Railroad Forums 

• Lake Shore Limited

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1623096  by lordsigma12345

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 12:12 pm By the way, on my listening to the music comment, I know a fellow who lives along the B&A, not all that much of a railfan, but for whatever his reasons is afraid of flying, and who regularly uses 448-9. He has no use for the music, so he rides Coach to and from ALB and boards or alights his Sleeper there.
Hmmm this fellow sounds familiar Mr. Norman.

It will be interesting to see what 448/449 looks like if the state succeeds with more passenger service on the B&A. Right now though that effort remains focused on the inland route so 448/449 would remain the sole trains west of SPG. Later plans also include additional ALB - BOS frequencies. Given Railjunkie’s comments on how 448/449 are crewed am curious how Springfield - Boston would be crewed for the potential inland service.
 #1623099  by west point

Whatever crews should all be qualified New Haven - SPG - BOS. That way when the Shore line east of New Haven ( NOT SLE RR ) is closed by weather or a bridge malfunction or other the Regionals can detour by the inland route seamlessly.
 #1623100  by Railjunkie

west point wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:14 pm Whatever crews should all be qualified New Haven - SPG - BOS. That way when the Shore line east of New Haven ( NOT SLE RR ) is closed by weather or a bridge malfunction or other the Regionals can detour by the inland route seamlessly.
That would be Zone 3 work SPG to BOS. NHV to SPG is Zone 2. So you would have to have either a small crew base in SPG which there already is. Or you could do like there once was. A small group of Zone 3 qualified T&E (BOS-ALB) that worked out of BOS.
 #1623190  by BandA

I believe the MA plan is to add 2 trains per day each way, operated by Amtrak, which are basically additional instances of 448/449. Hopefully they sync with other trains at SPG and ALB.

The existing 448/449 operate non-rush hour in MA iirc. Stations like FRA, WOR, BBY and BOS that are pretty easy to get to by automobile off-peak become horrific at rush hour. FRA especially would have a much smaller cachement area at rush hour.

Looking at the schedule, does the bustitution really take five hours to get from ALB to BOS?
 #1623242  by Railjunkie

BandA wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:57 pm I believe the MA plan is to add 2 trains per day each way, operated by Amtrak, which are basically additional instances of 448/449. Hopefully they sync with other trains at SPG and ALB.

The existing 448/449 operate non-rush hour in MA iirc. Stations like FRA, WOR, BBY and BOS that are pretty easy to get to by automobile off-peak become horrific at rush hour. FRA especially would have a much smaller cachement area at rush hour.

Looking at the schedule, does the bustitution really take five hours to get from ALB to BOS?
Yes the bustitution takes 5 hours BECAUSE IT HAS TO RUN ON THE TRAINS SCHEDULE. Could you make all the stops and be there in three? Sure.

For numbers boarding and alighting at stations like FRA WOR BBY and BOS I would suggest looking at Keolis. Amtrak may not carry local passengers between those stops. Cant remember if we did back when I was in the monkey suit.
 #1623285  by CSRR573

Speaking for the mechanical forces at Southampton, Carmen, electrian, and piper wise, there is no extra training for the Viewliners. the only issue is we have to change the cutting heads on the wheel machine when we have a Viewliner to reprofile. And when it comes to parts, forget it. we barely stock parts for anything other then an ACS. Everything is usually overnighted if its needed badly. And for commissary, im not sure as its contracted out to Aramark
 #1623315  by Railjunkie

CSRR573 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:05 pm Speaking for the mechanical forces at Southampton, Carmen, electrian, and piper wise, there is no extra training for the Viewliners. the only issue is we have to change the cutting heads on the wheel machine when we have a Viewliner to reprofile. And when it comes to parts, forget it. we barely stock parts for anything other then an ACS. Everything is usually overnighted if its needed badly. And for commissary, im not sure as its contracted out to Aramark
When they pass through Albany the mechanical dept. does there best yo put a band aide on the issue. If it is really broke the shop has no parts and its going to stay that way till it gets to Chicago or swapped out in Boston. They have little to no training on Viewliners. Send in your tired and beat up 40s and 42s they will rebuild them. I was just on the 121 yesterday of loaded rock truck fame. It was on its way to Pittsfield with the 27 happy pilgrims on the Berkshire Flyer
 #1623359  by CSRR573

Railjunkie wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:52 am
When they pass through Albany the mechanical dept. does there best yo put a band aide on the issue. If it is really broke the shop has no parts and its going to stay that way till it gets to Chicago or swapped out in Boston. They have little to no training on Viewliners. Send in your tired and beat up 40s and 42s they will rebuild them. I was just on the 121 yesterday of loaded rock truck fame. It was on its way to Pittsfield with the 27 happy pilgrims on the Berkshire Flyer
The carmen i work with tell me they never got extra training on the viewliners, they just dig into them. And for the p42s, albany does alot more to them then we at boston. The Albany shops are like state of the art comapred to us in boston. I was there a few years ago and didnt realize what we dont have in boston
 #1623641  by R.B.Phillips

We saw Wednesday at NYP/Moynihan how the Boston equipment is handled. When we boarded 49, it was already at the front of the train - Viewliner II sleeper, cafe, two coaches. We were booked in one of the New York sleepers (which were one Viewliner II and one I). The cafe at front did open past Harmon, and I heard crew referring to at least one passenger in 4920, the "Boston" Viewliner II.

Returning from Cleveland Monday, we're booked in 4820, the Boston sleeper, which will turn into a bus ride at ALB. I'm happy to have grade crossing music that day ride across my home upstate NY.

To avoid the bus ride westbound, I had rebooked us to a Regional BOS-NYP, then caught 49. It was a treat having to walk 2 cars to the diner instead of 6, being in NY sleeper. Beef short ribs were quite good Wednesday!
 #1623648  by markhb

Railjunkie wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:56 am Yes the bustitution takes 5 hours BECAUSE IT HAS TO RUN ON THE TRAINS SCHEDULE. Could you make all the stops and be there in three? Sure.

For numbers boarding and alighting at stations like FRA WOR BBY and BOS I would suggest looking at Keolis. Amtrak may not carry local passengers between those stops. Cant remember if we did back when I was in the monkey suit.
The one time I rode the LSL and got bustituted EB, they ran two buses: one express ALB-BOS, the other that made all the intermediate stops. Obviously we got to South Station well ahead of the timetable.

Is there a date for 448 & 449 to return to regular services, as opposed to the bustitution?
 #1623884  by R.B.Phillips

Amtrak says 29 June, but I'm not making plans based on that.

We were moved during the early morning hours from 4820 to 4812, so had the short walk to the diner again. Then we, like you, got on the express bus. We used the extra time to have a pleasant meal and wine at Tavern At The Square before meeting our limo driver to the exurbs.

R.B.
 #1623887  by Railjunkie

June 29th is the target date for CSX to discontinue the annual kicking of the rocks. Very rarely does this festival end on time. :-D
 #1624808  by R.B.Phillips

Today, both 48 and 49 had 3 "New York" sleepers, in addition to the forward one associated with the Boston passengers. One Viewliner II and the rest I.