• Mount Arlington Station

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by NJTRailfan

Additional parking will be added but it's not much. At best 100-200 spaces. What they really need to do is add a deck or two above the parking lot and lengthen the platform to handle an 8 car train. With the electrification I say btween 3-5 yrs you'll see electrification when NJT has more multi level train sets comming on line through out the system and the M&E Line finally gets theirs. Then NJT will be scramblign to find a palce to put all those train sets not at Great Notch or Dover but PM Yard. Those posts and wires will be there by surprise like this Newark Broad and Mt Arlington Stations finally got under way. We'll wait a bit of time but when the construction starts, it'll take us by suprise instead of the year 2020 rolling around and work finally begins.

by NJTRailfan

This is excellent! I'm glad to see the project comming along nicely. I have a feelign that at this rate they should be done by the end of summer. Now if they'd jsut extend the platforms a bit to handle a 6 to 8 car train then we'll be in business. It looks like from the photos that it can handle the enterances/exits of a 4 car train. I know that hill is too steep as you get closer to the bridge going over howard BLVD but on the other end I know it's more then possible to extend then on the other end.

by nick11a

NJTRailfan wrote:This is excellent! I'm glad to see the project comming along nicely. I have a feelign that at this rate they should be done by the end of summer. Now if they'd jsut extend the platforms a bit to handle a 6 to 8 car train then we'll be in business. It looks like from the photos that it can handle the enterances/exits of a 4 car train. I know that hill is too steep as you get closer to the bridge going over howard BLVD but on the other end I know it's more then possible to extend then on the other end.
The platforms have been up a while now. The whole construction is taking a bit of a while. I was talking to a person from that area yesterday who reminded me of the actual length of the project thus far. It started back in September and they don't seem to be in any real rush to finish as the benefits of the station are more in the long run for the moment.

by geoffand

By those pictures I don't see any ADA access to the platforms being worked on. I wonder when they plan to start that?

I'm guessing there will only be really long ramps?

by NJTRailfan

I was told that there would be elevators like that of what Summit and other stations have. Too bad there isn't a pedestrian bridge like what Summit also has.

by geoffand

There is a pedestrian tunnel...which is basically the same thing as a pedestrian bridge.

by lensovet

...except that you can't watch trains running under you ;)

by nick11a

lensovet wrote:...except that you can't watch trains running under you ;)
A mere technicality Watson, a mere technicality.....

by cjvrr

Went past the station yesterday and noticed the decorative light poles have been placed on the WB platform. Didn't have time to see the EB side.

Also some type of hyrail vacuum / pump truck was just west of the station on the rail. When I can by later on they were on the bridge directly over Howard Blvd. Not sure what that truck is for.

by Jay Bong

August 5 update: platform lamps fully up (possibly on both sides). Platforms appear to be fully complete, though no ADA work, elevator or stairs have yet begun. See here. Will it open in time by October 28 for the new timetables? Big question.

by NJTRailfan

Looks like the shelter is underway on the station. It's supposed to provide both heat and ac. Those lamposts look sharp. But it'll look even better if NJT extended that platform. I know it can be extended on the opposite end of the platform that's away from Howard BLVD. I think this station will come on line alot earlier then imagined like a month. But I guess that's just my positive thinking.

by NJTRailfan

It's been awhile since I heard anything or saw any photos on this station progress. Any updates? I heard that the platforms have been installed along with the lamps and shelter.

by northjerseybuff

I have some updated photos from this past week..how do I post?

by NJTRailfan

I don't know. I've never posted a picture on here before. I hope a moderator can help out.