Railroad Forums 

• New Haven EF-1 Model

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #1031156  by AndrewCudgewa

G'day All,

I have an old brass model of a New Haven EF-1. It has been painted by its previous owner in a mid green and has gold decals that look close to, but not exactly the same as the correct typeface. The chassis has been painted a mid grey. I would like to clean it up and repaint/decal it to get it closer to prototype.

Would any members be able to confirm:

- The best paint colour/brand to use for an EF-1 in the 1940s/50s?

- Whether decals are available to decal it per the 1940s/50s?

- Whether the chassis should be black or whether the current grey is actually correct?

- Whether the entire body (including the roof) was green, presumably someof the roof details were black (at least the pantographs but anything else)?

Any help with some of all of these queries would be greatly appreciated so I can ensure I do the model justice and get it right.

Cheers, Andrew
 #1033745  by chnhrr

AndrewCudgewa wrote:G'day All,

I have an old brass model of a New Haven EF-1. It has been painted by its previous owner in a mid green and has gold decals that look close to, but not exactly the same as the correct typeface. The chassis has been painted a mid grey. I would like to clean it up and repaint/decal it to get it closer to prototype.

Would any members be able to confirm:

- The best paint colour/brand to use for an EF-1 in the 1940s/50s?

- Whether decals are available to decal it per the 1940s/50s?

- Whether the chassis should be black or whether the current grey is actually correct?

- Whether the entire body (including the roof) was green, presumably someof the roof details were black (at least the pantographs but anything else)?

Any help with some of all of these queries would be greatly appreciated so I can ensure I do the model justice and get it right.

Cheers, Andrew

Andrew

You may want to contact this company in Connecticut, The Caboose. They have a lot of New Haven product and someone told me that do good paint jobs and have decals. You may also want to get some books with colored photos. One book, New Color Pictorial-West End might help. I include a snippet from the book. I can’t recall seeing the chassis of these units painted grey, but there are more knowledgeable individuals on this forum that could help. The grey seemed to be reserved more EF-3 and EP-4’s.

https://www.thecaboose.com/

Chuck
 #1037151  by AndrewCudgewa

Hi All,

Just a postcript, wanted to let everyone know "The Caboose" (as referred) were very helpful, credit to their good service.

In case othermodellers are looking for similar information, they advised Pullman Green (either Scalecoat or Tru-Color) for the body, with chassis/trucks/roof/pantograph all being black. Sadly decals aren't available currently (Dulux Gold dry transfers used to be appropriate).

Cheers, Andrew
 #1039433  by Otto Vondrak

Another option would be to have your own custom decals made with the correct typeface and color, and sell the extras to other New Haven modelers.
 #1045957  by AndrewCudgewa

G'day Otto,

Thank you for the suggestion and confidence however I would probably be the least knowledgeable of New Haven modellers I think, so quite unlikely to get them right!

I purchased the EF-1 and a caboose for occasional different motive power to run on my "Glenburn" layout (Victorian Railways, Australia c.1925-1935). If you or readers are interested, the layout is detailed on my site at:
http://victorianrailways.blogspot.com.au/

Cheers, Andrew
 #1048746  by fordhamroad

Hi Andrew - have you looked at the microscale New Haven steam locomotive decals. Might find a usable NEW HAVEN on that decale.

Best wishes

(i wish someone would try an EF-1 in N Scale)

Roger Wines
 #1094552  by chnhrr

Andrew
Thanks for that info. I will be needing decals as well. I just checked out your blog and if those models shown are any indication, the EF-1 should come out super. Another option is to have a graphic/signage firm make laser cut templates, not a cheap option. By the way, is there any chance you Australians could get rid of that caustic Labor government?

Regards
Chuck
 #1094614  by AndrewCudgewa

G'day Chuck,

Thanks for the kinds words.

I think the current Labor/Green Government has a year to end of term, as far as I can tell most people were over them within about 6 months of them gaining office. The difference was 1 seat - Democracy is not best served by a parliament this finely balanced. Fortunately, Australians and Australia have a proud history of pressing on regardless of what our pollies do in any case.

Cheers, Andrew
 #1095107  by TCurtin

RE the issue of gray vs. black underframe. The official color is black, for sure, but it ages and weathers to medium-dark gray
 #1096248  by AndrewCudgewa

Thanks for the further info. TCurtin. For now she'll be nice and clean, so black it will be. I completed the repainting and decalling on the weekend, so just window glazing and final detailing before she's ready for service. I will post a couple of photos if people are interested once it's done?

Cheers, Andrew
 #1096714  by AndrewCudgewa

G'day All,

Here's the EF-1 I have mentioned as refurb'd. Sadly I don't have any other US rolling stock excepting an NE-5 caboose, so I placed some Victorian Railways bogie stock behind it on the layout to try and at least look like an appropriate load, not quite right though! As mentioned in an earlier post the decals are from Model Memories new issuance, and are excellent to use.

If you are interested further, there are more pictures and detail on this page of my site:
http://shelley-railways-other-modelling ... ot.com.au/

With my sincere thanks once again for the help/advice provided on this thread.

Cheers, Andrew