Railroad Forums 

• Long Island coach arrives at HVRM

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#531553  by rbarcus

Yesterday, we took a train to LaCrosse and picked up LIRR coach #2937
with EL #310, our new 60' CSS flatcar (I can't remember the number),
and NKP caboose #471. I rode the coach back to North Judson with a few
of the other guys and I must say that we were impressed with the ride.
It was smooth and quiet - but it definitely needs a good cleaning!

#531893  by crij

For those of us not from the area, could you please add some more info?

LaCrosse, (state?)
HVRM, I assume the RM is Railroad Museum, but what does HV stand for?

Thanks,

Rich C

#532371  by Anthony RMLI

Do you have any pictures or the condtions of the car?

Anthony

#536548  by JasonA

The above link is correct for the HVRM.

The coach is in pretty good shape. We have a broken manifold on the diesel generator, but it's not a big deal. Mechanically, the brakes/wheels/bearings are in good shape. The car rides nice. There are some issues, the windows are lexan, and you really can't see through them. The other issue is that there is some body work to do. I am not sure how we are going to address this, that should be decided next week. By mid-summer, the coach should be repainted and new FRA glazing should be installed, along with the AC recharge. We hope to have it in the train asap.

The day the car came in:

Interior

The ceiling

The steps

Truck

#539275  by rbarcus

This car is a very smooth rider! Sorry I didn't mention location in my original post, I thought I had my signature active - apparently not.

#539396  by aline1969

4137 -Long Island Railroad -1930 American Car & Foundry - MU commuter rail coach - Class MP54A1

would this car be from the same RR in long island?

#539629  by Herr Spreng

Yes-The one and only LIRR. Rail Road-not Railroad

#539632  by aline1969

cool, thx. I sometimes wonder why we have 4137 at seashore

#540117  by Otto Vondrak

aline, naw, it's probably that OTHER Long Island Rail Road. You know, the one in Saskatchawan? Anyway, you probably have the 4137 because it's a 600v electric car and Seashore Trolley Museum has 600v wire that could possibly operate it (why do you have NYC Subway cars??)... my question to the HVRM, any reason you were looking to acquire a LIRR coach?

-otto-

#540131  by aline1969

Aww. I see, thanks for the note

#540295  by JasonA

Well, it would not have been our 1st choice. The coach belongs to a 3rd party who really likes Long Island equipment. We are leasing the car on a monthly basis, but the money that is paid on the lease will be used to maintain the car. He is also bringing a Long Island RS-1 to the museum later this year. We may also go in with him and pickup a Long Island parlor car as well. There is also a very slim, really slim chance he may bring a Long Island S1 out as well.

These Long Island cars are available for only $5000 and there are a bunch of them.