Railroad Forums 

• New Haven EF-1 Model

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #1097448  by AndrewCudgewa

Ha! Indeed. I should also drop the leading pantograph Hey, sorry about that.....Interestingly the Victorian Railways allowed either leading or trailing pantograph to be up, though typically it was the trailing pantograph that was utilised, from pictures the NH seems to have a "trailing panto" ruling.

Thanks for your kind compliment also.

Cheers, Andrew
 #1097471  by chnhrr

Andrew

As I predicted a first rate job. Now if you could do my naked New Haven EF-2 (only kidding!). I see from your blog photos that in Australia they used/use the British buffer and chain coupling as opposed to the American knuckle system.

Chuck
 #1098046  by AndrewCudgewa

Hi Chuck,

Thank you again for the kind compliment. That's a great looking model (of a good looking prototype!).

The Victorian Railways started autocoupling (fitting buckeyes) to their stock in the late 1920s, but the Depression and WW2 intervened so the program was delayed. Nearly all freight stock was converted by the early 1950s and buffers were removed then from most. Only certain coaches retained buffers and screw-link couplings. During this intervening period, the VR used a dual coupling that could connect to either. I have modelled a workable version of this, however obviously a bit bigger than scale to ensure it works, picture below.

Cheers, Andrew