Railroad Forums 

• New York-Chicago

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#684313  by FRN9

Do you mean building alongside existing roads in general or just to get out of NYC? I am assuming that the roads won't be straight enough for LGV tracks to allow for trains to go 220mph.

TGV trains can share tracks with existing trains, but is this an issue for FRA certification given the crash test issues?
 #684447  by george matthews

FRN9 wrote:Do you mean building alongside existing roads in general or just to get out of NYC? I am assuming that the roads won't be straight enough for LGV tracks to allow for trains to go 220mph.

TGV trains can share tracks with existing trains, but is this an issue for FRA certification given the crash test issues?
Newly built TGV lines tend to follow motorways rather than old lines. There's a lot of talk here about resurrecting old lines for fast routes. In Britain it cost more to increase the speed on the West Coast line than a completely new TGV line would have cost - and the refurbished line isn't very reliable anyway.

As to whether TGV trains can use ordinary tracks, that's for the US to sort out. The Regulations need to be changed.
Last edited by george matthews on Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #685154  by Nasadowsk

george matthews wrote:As to whether TGV trains can use ordinary tracks, that's for the US to sort out. The Regulations need to be changed.
Under our current moronic FRA regulations, the TGV is effectively illegal. Even California's separated system is getting the FRA to stick their nose into it.

Interestingly, the FRA can't regulate you at all if you're not 4 ft 8.5 inches. Thus, California could theoretically set their gauge to 5 feet (I think Bart's 5 feet), and the FRA can't do a thing to them. Maybe Bart to San Jose isn't such a stupid idea afterall....
 #685161  by george matthews

Interestingly, the FRA can't regulate you at all if you're not 4 ft 8.5 inches.
That is bizarre. How does that come about?

BART uses Spanish gauge.
 #685173  by Nasadowsk

george matthews wrote:
Interestingly, the FRA can't regulate you at all if you're not 4 ft 8.5 inches.
That is bizarre. How does that come about?

BART uses Spanish gauge.
It's the way the legislation's written.
 #687353  by lpetrich

NYC - Chicago strikes me as a rather long shot, even assuming TGV speeds. To get an idea of what one may expect, let us estimate the speed of the Paris-Lyon TGV. Its best scheduled time is 1h 51m, and the distance along paralleling highways is 289 mi, giving an average speed of 156 mph.

Let us now consider various NYC-Chicago routes, using Google Maps highway distances, as with Paris-Lyon.

First, the populations of those two cities' metropolitan areas: 18.8m and 9.8m. Most of the cities along the way are not nearly as populous.

All the routes will share Cleveland, OH as an intermediate stop. Its population is 2.3m, one of the largest in between. Nearby Akron has 0.7m, and is thus less suitable.

Cleveland is at a respectable distance from Chicago for HSR service: 344 mi, or a travel time of 2h 12m. Toledo has 0.7m people and South Bend 0.1m.

The shortest NYC-Chicago route is by I-80 through central Pennsylvania. Its distance is 806 mi and its travel time 5h 10m. The largest city along the way is Youngstown, OH, at 0.6m, and my former home of State College, PA is 0.04m. It is also a very mountainous route.

Looking southward and using the PRR/NS/Amtrak ROW through Philadelphia, at 5.8m, Harrisburg at 0.5m, Pittsburgh, at 2.5m, and Youngstown, I find 883 mi and travel time 5h 40m. NYC - Pittsburgh would make a respectable HSR route at 406 mi or 2h 36m, though it would require much construction in western Pennsylvania's mountains.

Looking northward to NY's Southern TIer and the former Nickel Plate route through Scranton, PA, at 0.5m, Binghamton, NY at 0.2m, and Erie, PA at 0.3m, I find 890 mi and 5h 43m. It is also rather mountainous, and only parts of it may be Nickel Plate (I'm recalling an old map).

