Railroad Forums 

• New Customer

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.

#99771  by alcoc420

Freightguy:

Thanks! Yes, the name rings a bell. I now remember asking the guy what kind of food they distribute and to where.

#99854  by tushykushy

I also have another question pertaining to the customers on the Central Branch. Emfinite and I scouted out the area a couple of nights ago to see what was going on and to our suprise a lot actually has.

First the actual siding itself. As of late, the Wellwood siding has been occupied with LIRR equipment with tie cars, gondolas, engines for the job being done on the south shore. A lot of the times the siding is almost fully taken up. Wouldn't that pose a potential problem if the RS-30 runs out with loads for the customers only to realize that the siding is blocked with stuff in the way?

The bakery place is already receiving boxcars, 2 the last time we checked it. I can't remember exactly, but it does look like a lot of brush was taken out (400ft?) a new switch put in, and what looks like to be new rail? I can't tell if it's new or not.

The beer distributer that's also next to it, which has a siding, will they also be a potential customer in the future? The tracks more so near the Albany Ave. ROW are some of the worst track I've seen IMO.

#100387  by Sir Ray

The beer distributer that's also next to it, which has a siding, will they also be a potential customer in the future? The tracks more so near the Albany Ave. ROW are some of the worst track I've seen IMO.
Eh, I've seen Conrail branches that make that track look good (hell, they even make the rusted, forgotten buried track by the Sleepy's on 110 and Daniel St look good)

So far this thead has been pretty interesting, but I think a few questions are still unanswered in regards to the mainline freight action in West Central Suffolk.
West of Wyandanch Station, did any industries on Acorn ever get service (OK, I know one did, the grey/white building right East of the station, but besides that?)
In Deer Park, are there any freight customers North of the mainline (there are several building supply companies and material distributors, they do not look like they use rail, but it is hard to tell from Long Island Ave.)
Off Commack, there is a Westward facing spur which goes down a steep grade behind P.C. Richards (which, itself, the building was served by rail freight as is obvious by the rail bumper on it's Northwest corner - PC Richards also occupied former rail served buildings in Carle Place (on Voice Rd), and in Farmingdale (off 110/Price - the former white Rose building) - plus their Oceanside and Rockville Centre outlets are both within spitting distance of the LIRR) - OK, enough of the PC Richards aside - this spur goes west past Tri-State Windows and ends at a fence: what did it use to serve, and will it ever be used again for anything rail-freight?
Now we get to Heartland Park, which has been covered a bit prior in this thread - does any industry South of the mainline in this area (from Commack to Pine Aire Drive)?
We have the Pilgrim line west of the Sagtikos, and the Pine-Aire line east of the Sagtikos - I think that's what was said, right? Anyway, just a curosity - any reason why there is no Road connection between Heartland and the industries along Emjay (over the Sagtikos) - or a grade crossing from Emjay south across the LIRR to Manatuck and Pine-Aire?
Finally, anything of note along the mainline from Brentwood through Central Islip to Ronkonkoma.

#100410  by Knife-Switch

West of Wyandanch Station, did any industries on Acorn ever get service (OK, I know one did, the grey/white building right East of the station, but besides that?)
For quite some time, Manhattan Beverage has been trying to have a siding installed North of the Main, just east of Crymdanch Station. The siding is supposed to cross that street and then split into two 3 car spots last I heard.

It is said each time Manhattan Beer goes to LIRR for a price they up it and Manhattan Beer says "OK when can you begin" and LIRR says "We'll get back to ya" in a vicious cycle.

#100449  by BMT

Manhattan Beverage...isn't that the same, fairly new client, you have over near Raplh Ave. on the Bay Ridge?

#100480  by Sir Ray

Knife-Switch wrote:
For quite some time, Manhattan Beverage has been trying to have a siding installed North of the Main, just east of Crymdanch Station. The siding is supposed to cross that street and then split into two 3 car spots last I heard.

