Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1100529  by Backshophoss

Forgive the dumb Question,where was the rail ops center located? MMC was built on landfill in the jersey meadows.
The NJ Coast Line(Bay Head) got hit hard,any word on the Alantic City route??
 #1100541  by 25Hz

Backshophoss wrote:Forgive the dumb Question,where was the rail ops center located? MMC was built on landfill in the jersey meadows.
If i'm not mistaken, it is located across the street from newark penn station to the east.
 #1100542  by 25Hz

jamesinclair wrote:A cab would break the bank, looks like it would cost 100. She might have to stow away on the Amtrak for the ten minute ride to metropark and cab from there
Or, you could have her go to newark penn station, and take the AM train to new brunswick. She can take the 62 bus right from the terminals to newark penn. I would recommend getting to newark no later than 5 am no earlier than 3. Check the schedules, use trip planner, call customer service, whatever you need to do to get correct overnight route 62 info from the airport to newark penn.

After that, its simply a matter of getting on train 181 the 6:21 am departure. Call amtrak to see if that is the correct time and ask about other trains that might cut the wait.

That is how you do that with no njt trains running and not spending a fortune. If you have any questions or need further help PM me and i'll get back to you ASAP.

The 181 train is 28 bucks, the bus is like 2 bucks. Due to the storm craziness they may simply have her board with no ticket since its not her fault njt isn't running. Can't hurt to ask the conductors either. There may be dozens of others needing to make the same trip & in these kinds of situations amtrak would simply have them board at newark. Can't be leaving people stranded.
 #1100546  by morris&essex4ever

Backshophoss wrote:Forgive the dumb Question,where was the rail ops center located? MMC was built on landfill in the jersey meadows.
According to this page, it's at the MMC in Kearny. I agree, the NJCL got battered in storm. I don't know how badly the ACL was damaged.
 #1100593  by JasW

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Coast Line in Point Pleasant Beach
I'm still looking to find out what if anything happened to the Manasquan River bridge(s) between Brielle and PPB. You would think no news is good news but there's been a lot of no news from NJT.
 #1100618  by pumpers

Lot of pics of damage on slideshow on NJT homepage. http://www.njtransit.com
The boats on Morgan draw, Meadows Maintenance, Hoboken, New York Penn/West Side yard, Bay Head Yard, Perth Amboy etc. All very grim. I think we can write off the Coast line few months. Some of the same photos that LIRR posted earlier and lots more. At NYP, it looks like they had some kind of inflatable tube 6-feet(?) high across the tracks to stop water from entering a tunnel, not clear how effective it was. JS
Edit: if you click "show info" near the top during the slideshow, it tells you where each picture is from
Last edited by pumpers on Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #1100632  by Roadgeek Adam

I haven't seen photos north of South Amboy, but if someone else has, would it be possible at this point to run the Coast Line from Union to South Amboy and bustitute from South Amboy on south?
 #1100656  by pumpers

Roadgeek Adam wrote:I haven't seen photos north of South Amboy, but if someone else has, would it be possible at this point to run the Coast Line from Union to South Amboy and bustitute from South Amboy on south?
The slideshow I mentioned on the NJT site shows washouts in Perth Amboy. And south of Long Branch, the many of the towns are largely impassable, if they are left at all.
 #1100673  by Steve F45

the dispatch center is in the mmc. the mmc is built ontop of the old prr meadows yard which is pretty much at sea level. when the surge came thru the hackensack river it aniliated anything in its path. Guess njt is going to rethink keeping the center at the mmc and maybe move it to 1 penn
 #1100698  by blockline4180

Olton Hall wrote:I wondered how much damage there is to all the rolling stock that's at MMC.
I don't know it it all was at MMC, but im sure the majority of it was either there or somewhere a long the NJCL... As I mentioned a few pages prior it was 65 engines and 255 cars or so... I have no idea what engines or cars, but I'm sure it was little bit of everything... Also there were are lot of ALP45's sitting at Meadows so I'm sure they were damaged too!!

I'm just glad most of our posters here are safe!!!
 #1100725  by jamesinclair

25Hz wrote:
jamesinclair wrote:A cab would break the bank, looks like it would cost 100. She might have to stow away on the Amtrak for the ten minute ride to metropark and cab from there
Or, you could have her go to newark penn station, and take the AM train to new brunswick. She can take the 62 bus right from the terminals to newark penn. I would recommend getting to newark no later than 5 am no earlier than 3. Check the schedules, use trip planner, call customer service, whatever you need to do to get correct overnight route 62 info from the airport to newark penn.

After that, its simply a matter of getting on train 181 the 6:21 am departure. Call amtrak to see if that is the correct time and ask about other trains that might cut the wait.

That is how you do that with no njt trains running and not spending a fortune. If you have any questions or need further help PM me and i'll get back to you ASAP.

The 181 train is 28 bucks, the bus is like 2 bucks. Due to the storm craziness they may simply have her board with no ticket since its not her fault njt isn't running. Can't hurt to ask the conductors either. There may be dozens of others needing to make the same trip & in these kinds of situations amtrak would simply have them board at newark. Can't be leaving people stranded.
We found her a new option, shell be taking the coach usa bus to the port authority terminal and then another coach bus to nb
 #1100738  by lirr42

Some photos from the above link (for those on phones who may not be able to view the slideshow):

Morgan Draw:
(Photo credit: NJ Transit Flickr)