Further northward to the NYC/CSX Water Level route through Albany, at 1.1m, Syracuse, at 0.7m, Rochester, at 1.1m, Buffalo, NY, at 1.3m, and Erie, I find 972 mi or 6h 14m. Construction will be the easiest, but it will be the slowest route, at over 1 hour more than the most direct route. The NYC - Buffalo distance is 435 mi, or 2h 47m. It is a bit of a stretch for HSR, but it is still reasonable.

Summary:

The shortest route goes through a lot of thinly populated mountains. A Philly-Pittsburgh route would be somewhat longer, but it would require less mountain construction, and it would serve some respectable-sized populations. An Albany-Buffalo route would be even longer, but it would require even less mountain construction, and would still serve some respectable-sized populations.

It would be difficult to justify a NYC-Chicago HSR line unless one could serve cities in between, meaning that one ought to use use either the Philly-Pittsburgh route or the Albany-Buffalo route. This would make it a concatenated-corridor route, with many of its passengers going distances shorter than the complete route.
 #687384  by FRN9

lpetrich wrote:NYC - Chicago strikes me as a rather long shot, even assuming TGV speeds. To get an idea of what one may expect, let us estimate the speed of the Paris-Lyon TGV. Its best scheduled time is 1h 51m, and the distance along paralleling highways is 289 mi, giving an average speed of 156 mph.

Let us now consider various NYC-Chicago routes, using Google Maps highway distances, as with Paris-Lyon.

First, the populations of those two cities' metropolitan areas: 18.8m and 9.8m. Most of the cities along the way are not nearly as populous.

All the routes will share Cleveland, OH as an intermediate stop. Its population is 2.3m, one of the largest in between. Nearby Akron has 0.7m, and is thus less suitable.

Cleveland is at a respectable distance from Chicago for HSR service: 344 mi, or a travel time of 2h 12m. Toledo has 0.7m people and South Bend 0.1m.

The shortest NYC-Chicago route is by I-80 through central Pennsylvania. Its distance is 806 mi and its travel time 5h 10m. The largest city along the way is Youngstown, OH, at 0.6m, and my former home of State College, PA is 0.04m. It is also a very mountainous route.

Looking southward and using the PRR/NS/Amtrak ROW through Philadelphia, at 5.8m, Harrisburg at 0.5m, Pittsburgh, at 2.5m, and Youngstown, I find 883 mi and travel time 5h 40m. NYC - Pittsburgh would make a respectable HSR route at 406 mi or 2h 36m, though it would require much construction in western Pennsylvania's mountains.

Looking northward to NY's Southern TIer and the former Nickel Plate route through Scranton, PA, at 0.5m, Binghamton, NY at 0.2m, and Erie, PA at 0.3m, I find 890 mi and 5h 43m. It is also rather mountainous, and only parts of it may be Nickel Plate (I'm recalling an old map).

Further northward to the NYC/CSX Water Level route through Albany, at 1.1m, Syracuse, at 0.7m, Rochester, at 1.1m, Buffalo, NY, at 1.3m, and Erie, I find 972 mi or 6h 14m. Construction will be the easiest, but it will be the slowest route, at over 1 hour more than the most direct route. The NYC - Buffalo distance is 435 mi, or 2h 47m. It is a bit of a stretch for HSR, but it is still reasonable.

Summary:

The shortest route goes through a lot of thinly populated mountains. A Philly-Pittsburgh route would be somewhat longer, but it would require less mountain construction, and it would serve some respectable-sized populations. An Albany-Buffalo route would be even longer, but it would require even less mountain construction, and would still serve some respectable-sized populations.

It would be difficult to justify a NYC-Chicago HSR line unless one could serve cities in between, meaning that one ought to use use either the Philly-Pittsburgh route or the Albany-Buffalo route. This would make it a concatenated-corridor route, with many of its passengers going distances shorter than the complete route.
Great points. I have a few ideas that could perhaps make these choices better.

