• Motive Power update

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by lvrr325

The pictures posted on this page accurately depict it's current state.
  by Tadman

Thanks for the explanation regarding the use of a locomotive as a test bed.
  by airman00

so what about the #116 is she sold off or back in service? Looks great in those photo's. By the way is it an alco s-2 or another model?
  by amoreho1

airman00 wrote:so what about the #116 is she sold off or back in service? Looks great in those photo's. By the way is it an alco s-2 or another model?
116 is an emd nw2
  by thebigham

To: [email protected] ; [email protected] ; [email protected]
Sent: Sunday, July 05, 2009 8:32 PM
Subject: [Susquehanna] NB on the ND in Cortland

08:00 a northbound arrived in Cortland.

6...count them 6 yellowjackets...

3016 leading, 3010, 3012, 3634, 3618, and 3014.

They dropped NS 5293 on the north leg of the wye for CL-1.

and from Kevin M.:

...also I see 1802 is back in service.....was parked down at Frito Lay last week
  by Steve F45

gosh thats almost every yellow jacket!

Hopefully kingfish reads this. With NYSW leasing those 2 SD40-2's from CSX, are there any plans to try and get 3020 or even 3636 up and running again so they dont have to continue leasing power?

Also, what is exactly wrong with the GP20's?
  by lvrr325

Nothing's wrong with them except they're old and have 567 blocks in them. Or maybe they don't, but it's been rumored it was orders from above (IE CSX-NS) to retire the oldest units - pretty much everything unrebuilt pre-dash-2 except the remaining SD45s. Has been covered in the past in this thread or one of the other threads on this board.

3636 needs a prime mover, wheels, and other parts - it's unlikely it will ever run again, by the time the recession is over the big roads will be able to buy new units that will make more cheap used power available and it will be cheaper for the NYS&W to just buy (or continue to lease) someone else's junk, than fix their own. Has been rehashed many times in this forum.
  by Leo_Ames

Does anyone know the current status of their former E units? I didn't have any luck looking around using a search engine just now.
  by lvrr325

Google tells me the 2400 (BN 9921/CB&Q 9991) and 2402 (BN 9915, exx CB&Q 9985) went to Larry's Truck & Electric in 2006. Confirmed on trainorders.com here:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/r ... 11,1460189

There may be more info I can't see as I am not a member and you need to be logged in to access archives unless Google gives you a direct link. But that's the most recent info I see and it's from 2007.

LTE does have several other E-units from the BN/Metra group in storage, some for longer than the NYS&W units, at least per one Railpictures photo of the 9925 dated this past July. Perhaps they are simply buried in a difficult to photograph location, perhaps they have been parted out and cut up, probably the only way to find out would be to contact LTE directly. There certainly isn't a big market for these units anymore.
  by Leo_Ames

Thanks

I actually knew that, but was hoping for a recent update since they weren't exactly somewhere safe in terms of survival.
  by lvrr325

I'd suspect if they had left the property there would be a news report or web post somewhere noting who bought them and where they went. Heck, if you have an extra $40,000 or so laying around, you could probably buy one. Maybe less since scrap's down.
  by amoreho1

according to a post on the one of the yahoo groups 3618s #2 axle locked up on last nights SU-100
  by Pj

Whats wrong with the 3636?
  by Steve F45

major turbo failure. parts from turbo ended up getting into engine and well.... engine is pretty much destroyed. It's a shame, as 3636 is my favorite.
  by lvrr325

I asked someone who would be in the know on the 2400 and 2402 E9s. He said the prime movers had been rebuilt before they were sold, and LTE used them in switchers as they're a direct replacement for some SW models. The units themselves still exist somewhere on the lot, otherwise more or less intact.