Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1100777  by lirr42

Amtrak posted a release regarding the drainage of one of the North River Tunnel's Thursday on it's website. (for once Amtrak has more information on it's website than NJT!!)
An Amtrak Service Advisory, posted on [url=http://www.amtrak.com]Amtrak.com[/url] wrote:AMTRAK CLEARS WATER FROM ONE OF THE HUDSON RIVER TUNNELS
Repairs continue, test train to operate later today; New York City service restoration pending.

November 1, 2012
1:30 p.m. ET

Amtrak engineering and transportation forces are working together to restore service to and from New York City from points south and north on the Northeast Corridor.

Water has been pumped from one of the two Amtrak tunnels under the Hudson River and repairs continue in order to operate modified service. Among the procedures being followed is the operation of a test train -- without public passengers -- between New York City and Newark, N.J.

Amtrak will make an announcement later today regarding service restoration at New York City. When service resumes, it will subject to delay while repairs continue.

Reservations and ticketing for the modified service is not yet available. Passengers for the service will be asked to make reservations and/or use the eTicketing option with their computers and smartphones before traveling to Penn Station New York, 30th Street Station in Philadelphia or other Amtrak locations.

Customers are encouraged to monitor Amtrak.com/alerts and those Northeast Corridor passengers on Acela Express, Northeast Regional or Keystone Service trains can follow @AmtrakNEC on Twitter to be notified when updates are posted on Amtrak.com. Amtrak will also be providing updates on its Facebook.com/Amtrak and Twitter.com/Amtrak pages.

Passengers who have paid but choose not to travel due to this service disruption can receive a refund or a voucher for future travel. Some tickets booked online that have not yet been printed can be modified or canceled on Amtrak.com or by using the free Amtrak mobile app.

To be notified of major service disruptions resulting in delays of 60 minutes or more to multiple trains on the Northeast Corridor, follow @AmtrakNEC on Twitter.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant. Passengers are encouraged to call 800-USA-RAIL or visit Amtrak.com/alerts for Service Alerts and Passenger Notices. Schedule information and train status updates are available at the Amtrak.com home page.
 #1100787  by M&Eman

I hope this means some time soon limited Trenton-NYP service might return, or at bare minimum Newark-NYP shuttles to compensate for the lack of PATH.
 #1100790  by Olton Hall

I heard on Gov Christies latest news brief that 25% of NJT's cars had been underwater. Mostly stored at Hobeken and MMC. Temporary replacement cars being brought in.
 #1100801  by ryanov

Seems odd they didn't move more stuff out of those areas, really the worst places for them to be. I guess that might have ended service way earlier than it was though.
 #1100803  by Steve F45

well they may have thought they'de make it thru the storm. Initial weather estimates for storm surge were only at 12 feet, something like 15-18 foot storm surge actually hit. So at 12' the equipment might have just had its wheels wet. Where are these extra cars coming from?
 #1100806  by Jersey_Mike

I heard on Gov Christies latest news brief that 25% of NJT's cars had been underwater. Mostly stored at Hobeken and MMC. Temporary replacement cars being brought in.
Hey SEPTA, NJT called, they want their Comets back.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only surplus equipment floating around in this region would be the MNRR M-2's. Can those still work on 25Hz?
 #1100811  by lnj

WCBS 880 AM is reporting that limited service on the NEC (TRE-NWK), NJCL (Woodbridge-Newark) and RVL (to/from Raritan) will be restored tomorrow.