First, if this idea is to make sense, the NYC-Chicago route has to be more attractive than airtravel, which means TGV technology will not work for these distances. The AGV technology that California is banking on is the minimum. Because the distances are longer then the average speed can be greater (big assumption given the terrain). But at a top speed of 220MPH, it is possible to imagine a higher average speed than 156 MPH on this route. Therefore the route should be as short as possible and as straight as possible, while being near to population centers where possible. Make sense?

So what route could work? How about the following:

NYC PENN STATION

Allentown/Reading (near Lehigh Valley regional airport)
(using old CNJ mainline, route 78, etc)

Pittsburgh-Franklin Park, PA (near ints of Rt 79 and rt 76 or north of there, 14.3 miles from Pittsburgh proper)
Perhaps new airport could be build in this area to join train station
(route would be straight as much as possible from Allentown)

Cleveland-Akron (Richfield, OH - 20 miles from both Cleveland and Akron in the middle) Near triangle of I77, I71 and I80. Perhaps new airport could be built here as well.

Toledo Express Airport (near I80)

Goshen, IN (20 miles south from Southbend, IN)

CHICAGO

Here are some spur connections that could use this route:

PHILADELPHIA TO ALLENTOWN TO CHICAGO
WASHINGTON, DC to HARRISBURG (joining north of) TO CHICAGO
BINGHAMTON to SCRANTON to ALLENTOWN to NYC and CHICAGO
DETROIT to NYC and CHICAGO

The spurs could use existing rail ROWs to reach the mainline and would not have to be the fastest (220MPH) grade track.

The idea is to not put stations through towns, but at highway intersections and near existing airports (even planning new ones).

Trains obviously would run express NYC to Chicago, but also could run with stops in between to serve localities.
 #687463  by lpetrich

I don't think that bypassing Philadelphia or Harrisburg would be a good idea. Allentown has a population of 0.7m and Altoona 0.1m -- Altoona is the biggest city between Allentown and Pittsburgh that's near the route.

Using a user-contributed Google-Maps add-on called the Distance Measuring Tool, I measured some great-circle distances; those are the shortest ones on a sphere.

I did that for NYC-Pittsburgh, and I found 316 mi, as opposed to the I-76 highway distance of 378 mi, a savings of 62 mi. Doing that for Allentown-Pissburgh only reveals a savings of 55 mi, and likewise for Harrisburg-Pittsburgh a savings of 38 mi.

So you'd save about 15 - 20 minutes by constructing a straight new right-of-way instead of improving or paralleling existing ones.
 #687538  by FRN9

I know what you mean about bypassing Philadelphia, but it is slow moving through Philadelphia and AGV technology will require a new ROW. A line could be added between Philadelphia and Allentown that would allow Philadelphia to join the line there and 15-20 minutes here and there adds up. The goal would be to keep the distance down to 800 miles between NYC and Chicago and get the average speed up to 200MPH for non-stop trains to keep the trip at 4 hours. This is very difficult (if not impossible), given that it will be slow entering and exiting NYC and Chicago, so stops in between can be in remote locations (like airports, the way the French do it) in order to save time between the endpoints.

Going slightly south through Allentown rather than north to Scranton (via the cutoff) would mean an easy connection for the spur from Philadelphia, plus the spur going north to Scranton would connect these points to the Northeast corridor as well.

Thanks for the tip on the distance measuring tool, I will check it out.
 #688179  by 2nd trick op

Youthful enthusiasm to the contrary, I can't see any brand-new separated-grade HSR system east of the Mississippi emerging due to the high costs of right-of-way and NIMBY opposition. If passenger rail service is to evolve into a significant player in the Middle Atlantic, Great Lakes, and Upper Midwest regions, it will have to be by a gradual upgrade of speeds along existant routes .... not that far-fetched a proposition if energy pressures continue to diminish the suitability and comfort of long-distance auto travel.

