Railroad Forums 

• New engines for NYA

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1320391  by Tadman

emfinite wrote:they like doubling them up in case one takes a dump or they need one on either end for a quick move to reverse direction without shoving.
Bingo. NYA's sister road, South Shore Freight, is in the exact same position - private freight on a public commuter railroad. They do the same thing - back-to-back geeps to reverse and accelerate promptly. It's a bit of a gas seeing lite geeps go sailing down the railroad at 55mph just to keep clear of the passenger trains.
 #1371083  by rscott417

Not my photo.
Saw this on the rail New York page. First look at the new low emissions PR20-B
 #1371085  by LINYARailfan

Any idea on when the new NYA PR20-B will be delivered to Fresh Pond via the Hellgate? Also too how many new engines are on order for NYA? Are these new engines going to be used on LIRR trackage and NYA trackage or are they just going to be used on NYA trackage (Lower Montauk, Bay Ridge, and Bushwick Branches)? Thanks
 #1371096  by DogBert

That is one butt-ugly badly filtered HDR photo...

Good. Are they getting 12 of these as reported? Will that be enough? (with leasers, they're currently at 13). Will all the older power eventual go back to LIRR, cefx & gatx? Hopefully LIRR has some work for them. Don't they own the SWs outright and lease the MP/GPs?

Those cures idiots will have to find something else to cry about, maybe they'll keep turning to making up bullshit about oil trains... as if there's a huge oil terminal on the island and 100 car oil trains that we all somehow have never hears about.
 #1371101  by DogBert

LOL that didn't take long.

Just the other day they were crying on facebook how there's no new locomotives coming... nothing like lying to your own supporters and talking other nonsense to the press.

What is hilarious is how they single out NY&A while paying no attention to CSX & P&W, who over the years have used progressively more powerful/efficient/less polluting locomotives.
 #1372163  by DogBert

On it's way through Georgia last week. Probably be here in the next week or two.

Rumor is 4 will come this year, and 12 in the long run.
Attachments:
12729320_10208798779146350_377625700670982649_n.jpg
12729320_10208798779146350_377625700670982649_n.jpg (97.35 KiB) Viewed 3672 times
 #1372249  by Backshophoss

Are these new units already set up with LIRR's ASC and Cab Signals? Or is is that equipment to be pulled off
any units to be retired/traded in?
 #1372333  by DutchRailnut

the 4 units NY&A runs now are leased of LIRR and being returned from earlier reports.
 #1372380  by DogBert

Taking a ride through NC on another shortline... maybe as a demonstration?
http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=4407217" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That latest NY&A newsletter says they're getting 2 this spring.

They have 10 Leased from LIRR - used to be 11 but they outright bought one of the MP-15s, no?

I suspect they'd return the CIT and GMTX GP38-2's before giving LIRR any of those leased engines back. Better to purge the non ASC short term leased stuff first.
 #1372486  by tj48

rscott417 wrote:Not my photo.
Saw this on the rail New York page. First look at the new low emissions PR20-B
I've been unable to find out much about these units. Does anyone know if that is some sort of Dynamic Break blister or just a small flared radiator about half way down the long hood?
 #1375582  by AlKaLI

Has anyone seen the first unit on the NY&A yet? It has been a few weeks since the spotting down South. It doesn't take that long to move a unit up around Selkirk and down. Oh wait, I said the magic word, Selkirk, where units disappear.

To tj48: Look back on this thread. Apparently these are Progress Rail PR20-Bs. When I looked at their website a while ago, they didn't even have this type of unit listed.