Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1262905  by morris&essex4ever

Thomas wrote:
25Hz wrote:I know, let's make it a 40 car station, with mall overbuild, income from that goes to a donut factory, then ship the donuts via box cars to grove street for distribution...??
But what happens if the Port Authority becomes angry and shuts down PATH service two months before an election?!
Why would that happen?!
 #1262912  by Thomas

morris&essex4ever wrote:Why would that happen?!
If a certain politician does not receive the 2016 Republican Nomination!!!!!!!!!!!
 #1262914  by morris&essex4ever

Thomas wrote:
morris&essex4ever wrote:Why would that happen?!
If a certain politician does not receive the 2016 Republican Nomination!!!!!!!!!!!
Didn't that certain politician crush Buono in the 2013 election? He'd have no more NJ elections to run for. Or did you mean a certain NJ senator who just won a special election and is running for a full term this year?
 #1262921  by nomis

Jon Runyan for el Prezidèntę :-)
 #1262931  by Thomas

morris&essex4ever wrote: Didn't that certain politician crush Buono in the 2013 election? He'd have no more NJ elections to run for. Or did you mean a certain NJ senator who just won a special election and is running for a full term this year?
Many Republicans that I know have told me that "that certain politician" may not even be governor a few months from now due to Christiegate!!!
 #1263430  by 25Hz

Thomas wrote:
morris&essex4ever wrote: Didn't that certain politician crush Buono in the 2013 election? He'd have no more NJ elections to run for. Or did you mean a certain NJ senator who just won a special election and is running for a full term this year?
Many Republicans that I know have told me that "that certain politician" may not even be governor a few months from now due to Christiegate!!!
Dude..... No.

Governor of NJ has nothing to do with PATH train lengths.
 #1263462  by Thomas

25Hz wrote:Governor of NJ has nothing to do with PATH train lengths.
That's not true and actually very misleading.

The FIRST PATH line to get 10 car train-sets will be the Newark--WTC Line for two reasons:

Christie's brother is involved with a major real-estate deal near the Harrison Station (And I believe it was the Wall Street Journal that claimed this development deal puts Christie in a conflict-of-interest).

Also, Christie wants this same line to get extended to the Newark Airport Rail Station since he is friends with the CEO of United Airlines...
 #1263475  by morris&essex4ever

Thomas wrote:
25Hz wrote:Governor of NJ has nothing to do with PATH train lengths.
That's not true and actually very misleading.

The FIRST PATH line to get 10 car train-sets will be the Newark--WTC Line for two reasons:

Christie's brother is involved with a major real-estate deal near the Harrison Station (And I believe it was the Wall Street Journal that claimed this development deal puts Christie in a conflict-of-interest).

Also, Christie wants this same line to get extended to the Newark Airport Rail Station since he is friends with the CEO of United Airlines...
 #1263784  by 25Hz

OF COURSE!!!

It has nothing to do with the fact that line is the busiest during peak hours of any passenger rail line in the area! It's all about donutgate, and harison!!!

Speaking of harrison, pretty sure that whole are is to get a lovely surge/flood barrier as part of a larger storm-proofing effort in the region. There was an estimate map that showed if sandy tracked up towards nyc vs towards south jersey, portions of harrison, newark, and surrounding low areas would have been fully underwater. You thought what happened in hoboken was bad.... The whole area south of 280 towards the river maxes out at 10 feet above sea level.......
 #1264281  by philipmartin

Riding through Harrison on NJT I see them building an extension of the eastbound PATH platform towards Dock. I haven't looked at the westbound side.
 #1264311  by lirr42

They are doing the same thing on both sides. They are extending the platform several carlengths to the west, then demolishing the existing station and filling that out to get the desired 10 carlengths.
 #1264514  by Ken W2KB

Thomas wrote:How will this impact a Harrison 4th Track for Amtrak/NJ Transit?
I would expect no impact given that PRR used to have 4 tracks there between the PATH tracks and the PATH tracks are not being moved. One was removed many years ago and I think now has a relay hut on it, but that can be moved if and when the time comes.
 #1265989  by 25Hz

Ken W2KB wrote:
Thomas wrote:How will this impact a Harrison 4th Track for Amtrak/NJ Transit?
I would expect no impact given that PRR used to have 4 tracks there between the PATH tracks and the PATH tracks are not being moved. One was removed many years ago and I think now has a relay hut on it, but that can be moved if and when the time comes.
If you look at all the remnants of what used to be there & the wire overhead, you can see that (missing) track was used to route trains from exchange place terminal towards the non-PATH tracks in newark penn. So basically if you put the track in, it would not connect to the PATH track as it once did long ago, but it would connect to the existing track that ends up across the bridge in newark penn. This would add operational flexibility, as the new track would be long enough to hold a full length train without blocking access to the station in either direction. Pretty handy if NJT wants to use it to park an RVL set, no?
 #1282550  by JCGUY

Looking at the PATH's website, it appears that they have taken away mentions of longer train sets under "Capacity Upgrades", so I guess we're stuck with the current sets more or less forever.