And given that scenario, the competition for the current limited supply of rail capacity is likely to intensify, with the former NYC "Water Level" Albany-Buffalo-Cleveland-Chicago route as the principal object of contention. Since most of this route formerly supported four main tracks, the capacity should be there, but if technology gradually pushes speeds upward, 80MPH to 110MPH to 150MPH, the old disparities which first led to the development of four-track mains will reappear, and that, in turn, leads to the safety conflicts first spawned by the Chase accident twenty yers ago.

A revival of the former West Shore might be possible in some areas: CSX still uses one portion, now single-tracked, as a bypass around Rochester, but I'm not sure what has happend regarding development in other areas. So another alternative might be to use the former Erie main (now part of NS), much of which is still intact as far west as Youngstown/Akron, and has the advantage of bypassing Buffalo, for diverted freight. But there remains a small issue of CSX' attitude toward diversion of its traffic to a line owned and dispatched by its principal competitor, not to mention the Gulf Summit grade, a very hefty consideration in a time when energy efficiency, and the simple physical obstacles which determine it, are usually a prime concern of top freight rail executives.

With regard to a service via Harrisburg and Pittsburgh, the issue is probably less contentious; NS began proposing an alternative transcontinental route via Roanke and Memphis several years ago. But a check of topographic maps shows that the high cost and slower speeds mandated by bigger physical obstacles, and the curvature they dictate, sets in not at Altoona, but at Harrisburg. East of the Keystone State's capital, the former RDG East Penn line would be a more direct approach to New York, but the three-dozen-or-so freights which presently use it would have to be either accomodated with extra track capacity (with the safety concerns cited above), or diverted by reactivating the former PRR Trenton Cutoff.

The grade-centered issue is nothing new; historians of the old Philadelphia and Erie, which became Pennsy's Northern Division, have long recognized that things might have turned out differently if that line had built from Driftwood, Penna, to DuBois (using the lowest crossing of the Appalachians by rail, requiring no helpers, and at one time home to a B&O/BR&P line as well) then turned toward the lakes. And until the crash of 1929, both PRR and the Van Sweringens had visions of a freight-only trunk line bypassing both Pittsburgh and Buffalo, thereby freeing up more capacity for passengers.

But the central point remains that creation of an East Coast-Midwest HSR network isn't likely to be addressed unless the proposed California plan becomes an unqualifed success, and at that point the short-sighted reduction in Eastern trunk line rail capacity will become a major factor. And the high cost and fixed nature of the plant guarantee a need for public-sector involvement, with all the wrangling and delay that that condition entails.
Last edited by 2nd trick op on Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #688841  by FRN9

2nd trick op wrote:Youthful enthusiasm to the contrary, I can't see any brand-new separated-grade HSR system east of the Mississippi emerging due to the high costs of right-of-way and NIMBY opposition. If passenger rail service is to evolve into a significant player in the Middle Atlantic, Great Lakes, and Upper Midwest regions, it will have to be by a gradual upgrade of speeds along existant routes .... not that far-fetched a proposition if energy pressures continue to diminish the suitability and comfort of long-distance auto travel.

And given that scenario, the competition for the current limited supply of rail capacity is likely to intensify, with the former NYC "Water Level" Albany-Buffalo-Cleveland-Chicago route as the principal object of contention. Since most of this route formerly supported four main tracks, the capacity should be there, but if technology gradually pushes speeds upward, 80MPH to 110MPH to 150MPH, the old disparities which first led to the development of four-track mains will reappear, and that, in turn, leads to the safety conflicts first spawned by the Chase accident to twenty yers ago.

A revival of the former West Shore might be possible in some areas: CSX still uses one portion, now single-tracked, as a bypass around Rochester, but I'm not sure what has happend regarding development in other areas. So another alternative might be to use the former Erie main (now part of NS), much of which is still intact as far west as Youngstown/Akron, and has the advantage of bypassing Buffalo, for diverted freight. But there remains a small issue of CSX' attitude toward diversion of its traffic to a line owned and dispatched by its principal competitor, not to mention the Gulf Summit grade, a very hefty consideration in a time when energy efficiency, and the simple physical obstacles which determine it, are usually a prime concern of top freight rail executives.

