Railroad Forums 

• NYSW 18

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#483269  by GOLDEN-ARM

I wanna know why the unit is numbered 18. The Q numbers Mu'able locos even numbers, non-Mu'able units odd numbers. I don't see a jumper receptacle anywhere........ Mechanics moving power with their own blue flags doesn't seem to be a problem. Is it those "cheesy"mustaches? :P

#483279  by Sid Farkus

Hey! That looks like the same mustache Jon Voight had in Runaway Train.

#483369  by EDM5970

Re the blue flag, agreed, lying on the floor on the fireman's side, or better yet, off the unit (or hidden in the passenger compartment) would be a better place to keep it. I wasn't here, and don't know the circumstances.

If the 18 is the old MCC Plymouth, it might not be an NYSW unit at all, but came from some industry. My recollection is that MCC gave it that number, based on it's weight in tons.

The odd/even thing is interesting, but I remember seeing photos of a GE 45T, purchased new to switch SeaLand. I seem to recall it having an even number like 200 or 250. I wonder where that number came from? Not from it's weight, and 300 would have been appropriate for it's horsepower.

#483418  by n01jd1

EDM5970 wrote:Re the blue flag, agreed, lying on the floor on the fireman's side, or better yet, off the unit (or hidden in the passenger compartment) would be a better place to keep it. I wasn't here, and don't know the circumstances.

If the 18 is the old MCC Plymouth, it might not be an NYSW unit at all, but came from some industry. My recollection is that MCC gave it that number, based on it's weight in tons.

The odd/even thing is interesting, but I remember seeing photos of a GE 45T, purchased new to switch SeaLand. I seem to recall it having an even number like 200 or 250. I wonder where that number came from? Not from it's weight, and 300 would have been appropriate for it's horsepower.
I believe that critter came from Drew Chemical originally before the MCC got it.

#483892  by Sid Farkus

It did come from Drew Chemical prior to NYSW.