Railroad Forums 

• NYA operates the Lower Montauk Branch now ???

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1127281  by Jayjay1213

Ken,

First let me say I agree the Roadrailers will not work on NYA. Especially the float idea. Switching these trains are a bitch, I have worked NS 261, 262 and 28A many times, so I speak from experience.

As for the height, they are very short, shorter the Dash 9's that commonly pull them. If the trailer is 13'6, then up on the bogie, it's maybe a tad over 14'. Look at some pictures and you can see the trailer wheels are not above the rail by much.

Back in 1999? NYA had actually talked with Amtrak about running their mail Roadrailers out to Hicksville, but it was deemed too crazy of an idea.

Jason