Railroad Forums 

• Just finishing at NARS, any GCOR, or job advise?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#193596  by narsgrad

wannertant,

your first day in class the training coordinator will give you a voucher for boots. They'll have a list of places to go along with acceptable boots for the job. BNSF will pay for 80% of the pair you choose. The balance will made in 2 payroll deductions.

So...don't go out and but a pair.

Also, keep in mind I'm telling you what is done on the Gulf division. It may differ on other divisions...

Good luck to you!

#193658  by gojoe19

I think Wannertant's talking about the yard at nars. Yes you have to get BNSF approved boots for chiggar yard, but get cheap ones because once you get hired BNSF will pay 80%. there is a redwing shoes near campus that has some, ask your instructor where it's at. I think the standard is that they be lace up, steel toe, and at least 5" tall for ankle support. By the way, congrats on the GCOR. Now prepare to answer these questions in the interview:

Describe a time at a previous job when you used teamwork to accomplish a task, and how did it work?

Who is mostly responsible for safety in the work place?

Have you ever worked in a position where safety was a factor?

Explain a time when you had an altrication or disagreement with a coworker, and how did you solve it?

The may ask other questions, and possibly word them differently but these were a few that I and everyone I talked to were asked. It goes without saying but remember your "sirs and maams", thank you's, and eye contact. There was two people asking questions, so be sure to acknowledge each one. It only lasts between 10 and 15 minutes for each canidate.

#193666  by JuKayes

gojoe,

By chance do you remember, is one the people conducting the interviews a woman by the name of Suki Butler?

#193788  by Wannertant

thanks narsgrad and gojoe for the information. I also was wondering for chigger do we have to have gloves or any thing else. also any word yet on your start date gojoe.

#193828  by narsgrad

wannertant,

they will give you gloves in class b4 going to chigger yard.

#193829  by narsgrad

JuKayes,

Suki Butler is the HR Generalist for the Gulf Division (and perhaps other divisions, as well).

#194208  by gojoe19

I don't recall the name Suki Butler being there, but she may have been. There was a man named Greg, another named Bill I think, and Pam Sherlock, among others. Wannertant, I got the medical qualification back and I start in the next class, the HR person said at the begining of January, but I don't have the exact date yet, I'll call her early next week to find out if I don't get the letter by then.

#194688  by bnsfjordan

Gojoe,
How were your medical results returned to you? Was it by email? I took my strength test last week and am now anxiously waiting to hear back from BNSF.

#194786  by gojoe19

bnsfjordan, I got impatient and called ADP and they told me everything was good and that I qualified for employment.

#198434  by bnsfjordan

Gojoe,
Have you heard anything from BNSF yet?
I just received my final letter today. My start date is April 24.

#199689  by gojoe19

bnsfjordan, sorry for the delay in my reply, hollidays and all. My start date is Jan 2nd. Can't wait to get started!

#202458  by Wannertant

So how is the first week going is it anything like the nars program?

#202856  by gojoe19

we started out with rules, and videos, then we spent the last few days in the yard. next week is all classroom and week 3 is on the job training untill week 8 I think, then more rules. 9-14 is back to on the job, 15 is test prep, 16 hostler, 17 RCO. I could be wrong on some of that but, thats close. The classroom stuff is like NARS, go over the stuff in class, homework at night, quiz in the morning. the stuff in the yard is like at chiggar in the first week, couple and uncouple, ride a car or two, hand signals, lantern signals,....etc. The big difference will be the on the job training. Do you start training in denver?

#202962  by bnsfjordan

gojoe19 wrote:we started out with rules, and videos, then we spent the last few days in the yard. next week is all classroom and week 3 is on the job training untill week 8 I think, then more rules. 9-14 is back to on the job, 15 is test prep, 16 hostler, 17 RCO. I could be wrong on some of that but, thats close. The classroom stuff is like NARS, go over the stuff in class, homework at night, quiz in the morning. the stuff in the yard is like at chiggar in the first week, couple and uncouple, ride a car or two, hand signals, lantern signals,....etc. The big difference will be the on the job training. Do you start training in denver?
I'm not sure if this question is directed at me, but La Junta is where I hired out and where I will train. My training coordinator didn't even know a new class was starting for La Junta, so he was kind of surprised when I called him, LOL.

Gojoe, did you hire out on the Santa Fe side or BN side? I know the rates of pay are different for each, and the training schedule is also different.

#203942  by Wannertant

Gojoe and some of the others that graduated from nars,
My class ended on the 23 of dec, and i still have yet to hear from anyone. I saw that with you gojoe it was 17 days from the end of your class before you heard from them. Any one else know how long it should take? I realize that we had christmas and new years to contend with, but i am really getting impatient (lol) :P