Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by DutchRailnut

Hucked on fonics wurks fur me ??
:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

by LIRailfan79

i'll bet with everything you THINK you know, that you still only know about .5% of what you need to know to be a good manager. you know all the stations?...wow, its not like you could just carry a map of the LIRR with you and know all of them. so thats useless. and the rules? everyone has to know the rules. i find it really amusing that people think being a railfan makes them qualified to be a RR employee.

i think with all your "RailRoad Knowledge" you would still be VERY lucky to get a job cleaning the toilets on the M-7's for $25,000 a year. and you may not even be qualified for that, even with knowing all the stations and rules, LOL.

i would get this stupid idea that making $60,000 a year isn't good enough out of your head and that you think you should be hired right away making $150,000. give me a friggin break. why would they pay you $150,000???, because for the past how many years you like to watch the choo-choo trains go by?? please....

by Clemuel

Hay Railfan...

Those M-7 toilets have been exploding. Maybe they'd have to give this guy bigger bucks to clean 'em.

Clem

by Liquidcamphor

Jeff may I take a crack at answering your question?

It's more than reasonable that a person of your skill and experience would qualify for a high paying managerial position on the LIRR. Be sure to explain on your resume that you are a rail buff and can easily qualify for any management position on the Railroad. Be sure to include your experience simulating train horns and that you know how many times a minute the engine bell rings.

Usually, the LIRR breaks in a new prospective manager by assigning them to the very important position of tieing train order strings for use by the Block Operators. This is probably the single most important position on the LIRR.

Stress on your resume that you are capable and willing to tie train order strings. This will open the door for your career on the LIRR.

I hope this helps.

by Jeff

When I get my job as your boss you will be fired on the spot for talking to me like that. And I'll have the power to do it! You are jealous that I can get such a big job there while you are still just a conducter after so many years!

by jg greenwood

Jeff wrote:When I get my job as your boss you will be fired on the spot for talking to me like that. And I'll have the power to do it! You are jealous that I can get such a big job there while you are still just a conducter after so many years!
Considering your lofty qualifications, and your obvious expertise, you should immediately apply for the position of Geekmaster. One small tip; if you're unable to spell conductor, then abbreviate. Condr.

by Jeff

If you were college educated you'd know that the ability to communicate does not need traditional spelling. You knew what I ment, right? Thats whats so different about younger people today. We spend our minds on developeing concepts and ideas to make things happen instead of wasting energy and time on traditional not importent resources like traditional spelling. The Internet changed all that and traditional spelling is out, dudes. IN fact, when you go for a interview, people no that you are educated cause you arent stuck with oldfashioned spelling. Your ages are showing

by jg greenwood

Jeff wrote:If you were college educated you'd know that the ability to communicate does not need traditional spelling. You knew what I ment, right? Thats whats so different about younger people today. We spend our minds on developeing concepts and ideas to make things happen instead of wasting energy and time on traditional not importent resources like traditional spelling. The Internet changed all that and traditional spelling is out, dudes. IN fact, when you go for a interview, people no that you are educated cause you arent stuck with oldfashioned spelling. Your ages are showing
It's obvious you have all the answers. Now, why does someone so skilled at "developing concepts and ideas" find it necessary to ask how to obtain these jobs in the first place? You probably are college educated, that's frightening!

by bluebelly

Jeff wrote:When I get my job as your boss you will be fired on the spot for talking to me like that. And I'll have the power to do it! You are jealous that I can get such a big job there while you are still just a conducter after so many years!
Really? Wow and all these years i thought Liquid was an Engineer.
Hey buddy, I think you should forget the LIRR.With your qualifications why think small? Go right to the top apply for a positon on the MTA board. I am sure they would love to have you.
Hell forgot that too. Send your resume to Washington DC. I am sure once they see it they'll appoint you head of the FRA for life.

by Liquidcamphor

Jeff, I cannot be fired because I am in a union! A man of your great intelligence and ability should know that members of unions cannot be fired. What we can do on the railroad as conductors and engineers is make managers like the one that you aspire to be so miserable that you'll be on your knees in Jamaica station begging us to please take the train. I am on the railroad a long time and dealing with potential lightweights as yourself is so elementary that it's not even worth anything more then a passing thought. Consider this training for your new job. Good luck to you, I sincerely hope you get the job as a high paid executive on the railroad. I look forward to meeting you as you demand that I run my train and I remind you that only a qualified locomotive engineer can operate locomotives and you undoubtedly will not be one.

by LIengineerBob

Liquidcamphor wrote:Jeff, I cannot be fired because I am in a union! A man of your great intelligence and ability should know that members of unions cannot be fired. What we can do on the railroad as conductors and engineers is make managers like the one that you aspire to be so miserable that you'll be on your knees in Jamaica station begging us to please take the train. I am on the railroad a long time and dealing with potential lightweights as yourself is so elementary that it's not even worth anything more then a passing thought. Consider this training for your new job. Good luck to you, I sincerely hope you get the job as a high paid executive on the railroad. I look forward to meeting you as you demand that I run my train and I remind you that only a qualified locomotive engineer can operate locomotives and you undoubtedly will not be one.
Liquid, I can start the line forming behind you??

by LIRailfan79

Jeff wrote:If you were college educated you'd know that the ability to communicate does not need traditional spelling. You knew what I ment, right? Thats whats so different about younger people today. We spend our minds on developeing concepts and ideas to make things happen instead of wasting energy and time on traditional not importent resources like traditional spelling. The Internet changed all that and traditional spelling is out, dudes. IN fact, when you go for a interview, people no that you are educated cause you arent stuck with oldfashioned spelling. Your ages are showing
Hey look at me, i am also young (25) and college educated; but unlike you i do know how to spell. does that mean i'm some kind of boy-genius for being able to accomplish both tasks?
you may be able to get some things done, but boy will you sure come off looking like a total dumb-ass in the process.
Last edited by LIRailfan79 on Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

by SK2MY

To LI Railfan:

I am all with you brother!!! However, it's GENIUS, not GENIOUS!!!

by mark777

Jeff

I'd rather be a Conductor or Engineer than to be up there in mangement like you so strive to be. See, I'm not very good at sticking my nose up you know where, which is how some folks progress, not only here on the RR, but everywhere you go. And good for you, so you have been on every line, and you know the rules too? Wow, I guess that train set of yours that you have at home has really helped you out. Listen dude, you shouldn't talk too much about what you don't know. I most certainly am sure that if you were to even take the entrance exam for Asst. Conductor that you would probably fail with flying colors. You think that because you have a college degree that you are better or more qualified? Tell you what, I have an Associates degree in Transportation, Logistics and Management, and a BA in Business Admin. But guess what, I had to enter the same way that everyone else did, and some folks with an even bigger degree than mine failed in the entrance exam. So please, stop the insanity. And if you know how to spell correctly, I would hate to see someone who can't spell! Now go on, your choo-choo train set is waiting for you. Good news folks, we have a new qualified commuter on our property, meet Jeff. Not only has he been on every line, but he can spell all the stations as well. See, things are getting better all the time!

by NRECer

Jeff,

Are you REALLY as much of a smug, narcisistic jerk as you appear to be or are you only trying to get someone's goat ?

What is 'internet spelling' ?

You couldn't shine the boots of Clem, Tom or any of the other LIRR guys that show up on this forum. Fact is-you ought to hire one of them to teach you how to be a real railroad man. Cripes.

What college did you graduate from-Whatsamatta U ?

Go back to your playpen and suck your thumb.

Bud