• Maine Two Footer Database Project

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by mwhite

I am have begun to develop a database of two-foot gauge equipment used in Maine, including an on-line browser. To date, I have entered data for all of the steam locomotives. You can see the results at http://216.220.224.175/twofooters/Main.html

My goal is to build a comprehensive research tool that will allow users to access rosters, specifications and other historical information easily. I want to add all rolling stock - freight, passenger, and non-revenue. Eventually I'd like to add links to photos of each piece of equipment as well.

If you are interested in helping with the data entry, please let me know. I will supply to you an Excel spreadsheet or Access database in which you can enter data.

This resource will be free and accessible to all. I look forward to hearing from you and making this project a success!
Last edited by mwhite on Sat May 14, 2005 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by zz4

Nice project.

To the dumb it might be more understandable with the railroad names 'named' out.

I can't remember the various 2 footers in Maine.

There was a railroad? in Bar Harbor going up Cadallic? Mountain. Guage?

Machias?

That line in Calais that worked the docks?

by ThinkNarrow

A great project!

For additional information on WW&F locomotives, visit the www.wwfry.org web page. More specifically, please visit http://www.wwfry.org/equipment/histloco.html.

One favor to ask: Could you please change the color of the deep blue highlighting bars to some lighter color? On my screen at least, the present color produces black letters on a dark blue background and cannot be read.

Thanks!

-John

by mwhite

I will be adding more features, graphics etc to this as time permits. Right now I am focused on getting the data in there and checked for accuracy. If anyone knows the scrap data of Monson 1 and 2, or specific history of WW&F 10 (The Plantation Engine), please let me know.

by mwhite

It has been reported to me that the row highlight color in the roster listing is too dark in some browsers. I will fix that as soon as possible. Thanks for the helpful feedback!

by mwhite

Update: I've fixed the background color on the list rows. I've also created an html page as a front end for the site. Please use this address from now on:
http://216.220.224.175/twofooters/Main.html

by mwhite

Some News: I've now added the motorized railcars used on the two-footers. Some of the info I could gleaned from the various books is either incomplete or contradictory. In particular the ownership of SR&RL 2nd #1 and 2nd #2 and #4. Also, I couldn't find much on the B&H railcar. If anyone has any info on these topics, please let me know.

by mwhite

Does anyone have ownership history of SR&RL Motorized Inspection Car 2nd #2? Also MNGRR lists a snowplow #2. Did this come from B&SR?

I've also added more Railcar and Non-revenue equipment to the database. Next I plan to get the passenger equipment in there. Again, any help would be greatly appreciated and acknowledged!

by mwhite

Many thanks to those of you who have offered insight into the ownership and specs for various equipment.

I have recently added passenger equipment for all Two Footers except B&SR (anyone have a copy of "Two Feet to the Lakes" they want to sell?).

I have also begun adding photos. The photos are links to ones already existing on the web - I don't store them on our server. I am grateful to both the WW&F and SR&RL organizations for giving me permission to link to their photos.

Within the coming weeks I hope to allow you to select a particular railroad and get a listing of equipment for only that railroad. I have the database queries etc done, but have a CGI issue to resolve first.

I'm still looking for someone to input the freight equipment. Any volunteers?