• Mount Arlington Station

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by NJTRailfan

How far has the project gone now? Where will they be by the time Christmas rolls around? I did hear the time line for completion is still the end of next year.

by madmage

I've noticed last week that just west of dover it appears that they are pouring new concrete anchors for the catenary.. are they going to start extending it to the mount arlington station and/or to port morris?!
i've been trying to grab a pic, but i usually get the darn car with the muddy/cruddy/yuckystuffonit window. sigh.

(apologies if i;ve posted this in the wrong thread)

by gravelyfan

madmage wrote:I've noticed last week that just west of dover it appears that they are pouring new concrete anchors for the catenary.. are they going to start extending it to the mount arlington station and/or to port morris?!

(apologies if i;ve posted this in the wrong thread)
I believe this is just a short extension at Dover so that a 10 car trainset with an ALP on the west end can lay west of the crossings on either track.

by NJTRailfan

That's most likely the case. I think it's supposed to go as far west as the Rt 46 Bridge or just beyond that. I know the NJ DOT is supposed to start major construction to replace that bridge along with another one that takes Rt 46 over the Dover & Rockaway Branch in 2008.

I would hope NJT would extend electrification to PM Yard and maybe even further west now that Mt Olive Mayor has called for more NJT service and a 1 seat ride into NYP. I saw his requests not only in the Daily Record but the Morris Edition of the Star Ledger as well. He hopes to have electrification extended so that it can benifit the International Trade Center, employees and residents in and outside of town. I know it would be successful along with a short extension of service to Washington TWP and total elecrification.

by madmage

NJTRailfan wrote:That's most likely the case. I think it's supposed to go as far west as the Rt 46 Bridge or just beyond that. I know the NJ DOT is supposed to start major construction to replace that bridge along with another one that takes Rt 46 over the Dover & Rockaway Branch in 2008.

I would hope NJT would extend electrification to PM Yard and maybe even further west now that Mt Olive Mayor has called for more NJT service and a 1 seat ride into NYP. I saw his requests not only in the Daily Record but the Morris Edition of the Star Ledger as well. He hopes to have electrification extended so that it can benifit the International Trade Center, employees and residents in and outside of town. I know it would be successful along with a short extension of service to Washington TWP and total elecrification.
total electrification should definately be the goal, imho. i would at least hope they service the new mount arlington station with catenary for that 'coveted' one-seat ride to nyp!

but i wont hold my breath. i've already heard the rumors that we ('we' meaning us customers beyond dover) wont be seeing any hand me downs, much less the multi-levels. sigh!

by NJTRailfan

Not true…for those who live east of PM Yard anyway. George Warrington has stated that there is no more room in Dover Yard for any more train sets, so the yard at PM will be expanded and electrified to handle more train sets. At least Mount Arlington and Lake Hopatcong will see electrification/one seat ride and weekend service to NYP.

However, Mount Olive has big plans for their International Trade Center involving the train and Netcong is in the midst of building a Transit hub near the station. They are supposed to be underway. So that maybe is what is needed to give NJT an incentive to have electrification to Hackettstown like the Gladstone Branch.

by northjerseybuff

ok..I've heard this a lot now..but is there a timeframe for NJT to further the electrification west? is this on the NJT projects list on their website?

by NJTRailfan

A year or two ago it was listed on their Capital Projects section of their Web Site that the enitre system was to be electrified. but that was taken off. But a press conferance last year given by George Warrington stated that he supported the Cutoff and the electrification of the M&E from Dover to PM Yard and the Boonton Line. I also believe that a total NJCL electrification was also mentioned. This was reported by both Daily Record and Star Ledger.

by geoffand

Anyone been by recently?

I saw the stumps of what look like a platform structure about a week ago. Couldn't get a good look; didn't want to pull in as a cop set up shop at the entrance.

by madmage

geoffand wrote:Anyone been by recently?

I saw the stumps of what look like a platform structure about a week ago. Couldn't get a good look; didn't want to pull in as a cop set up shop at the entrance.
I roll by every AM.. they do have the anchors in place and i *think* the tunnel is done (can't tell from inside the train)
its coming along!

by 35dtmrs92

Well, if NJT wants to operate Port Morris-NYP electric runs, I think they will have to:
  1. Assemble long trains. Several short trains into NYP won't work.
  2. Have these longer trains run express. All the stops that a local would have to make would mean deathly slow acceleration.
  3. Run locals into Hoboken. I see it as equally convenient as NYP and more flexible in terms of equipment.
  4. Rehabilitate Arrows to change voltage en-route, offering more flexibility.

by northjerseybuff

Looks like the platforms are now in place. This project is moving along swiftly

by Steve F45

I saw this too when I was heading out on I-80 westbound to Cortland, NY on Friday.

by NJTRailfan

This is great news! It's only a matter of time before opening day. Instead of the end of this year it maybe moved up to the end of summer or even sooner like the Spring with the help of good weather. The construction crew is on point. I say that the crews from both the Mt Arlington Station and Newark Station Pojects should be invited back to work on the Cutoff, MOM and W Trenton Stations.

by northjerseybuff

I think they can't be invited back..but lets hope they bid out those contracts when they happen. I have heard that this project is ahead of schedule from others as well. Do these companies get bonuses for finishing ahead of time?