Railroad Forums 

• New NYCH operator?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #452723  by rb

From Progressive Railroading:

NYC economic development agency seeks Brooklyn Waterfront Railroad operator

The New York City Economic Development Corp. (NYCEDC) is accepting proposals from qualified rail operators to provide switching, maintenance and other services for the Brooklyn Waterfront Railroad. Proposals are due Oct. 26.

The selected company will manage the railroad's operations, including rail transfer bridges; complete all necessary capital improvements; secure interchange agreements; and provide security.

The railroad operates the 51st Street and 65th Street yards, and Brooklyn Army Terminal. NYCEDC manages the railroad's assets.

http://www.progressiverailroading.com/p ... p?id=11505

#452732  by Nova55

NYCH has been gone for over a year now..

DEC sure has gone a long way from trying to push them out now they want them...I would love to see how this works out if NYNJ still holds the property lease.

Im willing to bet that NYNJ gets the contract..being that they run it now, have the experience, own there engines, and Greenville...the only site in NJ with a floatbridge..

#452768  by Scrap em Again

Those guys change management, employees and corporate names more often than a homeless bum changes his shorts.

#452816  by Sir Ray

Ok, I'm confused again.
I understand that NYEDC owns the 65th St. yard, and quite possibly some Army Terminal trackage, but I thought NYNJ owned everything else (especially the 51st Brooklyn float yard - which is why they had no desire to use (and pay rent for) the 65th St. yard in the first place). Are Bloomie's minions pulling 'truthiness' out of their hinies again? (and speaking of hinies, I don't think your average homeless person has a particularly large underwear wardrobe to change with)

#452859  by Nova55

The city owns the property outright. They took it over in 72 when Bush went out and subleased it to NY Dock ( in turn going to NYCH ). The operations, track etc all that are owned by the county, the engines by NYNJ, who does the switching. NYNJ owns Greenvilles buildings, bridged etc but the land is leased from CR for $1 a year.

#452860  by DogBert

There was an ny times article on this the other day with a bit more detail. it seems the EDC is trying to get csx or ns to take over. I don't know what makes them think either would be more successful than CP who tried to market 65th st. yard and didn't get much of anything in the way of business.
 #453200  by freightguy

I worked there for a short period. It was very unique compared to other operations throughout the country and even the world. It also draws alot of railfans for both business and pleasure. They still have their original freight and enginehouse on First Ave. in Brooklyn. I'll probably stop by next week to take a couple shots. I remember supposedly NS was going to be their main interchange partner way back in 1998, Railpace, Trains, and Railnews!

#459467  by Mr rt

It's my understanding that the City won't let NYNJ (NY Cross Harbor) use that building any more. This is why a switcher is put on the barge in NJ.
In another thread it was reported that NYNJ re-built the float (fixed the leak).

#459553  by Nova55

You mean this building they keep the engine in at night?

They have switchers on both sides...no need to put them on the barge unless a power swap is needed. City tried kicking them out..STB had other things to say..

#461792  by Mr rt

OK, I stand corrected ... thought they were locked out of that building.

#461911  by jayrmli

You gotta just love that railroad! No matter what happens, they hold on tighter than lead paint on toys made in China! :-D

Jay

#461926  by hrfcarl

Talking about paint, anyone got or knows where pics of their engines in the new green & red scheme? Their site only has one.

Also, anyone have a good map of their ROW in Brooklyn through the streets?

Thanks.

#461942  by BMT

hrfcarl: I should have a rough map of their trackage along the streets of Sunset Park...gotta find it in the 'archives' (aka somewhere in my pile of railroad documents).

BTW, the new green and red scheme -- this could be a deliberate 'homage' to the old BEDT system that had those colors on their tugs.

#462327  by hrfcarl

A rough map would be fine - better than anything I have found so far. Thanks.

#505551  by PVRX1

Anything new with this NY&A neighbor?

Do they only have two locomotives? SW1200 2293 and SW1500 1133?