Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#62025  by DutchRailnut

MNCR is running both waterworlds as of this week.

Waterworld no 1 is running with two tankcars and GP35r 101 and 2012(NYC painted) braketing the consist.

Waterworld no 2 has GP35r 103?? and CDOT 2014 with waterworld 2 and two tankers.
One train does the Harlem line only, the second train does the New Haven line and Danbury branch(lower end)
 #62054  by ctaman34

what fo you mean by waterworld????????
 #62065  by Sean W.

ctaman34 wrote:what fo you mean by waterworld????????
"Waterworld" is the name for one of MNs water-pressure trains. It's used for maintenance of track - if I'm not mistaken - used to water-blast leaves, rust and so on off the rails. I forget other details however.

#62096  by DutchRailnut

MNCR originated the water washer concept, now repeated by NJT (aquatrack) and a few others to get leaf residue of the rails during slippery season.

#62139  by Swedish Meatball

Dutchrailnut, Do they just spray high-pressure water or is their a degreaser mixed in to spray off the residue.

#62182  by Otto Vondrak

Here in the Northeast where we have a lot of trees that have grown up close to the right-of-way in the last 50 or so years, we have a big problem with wet leaves falling onto the rails and causing traction problems.

I think SEPTA also has a similar train- I think theirs actually applies a sticky gel to aid in traction. I think the NJT and MN trains use water jets to remove leaves and debris from the rails. I think MN's trains are homebuilt, and NJT's system was manufactured. Or I could be TOTALLY wrong.

I think part of the problem is that more and more trees encroach on the right of way every year... I dont think this problem with wet leaves was around 50 years ago?

-otto-

#62257  by DutchRailnut

With older equipment the leaves would burn of on wheels with cast Iron brake shoes. when Railroads did go to composition brake shoes they went for lower brake pressure and the leaf residue no longer burns off.
Septa and LIRR use a compound called sandite. its like a highly abrasive toothpaste applied to the rail.
MNCR and NJT share same problem with tracks going tru watershed area's so only high presssure water is used.

#62286  by emfinite

LIRR takes the simple-minded approach to "crush" leaves during autumn using their "leaf crusher train" which consists of 2 MP15AC's bracketing 6 loaded ballast hoppers.

Why weren't either of the Waterworlds posed at the open house last weekend? It seems as that would have been a pretty popular, worth-while exhibit.

#62293  by DutchRailnut

LIRR aproach was the leaf crusher train and the sandite train. the sandite train was made out of a M1 car, and so was the Alcohol car.
The reason the two waterworlds were not displayed was they were in NWP being prepped for the work. the trains started running sunday evening.
 #123947  by Kurt

Does anyone know if one of the Waterworld units was scrapped? While passing thru North White Plains I saw an empty flat car with brackets that looked like they where recently cut. Then today, while in Croton I saw a blue tank car stenciled "Waterworld" sitting in a gondola in the deadline. Here is a picture of the tank:

http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic?phot ... bydate%3A2

#123995  by badneighbor

uh...what were these water tankers used for?

#124107  by NJD8598

uh...what were these water tankers used for?

The waterworld units are used in the fall to clean the rails of the wet leaves that can cause "slip slide" which is when its difficult to start and stop the train. If I remember correctly slip slide causes flat spots on the wheels as well. There isn't usually a problem when there isnt much rain, because the train blows the leaves away but if the leaves are wet and get pulverized, that and the remaining residue can cause a problem. Waterworld comes in and uses high pressure water jets to clear things up.

#124123  by DutchRailnut

the first water world was rebuilt on another flat car but with tank cars attached for the water.
The first jttx car was overloaded with the tank in middle.
 #124155  by Kurt

Thanks Dutch. That makes sense, as that must have been real heavy with that tank car. Water weighs about 8.2 lbs per gallon, and how many gallons were in that tank?

#124167  by DutchRailnut

The original car had a 10 000 gallon tank I believe, a Atlas Copco Compressor and a high pressure washer with big diesel engine a 550 gallon fuel tank and control cabin.
second unit has all stuff exept the watertank on a shorter car and two or three tank cars.
the third is an improved version of Number 2.
To bad they did not put all the machinery inside a gutted FL9 and use them as waterworld /cab car, it would have cut active diesels in half for the operation.