• Motive Power update

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by albiejr

hey guys what are the plans for the 116 we going to see her moving again
  by Otto Vondrak

I spotted 1800 and 116 coupled to each other sitting in the sun outside Binghamton enginehouse on Friday.
  by railroadcarmover

Trainmanal4243 wrote:BDLX 2209 was sent to Utica in 2007 were the new owner had the engine block, traction motors and other components removed for his project. the rest of the 2209 was turned over to Susquehanna Loco & Car repair. They have since used the 2209 as a test bed for refurbished 12 cylinder engine blocks from the RMDI stock of B30-7A that had their frames used on the Railpower hybrid locomotives.

AL Gorney
Hi Al and thanks for the info about the outcome of #2209. I didnt know that the new owner wound up buying her for the parts. I was kind of surprised to see that she was dismantled since she was in really good running condition.

I will pose these questions to both you and G. King.
What was the project that the new owner that bought the components, was working on? Did the components removed from 2209 go into another locomotive?
Since 2209 is now a test bed, is the sheet metal back on it? Is it inside the building or outside?
I assume the trucks under it are dummy trucks and the dynamic brake grids are used as a "load provider" when breaking in the reconditioned prime movers taken from the B30-7A's.
I recall seeing the line up of those cabless B units when I went up to Utica back in 2003 to purchase the 2209. I figured the frames and trucks would turn into Green Goat "conversions".
Do you know it the 2209 will ever be pressed into service again as a serviceable locomotive?

The only reason I sold the 2209 is because the way the locomotive market was at that time, the unit had practically tripled in value. I also had 2 other parties that were interested in buying it as well.
If I didnt sell it, I was going to keep it in my rental fleet along with my other locomotive and 8 Trackmobiles.

My other locomotive, the FM H12-44 I plan on keeping, thats for sure. :)
Its undergoing some brake work at this point and once I move it to my mechanics shop, we have to pull the upper crank out to replace the verticle connecting shaft, since the existing one is twisted slightly.

Thanks again for the info.

Do you have any shots of the 2209 in its present state?
  by lvrr325

A year ago the first weekend in February I saw the frame from one of those B30-7ABs, I think, in primer on a truck at a truckstop in Fonda, presumably enroute to Schenectady to become a "Green Goat" ... I thought it was ironic it was going by truck.
  by ricebrianrice

116 is missing from the Binghamton Yard.

Has she made her trip to Arkville?
  by SteveO

ricebrianrice wrote:116 is missing from the Binghamton Yard.

Has she made her trip to Arkville?
I've seen 116 parked by itself next to I-81 for about a couple weeks now. It's on the single track between 81 and Bevier St.
  by lvrr325

About the 9th I went by on the Arterial and the 2209 was outside testing a prime mover, with the hood off, but smoke coming out the stack.

Lot of loco components on the ground there, from P&W, BN and Conrail GE units of various models.
  by Trainmanal4243

Susquehanna Loco & Car Repair in Utica, NY is rebuilding 12 Cylinder 3000hp FDL engines out of retired B30-7A locomotives whose Frames were used for Rail Power genset locomotives. They are using BDLX 2209 as a test bed for running the engine into the Load Box to measure output. Notice that the load box top is the Dynamic Brake off of an BN B30-7AB unit. If the 2209 was to be put back on the road it would be called a U30B-7AM.
  by Steve F45

is this company affiliated with NYSW?

Who do they rebuild these motors for?
  by nysw3636

I would like to see them get the NYSW 3636 seen in the background running again ;) Nice shots and thanks for sharing...
  by Trainmanal4243

Susquehanna L & C repair is afflited with RMDI in Pittston, PA. I do not know destination, but Brazil has many B30 and C30-7As exported by US rail dealers in the past few years.
  by Tadman

Thanks for some cool pictures. I'm not a locomotive mechanic, so pardon what might be a dumb question - if the rebuilt prime movers are hooked to a load box for testing instead of moving the locomotive by traction motor, why aren't the prime movers just rigged to a skid or cradle and the locomotive scrapped? I assume there's some benefit to rigging the prime mover into the locomotive, testing it, and then removing the prime mover otherwise the shop wouldn't waste half a day lifting and rigging a PM. Please correct me if you see a flaw in my logic.
  by Trainmanal4243

1.) The prime mover needs to be hooked up to a Alternator so the tech's can measure the output going into the load box. 2.) The Prime mover needs to be attached to a cooling system. 3.) Fuel supply system. 4.) Technician has locomotive control stand and electrical system to control prime mover.

Al G
  by lvrr325

Heck, Conrail and NS have done this for years at Juniata with an ex-EL SD45 carcass (the original engine to which was sold to some concern in Massachusetts in the early-mid '80's). Not uncommon, a lot cheaper to use a retired locomotive for a test bed than to build some fancy dedicated equipment for it.
  by NYSW3000

Got shots of it in Passaic Juntion . it was just sitting there not ildleing with a numberboard missing. Sat on the interchange track for 3 months . thanks Michael Tierney [/quote]
u23b1.jpg
railroadcarmover wrote:
Trainmanal4243 wrote:BDLX 2209 was sent to Utica in 2007 were the new owner had the engine block, traction motors and other components removed for his project. the rest of the 2209 was turned over to Susquehanna Loco & Car repair. They have since used the 2209 as a test bed for refurbished 12 cylinder engine blocks from the RMDI stock of B30-7A that had their frames used on the Railpower hybrid locomotives.

AL Gorney
Hi Al and thanks for the info about the outcome of #2209. I didnt know that the new owner wound up buying her for the parts. I was kind of surprised to see that she was dismantled since she was in really good running condition.

I will pose these questions to both you and G. King.
What was the project that the new owner that bought the components, was working on? Did the components removed from 2209 go into another locomotive?
Since 2209 is now a test bed, is the sheet metal back on it? Is it inside the building or outside?
I assume the trucks under it are dummy trucks and the dynamic brake grids are used as a "load provider" when breaking in the reconditioned prime movers taken from the B30-7A's.
I recall seeing the line up of those cabless B units when I went up to Utica back in 2003 to purchase the 2209. I figured the frames and trucks would turn into Green Goat "conversions".
Do you know it the 2209 will ever be pressed into service again as a serviceable locomotive?

The only reason I sold the 2209 is because the way the locomotive market was at that time, the unit had practically tripled in value. I also had 2 other parties that were interested in buying it as well.
If I didnt sell it, I was going to keep it in my rental fleet along with my other locomotive and 8 Trackmobiles.

My other locomotive, the FM H12-44 I plan on keeping, thats for sure. :)
Its undergoing some brake work at this point and once I move it to my mechanics shop, we have to pull the upper crank out to replace the verticle connecting shaft, since the existing one is twisted slightly.

Thanks again for the info.

Do you have any shots of the 2209 in its present state ?