Railroad Forums 

• Maine Two Footer Database Project

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#125870  by mwhite

I am have begun to develop a database of two-foot gauge equipment used in Maine, including an on-line browser. To date, I have entered data for all of the steam locomotives. You can see the results at http://216.220.224.175/twofooters/Main.html

My goal is to build a comprehensive research tool that will allow users to access rosters, specifications and other historical information easily. I want to add all rolling stock - freight, passenger, and non-revenue. Eventually I'd like to add links to photos of each piece of equipment as well.

If you are interested in helping with the data entry, please let me know. I will supply to you an Excel spreadsheet or Access database in which you can enter data.

This resource will be free and accessible to all. I look forward to hearing from you and making this project a success!
Last edited by mwhite on Sat May 14, 2005 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #125925  by zz4

Nice project.

To the dumb it might be more understandable with the railroad names 'named' out.

I can't remember the various 2 footers in Maine.

There was a railroad? in Bar Harbor going up Cadallic? Mountain. Guage?

Machias?

That line in Calais that worked the docks?

#126181  by ThinkNarrow

A great project!

For additional information on WW&F locomotives, visit the www.wwfry.org web page. More specifically, please visit http://www.wwfry.org/equipment/histloco.html.

One favor to ask: Could you please change the color of the deep blue highlighting bars to some lighter color? On my screen at least, the present color produces black letters on a dark blue background and cannot be read.

Thanks!

-John

#126204  by mwhite

I will be adding more features, graphics etc to this as time permits. Right now I am focused on getting the data in there and checked for accuracy. If anyone knows the scrap data of Monson 1 and 2, or specific history of WW&F 10 (The Plantation Engine), please let me know.

#126804  by mwhite

It has been reported to me that the row highlight color in the roster listing is too dark in some browsers. I will fix that as soon as possible. Thanks for the helpful feedback!

#126910  by mwhite

Update: I've fixed the background color on the list rows. I've also created an html page as a front end for the site. Please use this address from now on:
http://216.220.224.175/twofooters/Main.html

#128822  by mwhite

Some News: I've now added the motorized railcars used on the two-footers. Some of the info I could gleaned from the various books is either incomplete or contradictory. In particular the ownership of SR&RL 2nd #1 and 2nd #2 and #4. Also, I couldn't find much on the B&H railcar. If anyone has any info on these topics, please let me know.

#129378  by mwhite

Does anyone have ownership history of SR&RL Motorized Inspection Car 2nd #2? Also MNGRR lists a snowplow #2. Did this come from B&SR?

I've also added more Railcar and Non-revenue equipment to the database. Next I plan to get the passenger equipment in there. Again, any help would be greatly appreciated and acknowledged!

#132306  by mwhite

Many thanks to those of you who have offered insight into the ownership and specs for various equipment.

I have recently added passenger equipment for all Two Footers except B&SR (anyone have a copy of "Two Feet to the Lakes" they want to sell?).

I have also begun adding photos. The photos are links to ones already existing on the web - I don't store them on our server. I am grateful to both the WW&F and SR&RL organizations for giving me permission to link to their photos.

Within the coming weeks I hope to allow you to select a particular railroad and get a listing of equipment for only that railroad. I have the database queries etc done, but have a CGI issue to resolve first.

I'm still looking for someone to input the freight equipment. Any volunteers?