintain this protection until notified by the employee who requested it that the
protection is no longer required.

e. Markers
Blue Signal protection must be provided for workmen when they are:
1. Replacing, repositioning or repairing markers, and the rear of the train is on any track.
2. Inspecting markers by repositioning the activation switch or covering photoelectric cell, and the
rear of the train is on a track other than a main track or controlled siding.

f. Alternate Protection for Utility Employees
A Utility Employee is a train and engine service employee who is temporarily assigned to a train or yard
crew to assist the crew in assembling, disassembling, or operating trains.
When the protection procedures and restrictions prescribed below have been complied with, Utility
Employees may engage in the following activities without blue signal protection: setting or releasing
brakes; coupling or uncoupling air hoses or other electrical or mechanical connections; preparing
equipment for coupling; setting wheel blocks or wheel chains; performing air brake tests, including the
cutting in or out of air brake components and the positioning of retaining valves; inspecting, testing,
installing, removing or replacing markers or end of train devices. Under all other circumstances a Utility
Employee working on, under or between equipment must have blue signal protection.
The following procedures and restrictions apply to the protection of Utility Employees:
1. A Utility Employee may perform service with only one train or yard crew at a time, and no more
than 3 Utility Employees may be assigned to the same crew.
2. The train or yard crew must be assigned a controlling engine that is under the control of the
assigned Engineer.
3. The Engineer must be in the cab of the controlling engine. If the engine is stationary, the
Engineer may be replaced in the cab by another crew member.
4. Before beginning any duties with a crew, the Utility Employee must obtain permission from the
crew's Conductor, or Engineer if no Conductor is assigned.
5. The Conductor, or Engineer if no Conductor is assigned, must notify each crew member of the
presence and identity of the Utility Employee before authorizing the Utility Employee to work as
part of the crew. Thereafter, communication must be maintained so that each crew member
understands the duties to be performed and whether those duties will cause any crew member to
go on, under, or between the equipment.
6.When the Utility Employee has finished working with the crew, the Utility Employee must notify
the Conductor, or Engineer if no Conductor is present, who in turn must notify each crew member
that the Utility Employee is no longer part of the crew. After each crew member has
acknowledged the Utility Employee is no longer part of the crew, the Utility Employee must be
notified that he is released from the crew.