Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Jeff

Few months ago someone listed the salaries of different management jobs on the LIRR. He said most of the new managers and bosses make about $65,000 but that a very few make more than twice that much.
How do I get one of the jobs that make the higher money. I have been a railfan for over five years and because of that I am sure I no more than most of the people that get the big salaries and I can do their jobs.
I am also a member of NARP and the ERA so I am sure when they see that they will offer me a job. I just do nopt want to get stuck making only $65,000 when there are jobs making more than twice that much I should apply for. I can already do the conductors job -- I learned how to punch tickets and remembered all the stations on most lines.
Can anyone tell me how I can get one of the higher paying jobs and how much I can expect to make when I get it?
  by Clemuel

Just in case you're for real, I'll answer your question.

The few folks on the Railroad who earn in the $150,000 range have three things going for them:

Seniority (they have been there a long time)
Skill (they know lots about railroads and about managing men)
Loyalty (they love their jobs and put in lots of hours)
Political Savy (if they are appointed positions, they are well liked)

These things are usually needed to get ahead in any job. The best paying bosses are managers who are represented by a union, like Track Foremen and Mechanical Foremen. They motivate the men and get the work done. Most would be successful wherever they worked. They earn twice what their supervisors are paid.

Oh yes, Jeff, there's another skill one needs to succeed -- Humility.

It will probably help a guy like you.

Clemuel
  by jg greenwood

Jeff wrote:Few months ago someone listed the salaries of different management jobs on the LIRR. He said most of the new managers and bosses make about $65,000 but that a very few make more than twice that much.
How do I get one of the jobs that make the higher money. I have been a railfan for over five years and because of that I am sure I no more than most of the people that get the big salaries and I can do their jobs.
I am also a member of NARP and the ERA so I am sure when they see that they will offer me a job. I just do nopt want to get stuck making only $65,000 when there are jobs making more than twice that much I should apply for. I can already do the conductors job -- I learned how to punch tickets and remembered all the stations on most lines.
Can anyone tell me how I can get one of the higher paying jobs and how much I can expect to make when I get it?
Learn the difference between no and know, you know?

by LIengineerBob

You can get a job like that just like all the others that gotten them before you.....EARN them. As already mentioned, those few individuals have 30 or more years on the job or are politcal appointees. You cannot walk in off the street and just be given a $150,000 a year position because you know how to punch tickets (do you know how to pucnh a senior ticket with a peak step up with a return ticket thats off peak??)and are a member of a few rail-buff organizations.

by Legio X

The MTA Police Department is a good job. Top pay after five years is $69000. They do ten-hour tours, four on/four off. Benefits are good too. Retirement at half-pay after twenty years of service.

by SK2MY

Sorry, but I have to speak my mind a bit when you are downplaying the role of a Conductor. LIRR Conductors do more than punch tickets and know the stations on all "lines." I think that you are referring to our 11 Branches. Most non-employees don't realize the study that is involved with becoming a conductor. If you are interested in my rambling on, let me know and I will run down the qualifications and responsibilites of the trainmen.

by Long Island 7285

Legio,

where do you go to look into recruting for the MTA Police?

I was thinking of stopping by one of there stations but i dont want to look suspisous :wink:

by Lupo 10

Long Island 7285,

I took the MTA police test. It was posted on the MTA site. But if you walk into the police station at Penn and ask when the next test is I bet they can look it up for you (unless there are no tests scheduled at this time)

My biggest regret. I passed that test and was called for the physical. I was in VERY poor shape physically and didn't even attend to see if I could pass their tests.

I can't look back now but everytime I see something about the MTA police I get a little depressed that I made that choice back then. Oh well. Life goes on. Good luck the next time there's a test.

Joe
  by ncvab

Jeff wrote:How do I get one of the jobs that make the higher money. I have been a railfan for over five years....
You should get a job as a comedian.

The only thing funnier than your comment is a true story. A goof who ran a northeastern railfan society applied for the job as editor of a major railroad trade publication. This moron never had a real job, even though he was approaching middle age. In his resume, he stated his main qualification for the position: "I have been president of a railfan society for ten years". Needless to say he didn't get hired.

by Legio X

7285:
The next time you're at Penn, ask at the MTAPD station. They'll know, although they may have given a test recently. I'm not sure, though. I did'nt bother, because I have eleven years to go in the NYPD, and my time would'nt transfer with me. I'd be starting all over again, and I'm looking forward to retiring from the City b.s. when I'm 44....Give it a try, though. The MTA cops I've met while doing counter-terrorism sweeps at Grand Central and Penn Station, and the detail at Belmont Park for the Belmont Stakes are friendly. I guess the more bored you are, the more talkative you are. After nine years in the City, I'll take bored over terrified any day.... :wink:

by Long Island 7285

Legio, Lupo,

thanks for the tips. ill take it into consideration. (im also not in too good phsycal shape) but ill give it a shot. if i were to land the job would i be able to transfer my fathers NYPD badg # over since hes retired, i herd that, if i were to be in the NYPD that i can take over his #'s is this true or not?
thanks..

by mark777

SK2MY

THANK YOU. i thought that i was going to have to explode again trying to explain to ignorant people that punching tickets are not our only responsibilities on our job. meanwhile I sit here, studying the RR to such a degree that i think i have trains running around my head while i sleep at night. You know things are extreme when the RR starts showing up in your dreams regularly.

by Clemuel

Haha... hardest thing I ever had to do was qualify on the LIRR.

Clem

by bluebelly

Clemuel wrote:Haha... hardest thing I ever had to do was qualify on the LIRR.

Clem
Me too . If I put half the effort into college that it took to qualify I could be working for NASA. I didn't see it myself, so I cannot verify, but my Brakeman told me there was an article in Newsday a while back that said the LIRR qualifying exam is the the 3rd hardest test in NY State behind the BAR exam, and the CPA exam.

by Long Island 7285

Bluebelly

i herd similar.. from a cndr once, he told be that it was the 2nd hardest, but i guess that artical says no

do they actully hold classes teaching you the railroad. or do they just give out the books and say learn on your own?