Railroad Forums 

• New NYCH operator?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.

#505577  by Nova55

Yup...Lots of rebuilding going on there...

#505679  by DogBert

I was in that area over the weekend and noticed a long string of those trash containers on TOFC cars from maspeth at the interchange - is cross harbor now handling some or all of that traffic? I think I saw some leaving on csx recently but i haven't paid too much attention lately...
 #527829  by hrfcarl

Why did the variuos cross harbor railroads use tug boat & barge combos vs self powered ferries for the float bridges?

#527885  by jtunnel

Lots of points for waterside interchange. A lot cheaper to put it on a barge, push it to the destination, be it a Terminal in the Bronx, a pier station in Manhattan, alongside a ship in the harbor or a rail yard in Brooklyn.

You could own a bunch of barges and then only need a few tugs to move things around.

At the time there were lots of locations a freight car on a barge could go. Car ferries work best over a fixed point to point route.

Since there is only one route now, someone did propose a RO-RO (roll on - roll-off) service a decade or so ago using a car ferry.