With regard to a service via Harrisburg and Pittsburgh, the issue is probably less contentious; NS began proposing an alternative transcontinental route via Roanke and Memphis several years ago. But a check of topographic maps shows that the high cost and slower speeds mandated by bigger physical obstacles, and the curvature they dictate, sets in not at Altoona, but at Harrisburg. East of the Keystone State's capital, the former RDG East Penn line would be a more direct approach to New York, but the three-dozen-or-so freights which presently use it would have to be either accomodated with extra track capacity (with the safety concerns cited above), or diverted by reactivating the former PRR Trenton Cutoff.

The grade-centered issue is nothing new; historians of the old Philadelphia and Erie, which became Pennsy's Northern Division, have long recognized that things might have turned out differently if that line had built from Driftwood, Penna, to DuBois (using the lowest crossing of the Appalachians by rail, requiring no helpers, and at one time home to a B&O/BR&P line as well) then turned toward the lakes. And until the crash of 1929, both PRR and the Van Sweringens had visions of a freight-only trunk line bypassing both Pittsburgh and Buffalo, thereby freeing up more capacity for passengers.

But the central point remains that creation of an East Coast-Midwest HSR network isn't likely to be addressed unless the proposed California plan becomes an unqualifed success, and at that point the short-sighted reduction in Eastern trunk line rail capacity will become a major factor. And the high cost and fixed nature of the plant guarantee a need for public-sector involvement, with all the wrangling and delay that that condition entails.
You bring up a good point with the idea of reusing existing rail, but here is the argument for a new TGV style route:

1. They are doing it in California, which has very expensive real estate and NIMBY issues, etc.
2. The population of San Francisco and Sacramento is nothing compared to Chicago and NYC to Chicago (and points in between through spurs) would greatly reduce air traffic.

I realize it is based on future propositions (AGV technology) and the ability to engineer a route that would be straight enough to maintain long periods of time when the train is travelling at its top 220MPH speed and this would be very dificult, if not impossible given the mountainous terrain of central PA. But I think it is worth studying the way the CalHSR has been studied, for the route would provide service to all cities between NYC and Washington traveling west to Chicago.
 #689267  by lpetrich

Let's look at some more numbers:

San Francisco Bay Area population (from Wikipedia on Oakland): 7.3m
Los Angeles: 12.9m
Sacramento: 2.1m

The SF Bay Area and Sacramento approximately equal Chicago, while the LA area is a bit behind NYC, so the populations are comparable.

An approximation of the planned CA HSR route is: San Francisco - Gilroy - Madera - Mojave - Los Angeles

The Google-Maps highway distance is 463 mi. At French TGV speeds of 156 mph, it would take 2h 58m.

Checking on CHSRA's site, that distance is 432 mi and its travel time 2h 38m, giving an average speed of 164 mph.

I still think that it's a bad idea to bypass Philadelphia, because it is more populous than the Water Level Route's cities combined. The simplest way to access Philly's 30th St. Station is to change ends and reverse direction there, even though it is a through station and not a stub-end one. Most high-speed trainsets are double-ended, so that should not be difficult.
 #689298  by lpetrich

Since the Pennsylvania routes will likely require a lot of tunneling, let us compare some some tunneling projects now underway in Switzerland:

Lötschberg Base Tunnel (completion estimate)
Length: 35 km / 21 mi
Cost: $4.3 billion

Gotthard Base Tunnel
Length: 57 km / 35 mi
Cost: $6.4 billion

I could not find a construction-time estimate for Lötschberg, but I could find it for Gotthard: about 14 years.

-

Turning to costs, the estimated cost of the CA HSR project is about $34 billion, and spread over the SF - Irvine distance of 502 mi, it implies a cost of $68m/mi.

The LGV Sud-Est has a length of 409 km / 254 mi and a cost of 3.5 billion 2007 Euros ($4.9 billion), yielding $19m/mi.

