Railroad Forums 

• NYA in action

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #222536  by Legio X

At about 5:10pm today I saw a westbound NYA train through Hollis. Covered hoppers, boxcars (including a skelly-looking SOO LINE car) and a tankcar on the end. Power was a GP38-2, but I did'nt see the number. Anybody else see this train? Who did it service?

#222562  by tushykushy

I'm going to assume the SOO Line was for the Lindenhurst bakery... although there has been a lot of track work on the DEF siding on the east switch these days.

It was probably 271 since it's been out on the 80 for the past 2 nights running long hood foward quite a bit.

... I don't know man.. that horn sounds pretty freakin' sweet to me (Think Conrail)

That's all for now...

#222635  by emfinite

I hear that 271 has been caught drag racing cars on Long Island Ave. in Pinelawn the past few nights. Will the crews face any disciplinary consequence for this? :P

Joe
 #222672  by Ocala Mike

Jeez, Joe, who won the races? Must have made enough racket to wake up the dead in the cemetery.

#222939  by Long Island 7285

That thing shure would wake up the dead. Theres nothing like the uniquenes of NYA horns, Boys keep it comeing.

#226347  by Legio X

The siding at Pine-Aire under the Sagtikos Pkwy. was empty this afternoon around 3:15 when I passed over, but I only had a quick view to the east. I don't know if there was anything parked west of the overpass.

#226378  by jayrmli

You missed the RS-70. which pulled out 31 cars off the siding about a half hour previous.

Jay

#233809  by Legio X

This afternoon around 5pm there was a cut of cars parked under the Sagtikos Pkwy. overpass, and further down was what I believe to be the 151, because of the shade of green. This morning when I passed over around 7:25am, there was a longer cut of cars there. I guess there were some movements during the day?

#238275  by KFC Jones

Yesterday near the old Yard A, on the new track that goes along Amtrak's north runner, I saw three yellow Long Island engines (150 was leading) moving west. A minute later I saw why as the rear end of an NYA train came shoving behind them. About 10 cars, with another SW and lo and behold the newly painted 156. Looks very good. About 30 minutes later I saw the train leaving via the Montauk Cutoff Secondary Track with Fester at the throttle. I waved and he waved back! Also JP but the 3rd crewmember must have been riding low (sitting on a milk crate) because he was out of sight.

What job is this? 100? 301?

#291307  by Legio X

What was the power on the run out to Port Jefferson today, and why did'nt the power leave the train on the siding in Northport and make the run out to P.J. light? It sounded like a pretty long train when it came back west.

#291561  by John 61

Engines were 270 & 151. Went east with 5 cars if I counted correctly. Came west through Smithtown @ 12:15pm with 5. Picked up a boxcar and left a centerbeam. It's probably easier sometimes to take the whole train to Port Jeff. They probably were able to go right to Huntington since they had a meet with the easbound at Smithtown.

here's a link to a photo of todays power

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=157535

#301586  by Legio X

NYA W/B through Rosedale on Saturday, 09/30/06, with a GP38-2 leading gondolas loaded with C&D debris and an MP-15ac bringing up the rear. I could hear this train for about 45 seconds or so before I saw it. The Geep was roaring.

#307775  by Legio X

This morning at about 0915, 155 E/B just past Valley Stream with a boxcar, loaded centerbeam and a few tank cars with a sharp-looking 159 on the west end. Were these cars for Islip and Bridgehampton?

#307888  by SwitchMonkey

Gas = Bridgehampton
Box = Islip
Lumber = Sayville DEF

#309464  by Legio X

Did NYA run eastbound through Rosedale today around 0920? I was walking into work and heard (but could'nt see because of my building) what sounded like MP-15ac's and a consist of freight. It definitely was'nt an LIRR passenger train. Thanks.