Railroad Forums 

• Is CSX going to sell?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#115785  by sammy

I heard from a friend of a friend that works for CSX that they may be selling off some biusness and maybe laying off some employees. We live in south Alabama, and I know most of the members hear are from the north, but if any one knows anything about this please explain. Im on the ready for class list in Jacksonville for the conductor trainee school, and this will really effect my willingness to shell out the fourty-two hundred bucks! Thanks

#115878  by RailBus63

I haven't heard anything lately about general cutbacks at CSX. The railroad has been looking to lease or sell some of its less-profitable routes to shortline railroads. In those cases, the shortlines usually try to run the line with fewer employees.

JD

#115879  by CSX Conductor

RailBus63 wrote:looking to lease or sell some of its less-profitable routes to shortline railroads.
Same thing as selling it!!! :-(

#115881  by washingtonsecondary

This stupid rumor was started on another message board. CSX was supposed to be disolved in March. So its April and they are still around.

#115882  by CSX Conductor

But they are continuing to sell of the short lines. :(

#115908  by efin98

At least with leasing the ownership is still "CSX" and money can continue to be made- with someone else picking up the tab for the line :wink:

#115972  by roadster

not by workers furloughed by CSX when the lines were sold/leased off

#116027  by Noel Weaver

delete
Last edited by Noel Weaver on Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#116107  by crazy_nip

Noel Weaver wrote:This leasing scheme is just a move by CSX to avoid paying their
employees and dumping the operation on to someone else.
Unfortunately, they are being allowed to get away with this stuff. In my
opinion they should either operate the line or sell the line period.
Protective conditions should be provided to the affected employees too.
When they do this, the party picking up the line should have access to a
competeting railroad too.
It is one thing to get rid of a line but lets have an even playing field when
we do it.
Noel Weaver
why should railroads be treated differently than the millions of other workers in the U.S. which have been displaced by outsourcing, and contracting?

Honestly I think most of this that CSX has done has been pretty good from an economic point of view.

They retain the loads when they interchange with the shortline, but offload the line operational costs and tax expenses

It makes alot of sense actually.

It sucks when people lose their jobs, but look around, this has been happening in other industries for DECADES

in fact, alot of these problems have been brought apon the rr's by the unions themselves.

#116129  by Avro Arrow

CSX sold off their Mineral Sub in northeast AL easlier this year. We haven't heard about them selling off anything else.

#116177  by sammy

The two locations I applied for are the Mobile docks, thats on the M&M sub that runs from Mobile to Montgomery,I think this is a pretty profitable line as it links New Orleans to anything north. And the Pensacola Fl. yard witch is not nearly as big as the one in Mobile, that is on the P&A sub I believe. It lies between Jacsonville and the intersection of the M&M at Flomaton Al. Witch has a small yard. While I know these yards arent as big as, or serve nearly as many customers as the ones in bigger citys I find it hard to believe that CSX would lease them out. Do they do this with yards, and lines that are located on main lines as this? Yes they both are interchange points with short lines that have small operations in and around these citys. I believe the docks in Mobile have their oun short line that works the port, but CSX has a larg yard and a small facilaty for loading containers for intermodal trains. I gess I am just trieing to make myself feel better about all this. Its like God dosent want me to work for the railroad.
As for this just being a rumer, MAN I HOPE SO! But the guy I got the info. from is a signal man for CSX and he really wants me to get on with them, so I dont think he would pull my chain. He got the word to me so I could investagate it myself. He didnt know anything els about it at the time, and I havent had a chance to get back with him.

#116182  by JasonP

The first thing you learn from the old heads when you go to work on the railroad is that 'the company is going to Hell and there's nothing you can do about it, so why did you bother even coming here?'

Go with the flow. The railroad, in one form or another, will outlast all of us.

#116186  by sammy

Thanks for the look on the lighter side of things. I really souldnt stress so much, but I have a lot on the line.

#116242  by Noel Weaver

The railroad industry has been full of rumors for many long years,
I was told in 1956 that it was dying and in a way at the time, it was at
least sick and shrinking.
As far as a job is concerned, that might be beyond the subject here but I
would tell you this, take any job that you want and can get hired for, get
yourself hired and on a roster. If the job falls apart, the line is sold or
whatever, there is a nationwide shortage of T & E people and you will find
something somewhere if you are qualified.
Make sure that you can pass the physical and the most important drug
test. If you have any questions about the drug test, it might be that you
will have a problem with it.
This is for everyone, if you are EVEN THINKING about drugs, forget about
working for the railroad, THEY DO NOT MIX.......
Noel Weaver
Last edited by Noel Weaver on Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#116473  by Railjunkie

When working on the railroad beleive half of what you see and nothing of what you hear. As given to me by an old head.