Railroad Forums 

• Norfolk Southern Heritage Units.

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #1053400  by blockline4180

Windseeker1 wrote:Been a while since a new unvieling. Family portrait day is drawing near with quite a few to go. Looking forward to the Lackawanna unit myself.

The Wabash unit should come out this week, and maybe another... Patience is a virtue!
 #1053478  by Dewoc19

im really looking forward to the Illinois Terminal one, that bright green is just something incredible.... i may be the only one but i like the out there schemes and colors
 #1053490  by blockline4180

So what is NS doing with the extra gray, maroon and yellow paint???? I'm sure there will be some leftover after the DL&W engine is complete!
 #1053617  by scottychaos

terminalfanatic wrote:Why did NS decide to alter the LV paint scheme? Something not done correctly?
basically, yes..
Nearly all of the Heritage units so far have been met with universal acclaim, (as they should! because they are amazing!)
but the LV unit, as originally painted, left a lot of LV fans scratching their heads..
everyone liked it fine, but there was a universal feeling that "well, its good, but it could be better"..
(some people suggest that people "complained" about it..as a LV fan, who is tuned into EVERY LV railfan forum in existence,
I would like to clear up that misconception..No one "complained"..no one said it was "bad"..Everyone just said "a few changes, and it would be much better".
there is a difference between "complaining" and "constructive criticism"..)
For example, the original version had a LV diamond bordered in yellow..which never appeared on a LV unit,
And for this particular scheme, the handrails were always orange..

NS has said all along that they desire to make these schemes "as accurate as possible", so, to their credit, they listened to what LV fans and historians had to say,
and decided to bring the LV unit back to the paint shop for some tweaking! Image
And the result is MUCH better! I think everyone will be satisfied now! ;)
They added the stripes to the nose and pilot, made a "proper" LV diamond on the nose,
painted the handrails orange, and re-did the flag on the side of the nose, which looks much better.

A major issue with the LV unit in particular is that the particular scheme chosen (the LV's Alco C628 scheme in Red)
doesn't really translate perfectly to a modern wide-cab..but they pulled it off!
I was originally against the stripes on the nose..I thought it wouldn't look good, but now that I see the unit, I take that back! ;)
it looks fabulous! :)
The LV unit is now just as amazing as the rest of them..it just needed a few tweaks to make it better..
thanks NS! Image

Scot
Last edited by scottychaos on Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1053637  by MEC407

Well said, Scot!

Here's another shot of the LV unit with the new nose treatment:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=400359

And here's a "before" shot for comparison:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=397059
 #1053663  by blockline4180

scottychaos wrote:
terminalfanatic wrote:Why did NS decide to alter the LV paint scheme? Something not done correctly?
basically, yes..
Nearly all of the Heritage units so far have been met with universal acclaim, (as they should! because they are amazing!)
but the LV unit, as originally painted, left a lot of LV fans scratching their heads..
everyone liked it fine, but there was a universal feeling that "well, its good, but it could be better"..
(some people suggest that people "complained" about it..as a LV fan, who is tuned into EVERY LV railfan forum in existence,
I would like to clear up that misconception..No one "complained"..no one said it was "bad"..Everyone just said "a few changes, and it would be much better".
there is a difference between "complaining" and "constructive criticism"..)
For example, the original version had a LV diamond bordered in yellow..which never appeared on a LV unit,
And for this particular scheme, the handrails were always orange..

NS has said all along that they desire to make these schemes "as accurate as possible", so, to their credit, they listened to what LV fans and historians had to say,
and decided to bring the LV unit back to the paint shop for some tweaking! Image
And the result is MUCH better! I think everyone will be satisfied now! ;)
They added the stripes to the nose and pilot, made a "proper" LV diamond on the nose,
painted the handrails orange, and re-did the flag on the side of the nose, which looks much better.

A major issue with the LV unit in particular is that the particular scheme chosen (the LV's Alco C628 scheme in Red)
doesn't really translate perfectly to a modern wide-cab..but they pulled it off!
I was originally against the stripes on the nose..I thought it wouldn't look good, but now that I see the unit, I take that back! ;)
it looks fabulous! :)
The LV unit is now just as amazing as the rest of them..it just needed a few tweaks to make it better..
thanks NS! Image

Scot

Yup, agree with you there as always!! Great job NS!!

NOW, I have some money in my pocket to entice someone, ANYONE to do a Erie-Lackawanna Railway heritage unit!!
And.............. enough with the "its too similar to the DL&W painted unit" as a Yellow and Black painted EL could be done..... It was originally planned, so it should not have been dropped like the other railroads that were on the list were!!!
 #1053778  by kitn1mcc

the changes made to the LV does make a huge difference

i wonder if NS plans on maybe doing some thing other than just black for a paint scheme. these repaints really do show they have some talented painters
 #1053974  by Jeff Smith

Some more from the Norfolk Southern facebook site: https://www.facebook.com/#!/norfolksouthern
Attachments:
Viriginian1
Viriginian1
Virginian 1.jpg (216.6 KiB) Viewed 3779 times
Attachments:
Museum 1
(336.84 KiB) Downloaded 3678 times
 #1054268  by Jeff Smith

My pleasure Steve, but thanks go to NS for putting them on Facebook, where I download and then upload. All credit to them.

Here's the business train off that same site; an F unit qualifies as heritage, right?
Attachments:
BusTrain1
BusTrain1
Business Train 1.jpg (304.71 KiB) Viewed 3701 times
 #1054890  by MEC407

Monongahela heritage unit unveiled: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=400702

(It's a Super-7 on steroids!)