Railroad Forums 

• New Customer

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.

#73922  by Legio X

Some new business on the west side of Rte. 110 would be great. Are'nt all those spur tracks still in place, and unused? Is there still a connection to the Main Line?

#73945  by tushykushy

Well, when I caught the stone run of 9/11 of this year, I parked in the Levittz lot. Emfinite and I took a little stroll down the siding that was along side the main (I believe the one you are referring to?) It is in really bad condition. Again, an abundance of over grown weeds, old railroad ties, a lot of sand. It's very unstable land over there.

I haven't seen the actual switch condition, if there is any still existing. The only siding I know that's still in good use and in shape is Marjam.

lirrmike: I think NYA should donate those tired LIRC SW1200's that are still in fresh pond. You know, the ones that are always low on oil, make an Alco look bad when it smokes, and shuts down at random? I don't think a bobcat is going to cut it anymore come next year!

#95437  by spiker 1

new switch to be put in on central branch at the old saxton lumber site not sure who will be the consignee

#95465  by Legio X

I passed by Marjam in Farmingdale this afternoon, and glanced over at the west side of the building as I passed, hoping to see some boxcars, as I used to see in years past. No boxcars, but some sort of trailer parked where the spur on that side of the building is (or was). I guess boxcars and flatcars for Marjam are spotted elsewhere on the property now.

#95468  by emfinite

The switch off of mainline 2 that goes into Marjam was replaced about a year ago and the tracks were paved over with a groove for the wheel flange. All boxcars are spotted on the side of the property (where you saw that trailer) and the centerbeam flats are spotted on the curve. I believe the siding has a capacity of 3-4 cars.
 #95521  by freightguy

The new consignee over on the Central Branch is actually 2 off of that switch. I think they went in on it together. There is a construction company that will be receiving materials. Also supposedly a construction and demo company(C&D) that will share the same lead. I heard from marketing the LIRR is slated to put the switch in sometime this spring. Hopefully this will happen unlike the installment of 84 lumber on the mainline which was paid in full and than shot down by the town of Riverhead. After installation! Also on the Central Branch there is a new costumer which has already begun receiving cars. Intercounty Bakers which is off the Wellwood D.E.F., right next to Boening Bros. Hopefully activity on this branch will pickup, it is an easy branch to switch on with the LIRR's light train frequency!

#95567  by John 61

I guess that is why I have never seen any cars spotted at 84 lumber in Riverhead. Seems that that was a stupid move on the Town's part. 84 Lumber is in such a remote area that switching their siding probably wouldn't even be noticed by the public .

#95581  by Legio X

Why did the Town of Riverhead prohibit rail service to 84 Lumber, and how is it possible for them to do that? They want more trucks on the L.I.E. and the roads in the Town? Did the LIRR come back and pull the new switch as a result, or is there ongoing litigation to reverse the Town's action?

#95588  by emfinite

Don't the 84 Lumber cars get spotted at Building Supply?

#95597  by jayrmli

Like anything else the Town of Riverhead touches, it is a total disaster. The Town has held up construction of the siding on 84 Lumber's property because they contend they have to apply for a building permit from the Town. (i.e. - You have to grease our pockets before you can do business.) Never mind the fact that this is Interstate Commerce and the Town has no juristiction over the matter.

No wonder Kamco Building Supply flipped the town the bird and moved out of the Town of Riverhead. Imagine how difficult it would have been to complete the Calverton facility? (Remember, the Town turned down $1.5 million in that one because they would have to guarantee the creation of 20+ jobs. Incredible.)

Jay

#97635  by tushykushy

freightguy: How often does that Bakery receieve stuff on the central branch? I thought that wasn't going to happen until at least the summer?

That is a nice location for business. You have Amco Plastics just under 109, then the Bakery 500ft in front of that, plus the C&D customer. Are we talking about a high volume of cars/frequent job? Amco right now only gets serviced once every two weeks, right?

#99486  by alcoc420

A friend of mine in the Brookhaven Planning Department was telling last week that a few days earlier they approved a site plan for an industry with a new siding. He told me the name of the business, but I was distracted and it did not sink in. Does anyone know what or where this business is? I'll ask him the next time I see him, but that may not be for a few weeks.
 #99519  by freightguy

The only one out that way that was one the planning board that was rumored to be installed soon was DiCarlo food in Holtsville on North Ocean Ave. Does that name ring a bell?

#99529  by Knife-Switch

stone trains....scrap metal...crushed cars......private carting C&D outta Brooklyn Queens and Long Island....now Pasta and Sauce(Gravy for some) Whats the world coming to????

Actually I saw a new railfan on the ROW the other day...got a picture of him too....

#99765  by John 61

Knife,
That's a really funny post . Last May I took a photo of the RS-30 coming through Smithtown and when I uploaded the photo I noticed one of the crew holding a camera and taking a photo of me. I guess he finally got the photo developed.