The LGV Est has a length of 300 km / 186 mi and a cost of 4 billion Euros ($5.6 billion), yielding $30m/mi.

Those two Swiss tunnels cost $200m/mi and $180m/mi, respectively.

The most direct route would cost $24 - $54 billion if one ignores tunneling, and adding 2 times the length of the Gotthard Base Tunnel (rather subjective estimate) yields about $8 billion extra, or $32 - $62 billion.

A southern-Pennsylvania route may need only one Gotthard length of tunneling, and it could use the existing NYC-Philly and Philly-Harrisburg rights of way. Assuming 50% cost to improve the latter yields a total cost of $23 - $53 billion, and with $4 billion of tunneling yields $27 - $57 billion.
 #689370  by FRN9

Great work in figuring this out. Here are a few questions:

Given that LGV routes are new so that they can be straight what are the ramifications of using the old route for speed? Given that the length is greater and the equipment would be newer, would it be possible to up the average speed or would the line stop us from doing that. If it were possible to get 190MPH out of the line from NYC to Chicago that could be tremendous in terms of pulling people away from air travel.
 #689405  by 2nd trick op

Since Mr. Petrich and I are both former residents of Happy Valley (Pennsylvania's answer to "Neverland" :-) ) and since almost every Penn State grad used to get some exposure to the earth and mineral sciences, I think he will back me up on some of these observations.

As I pointed out a few posts ago, the inhospitable terrain for railroading in southern Pennsylvania actually begins on the west shore of the Susquehanna, and runs on a southwest-northeast axis. The reason is a series of sandstone ridges, each of which has to be surmounted or tunneled. Thats why the Pennsylvania Turnpike (which, as many of us know, is built largely on the grade of Vanderbilt's stillborn South Penn Railroad) formerly had five tunnels, two eliminated back in the late 1960's by building new highway that climbed over the ridges, between Carlisle and Bedford. The original South Penn also included another tunnel or two that the highway planners found not worth the effort to incorporate.

West of a line running paralell to US Route 220 between Williamsport and Cumberland lies the Allegheny Plateau, a much larger mass of stable rock. The former PRR main surmounted this obstacle, after following all the twists and turns of the Juniata, via both the Horseshoe and Muleshoe Curves, but once that obsacle was addressed, the worst was over. The Pennsy's Low Grade Branch/Secondary Track diverged from the Northern Region mains to Buffalo at Driftwood and, as previously cited, reaches DuBois by following the West Branch of the Susqeuhanna, then crossing the Eastern Continental Divide on a suprsingly mild approach that was once shared with B&O predecessor Buffalo and Susquehanna.

The New York Central, through its Beech Creek Railway predecessor, also climbed this escarpment at one time using a line from Willamsport via the near-ghost towns of Monument, Orviston and Kato, but it turned south toward the strip mines of Clearfield County before resuming progress westward via Clearfield and Franklin. That line was later abandoned in favor of PRR trackage rights between Jersey Shore and a connection with the NYC-controlled West Branch Valley at Keating.

In contrast, the former NYC "water level" main line faced only a series of short grades approaching the headwaters of the Mohawk at Little Falls, and the Niagara Escarpment, which was also the raison d'etre for the Erie Canal's series of locks at Lockport.

My point in reviewing this little history/geology lesson is simply this: Railroading is a very efficient technology precisely because its high volumes and low expense are attained at the cost of severe restrictions on grades and curvature. Passenger operations are somewhat more accomodating in this regard; witness the higher grades incorporated into some of the new European systems.

It's going to take a whole lotta education before even the rudiments of the tradeoffs cited above can be inculcated into the minds of the public and their elected servants. California's HSR project is going to face the first hurdle (literally!) as the hard choices in surmounting the mountain passes north of the Los Angeles basin get greater media exposure and public input/scrutiny. In the meantime, the Albany-Cleveland-Chicago routing offers a laboratory for experimentation more likely to produce positive results, and over shorter time horizons.
Last edited by 2nd trick op on Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.