It is said each time Manhattan Beer goes to LIRR for a price they up it and Manhattan Beer says "OK when can you begin" and LIRR says "We'll get back to ya" in a vicious cycle.
Interesting. BTW, I meant East of Wyandanch station, as I know full well of 2 customers a little West of the station (the Propane/Gas distributor, and Stone[?] Container.

In regards to Manhattan Beer, Will somebody please go to the LIRR head offices and knock heads together, reminding them in a steady clear voice that it is NOT 1979, BUT 2005 and WE PURSUE freight opportunities, NOT chase them away. Sounds like you may have to repeat this several times, like paper-training a puppy...

#100481  by tushykushy

I'm not suprised that the LIRR isn't too interested in putting more rail over in Crimedanch.

One thing I've never witnessed was switching of AmeriGas. That must be a complete B&%#$. For the few times I've been by the container place to witness switching at night, I am always worried about them jacking my car, LOL.
Last edited by tushykushy on Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #100535  by freightguy

Manhattan Beer is supposed to move into a new building on the Bushwick Branch this month and begin rail service. He's moving into the old Standard Folding Carton building on the Bushwich and will be receiving a five car spot, supposedly this month? For more information on the progress of this siding please consult the Knife-switch.

They have been trying to get a siding in Wyandanch for years. I was told that they do more volume out of there then in Brooklyn. We drink alot out here in Suffolk. This is supposedly the number one grossing county for Budweiser via Clare Rose. The siding would have to go across L.I. Avenue and now there is all sorts of regulations that makes that really cost prohibitive. It would have to be protected. Like stated earlier the switch price just keeps going up. We probably have a better chance of seeing Moses before the installation of this switch.

#100558  by Knife-Switch

We probably have a better chance of seeing Moses before the installation of this switch.
Freightguy.....I thought he was already flagging the construction on the Bayridge or was that Moises????

#100658  by Legio X

To get the LIRR to accomodate new customers who want new spurs, or to have existing spurs re-connected, can't the NYA or these customers lobby elected officials at the state or federal level to pressure the LIRR or MTA? Tying the state and federal subsidies the MTA depends on to operate the LIRR to accomodating the NYA and these customers might do the trick....BTW, why wpould a new spur to this customer have to be protected with gates and flashers? A member of the crew with a flag, lantern or flares is'nt sufficient?

#100719  by jayrmli

Elected officials helped to kill a $1.5 million grant for the Calverton switch. Some help they are!

FRA requires that any new railroad crossing be equipped with gates. The fusee/lantern trick is not sufficient.

Jay

#101315  by Ricshaw

Would the siding belong to Claire Rose Distributors or Manhattan? Aren't they two separate customers?

#111581  by eotd

the NYA website indicates that Boening Bros is a customer of the RR. isn't that the distributor next to the bakery on Wellwood that tushy mentioned is not getting service? what's the story there? jay? knifeswitch?

sounds like LI needs their beer! :wink:

#111796  by Knife-Switch

The story is that our list of customers is updated about as often as our egnine fleet.
 #118527  by freightguy

The Cental branch is out of service this week for the installation of a new switch for a new NYAR consignee. It is the one mentioned in earlier post at the site of the old Saxon lumber which is just South of Sunrise highway(Lindenhurst?). Two customers will use this lead for service. The area leveled for the switch looks relatively long and should be able to hold a lot of cars.

A new switch is also going in along the back track which located at Pineaire. This is next to AJM paper in Brentwood. This one will also be receiving cars to load construction and demolition debris into cars. This is the same sort of material that Waste Management moves out of Brooklyn. From what I understand there will be a couple of new tracks for this move and service should be underway sometime this summer. Once this gets underway that's three active costumers in Pineaire, the RS-60 will have their hands full and still have to switch East of Ronkonkoma.

Manhattan beer is in full swing on the Bushwich branch. When they first opened their warehouse they received double switches both day and night. Now they average 4 cars a day. This will probably increase when summer gets closer. Both locations(Bayridge and Bushwick) seem to get a healthy number of cars.

With all this new business I hope NYA's rank and file reap some benefits. This could create more job openings than just the track dept. :wink: