Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1065086  by nyandw

I revised the Tower page to include interior shots, rods, levers, etc. Looking to add material and especially associated block signals.

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirr%2 ... towers.htm
Interlocking board at Pond Tower 3/05/1978
Image Bethpage Jct. Tower B interlocking 03/18/79
Image "OLIVET" Tower Interior 1948 Collection: Dave Keller

As examples. Thanks folks.
 #1065279  by MattAmity90

I've actually got a question of some of the names of some of the Interlockings, I know these interlockings:

In order going from East to West.

Babylon Branch: Babylon, Amityville, Wantagh, Port, Rocky, and Valley.
Ronkonkoma Branch: Ronkonkoma, CI 1, CI 2, Brentwood, JS (I don't know what that stands for), Farmingdale, and Beth.
Port Jefferson Branch starting at Huntington: Huntington 1, Huntington 2, Amott, Divide, Divide 2, Nassau, and Queens.
Others: Harold, Penn, Jay 1, Jay 2, Locust Valley, Garden City, and Y.

The ones that I don't know the names of is:

1.) The one just West of Carle Place station. (Was built in conjunction with the Herricks Road crossing elimination)
2.) The one in between Merillon Avenue and New Hyde Park.
 #1065283  by Amtrak7

MattAmity90 wrote:I'
The ones that I don't know the names of is:

1.) The one just West of Carle Place station. (Was built in conjunction with the Herricks Road crossing elimination)
2.) The one in between Merillon Avenue and New Hyde Park.
Both of these are parts of Nassau.

NASSAU-1: just west of Merillon
NASSAU-2: Oyster Bay Branch diversion
NASSAU-3: just west of Carle Place
NASSAU-4: just north of East Williston
 #1065285  by Backshophoss

Both of those crossovers are considered part of Nassau,just east of New Hyde Park to just west of Carle Place
are the western/eastern limits.
 #1065326  by MattAmity90

Wow an interlocking that spans nearly 3 1/2 miles, so the crossover switches West of Carle Place that were built in conjunction with the Herricks Road project must have been replacement crossovers because when the crossing still existed the interlocking was East of Herricks Road as you pulled into Mineola. I still don't know why the interlocking West of Deer Park is called JS Interlocking.
 #1065335  by Backshophoss

"JS" is a set of crossovers remoted to Divide, went online the same time "DK" was closed, was named for an former LIRR offical.
Done in "87 with the orignal 3rd rail project to KO.
LIRR has a habit of naming "new" remoted controled switchs to former/retired officals of the RR.
 #1065425  by lirr42

Mr. MattAmity, here are the rest of them, going east to west:
  1. Ronkonkoma Branch/Mainline: (manual block territory) KO 2, KO 1, CI 2, CI 1, BRENT, JS, FARM 2, FARM 1, BETH, DIVIDE, NASSAU 3, NASSAU 2, NASSAU 1, QUEENS, HOLLIS, HALL, JAY, WOOD, HAROLD, F, JO, C, A
  • Port Jefferson Branch: JEFF, STONY 2, STONY 1, POST 2, POST 1, FOX 2, FOX 1, DUKE 2, DUKE 1, HUNT 3, HUNT 2, HUNT 1, AMOTT, DIVIDE
  • Oyster Bay Branch: LOCUST, NASSAU 4, NASSAU 2
  • Hempstead Branch: GARDEN, QUEENS
  • Montauk Branch: (manual block territory) SK, MS 2, MS 1, PD, Y, BABYLON, AMITYVILLE, WANTAGH, PORT, ROCKY, VALLEY, HALL, JAY, (manual block territory) , BLISS
  • Atlantic Branch: VALLEY, HALL, JAY, DUNTON, ENY, BROOK 2, BROOK 1
  • Long Beach Branch: LEAD, VALLEY
  • Far Rockaway Branch: VALLEY
  • West Hempstead Branch: VALLEY
  • Central Branch: BABYLON, BETH
  • Port Washington Branch: NECK, BAY, SHEA, WOOD, HAROLD
  • Bay Ridge Branch: FREEMONT
Last edited by lirr42 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
 #1065426  by lirr42

Amtrak7 wrote:NASSAU-1: just west of Merillon
NASSAU-2: Oyster Bay Branch diversion
NASSAU-3: just west of Carle Place
NASSAU-4: just north of East Williston
Actually, NASSAU 4 is compass south, railroad west of East Williston. The crossovers used to be north/east of the station, but have since been moved south. Here is a map
 #1065437  by MattAmity90

Thank you for all those names, I forgot about WOOD, just East of Woodside.
 #1065475  by MattAmity90

Since were talking about interlockings, crossover switches, and switch towers, I do have one question. I know that during the grade elimination of Herricks Roads and the Babylon Branch elevation, that the shoo-fly track's train traffic was controlled by block signals. Did they install switches at any of the entry points or in the middle of the temporary ROW's during either of those projects? Someone told me that the ACL segment did not have block signals, but did any of the segments on the Babylon Branch and Herricks Road have temporary interlockings installed?
 #1065548  by LB

Are you talking about Wayside Signals? There were no Wayside signals on the Herricks Road temporary tracks. Merrick/Bellmore & Wantagh/Seaford had them, A/C/L did not. A/C/L shoofly tracks were the test case for no Way-side signals. Since the outcome (success/failure) of the test case was not known, the A/C/L elevated segment was designed and constructed with provisions for Wayside signals, but were not ultimately used. See LIRR Signals Trains are Fun topic (http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrsi ... photos.htm).
 #1065563  by Noel Weaver

lirr42 wrote:Mr. MattAmity, here are the rest of them, going east to west:
  1. Ronkonkoma Branch/Mainline: (manual block territory) KO 2, KO 1, CI 2, CI 1, BRENT, JS, FARM 2, FARM 1, BETH, DIVIDE, NASSAU 3, NASSAU 2, NASSAU 1, QUEENS, HOLLIS, HALL, JAY, WOOD, HAROLD, F, JO, C, A
  • Port Jefferson Branch: JEFF, STONY 2, STONY 1, POST 2, POST 1, FOX 2, FOX 1, DUKE 2, DUKE 1, HUNT 3, HUNT 2, HUNT 1, AMOTT, DIVIDE
  • Oyster Bay Branch: LOCUST, NASSAU 4, NASSAU 2
  • Hempstead Branch: GARDEN, QUEENS
  • Montauk Branch: (manual block territory) SK, PD, Y, BABYLON, AMITYVILLE, WANTAGH, PORT, ROCKY, VALLEY, HALL, JAY, (manual block territory) , BLISS
  • Atlantic Branch: VALLEY, HALL, JAY, DUNTON, ENY, BROOK 2, BROOK 1
  • Long Beach Branch: LEAD, VALLEY
  • Far Rockaway Branch: VALLEY
  • West Hempstead Branch: VALLEY
  • Central Branch: BABYLON, BETH
  • Port Washington Branch: NECK, BAY, SHEA, WOOD, HAROLD
Here is one more - Fremont on the Bay Ridge Branch, one that I am quite familiar with.
Noel Weaver
 #1065567  by lirr42

Noel Weaver wrote:Here is one more - Fremont on the Bay Ridge Branch, one that I am quite familiar with.
Noel Weaver
Where's that? Is that the one by the Linden Shops?

(I've been editing my earlier post above to try to get a full running list of interlockings)