Railroad Forums 

• NS Coal Train Derails on NEC at Perryman MD

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1593167  by JimBoylan

WashingtonPark wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:10 pmYou have a derailment between Wilmington and Baltimore and you suspend all service between Philadelphia and Washington? I always try to support AMTRAK but they don't seem to want support from the general public.
All through service was suspended between Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and Jacksonville, Florida or Indianapolis, Indiana, including branches to Newport News and Norfolk, Virginia. Trains between Philadelphia and New Orleans, Louisiana or Roanoke, Virginia did not run North of Washington, D.C.
 #1593171  by STrRedWolf

JimBoylan wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:14 pm
WashingtonPark wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:10 pmYou have a derailment between Wilmington and Baltimore and you suspend all service between Philadelphia and Washington? I always try to support AMTRAK but they don't seem to want support from the general public.
All through service was suspended between Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and Jacksonville, Florida or Indianapolis, Indiana, including branches to Newport News and Norfolk, Virginia. Trains between Philadelphia and New Orleans, Louisiana or Roanoke, Virginia did not run North of Washington, D.C.
The question here is "where was the equipment at the time of derailment?"

If the equipment designated for the service was all the way up in NYC, and you can't get it down... only other thing you can do is cancel and reschedule passengers. The track layout in Perryville to go NEC-NS-CSX and the Bayview (Baltimore) yards does not lend to a nice detour route. Would be nice! But no.
 #1593173  by JoeG

It's always seemed to me that Amtrak's managerial compensation system must penalize for lateness but not for cancellations. Amtrak is all to ready to cancel trains, such as for future snowstorms that never materialize.
 #1593174  by R36 Combine Coach

Bracdude181 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:53 pm That’s a fairly big area of suspended service. Even when NJT derailed in Perth Amboy a little while back the service was only suspended between South Amboy and Woodbridge…
When 188 crashed, the suspension was between PHL-30th Street and Trenton. NJT offered connecting shuttle
service between Trenton and West Trenton.
 #1593177  by lionel

Question: Why was a Norfolk Southern freight train carrying coal on the busy NEC during the day? CSX has a nearby parallel freight line. Was this a local delivery to a power plant on an NEC spur? If so, why aren't local freights handled off peak on the electrified NEC?

Or does Norfolk Southern detest CSX so much they managed to deal with Amtrak instead of using trackage rights on the ol' B&O line?
 #1593188  by scratchyX1

lionel wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:13 am Question: Why was a Norfolk Southern freight train carrying coal on the busy NEC during the day? CSX has a nearby parallel freight line. Was this a local delivery to a power plant on an NEC spur? If so, why aren't local freights handled off peak on the electrified NEC?

Or does Norfolk Southern detest CSX so much they managed to deal with Amtrak instead of using trackage rights on the ol' B&O line?
it's going to the Former PRR port in canton. I am wondering why they don't hand it off to CSX in philly, since they can interchange both there, and at bayview.
 #1593200  by Gilbert B Norman

scratchyX1 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:14 am It's going to the Former PRR port in canton. I am wondering why they don't hand it off to CSX in philly, since they can interchange both there, and at bayview.
Mr. Scratchy, why would Topper give Chessie anymore of the Bill than he.must - especially when he can keep it all.