• Heads Up: Run Through Power On CSX Rochester Subdivision

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by lvrr325

CSX is knocking down the old NYC brick structures that housed early era electronics (think room-sized PC type equipment, by the look of what I saw in the Wayneport one)?
  by sd80mac

lvrr325 wrote:CSX is knocking down the old NYC brick structures that housed early era electronics (think room-sized PC type equipment, by the look of what I saw in the Wayneport one)?
the one at Wayneport was torn down before CSX, if I remember right. I dont think it's room sized. It's the same as the one at Chili Jct. I went into Chili bldg in 95 or so. I think it was 2 room or 3. I cant remember. I didnt go any further past the door It was real mess and had 2 mattresses in there for the obviously reason... I recall that there is another bldg right next to this one. I am not sure what it is and was not accessible..

Have CSX torn down the one at Chili Jct yet?
  by lvrr325

There's been one at CP 296, only one close I know of. They're relatively large, perhaps 25x20, and the one in Wayneport had a room with racks and things and the remains of early computer equipment. In 1961 something with the capability of an early PC would fill a room that size.
  by ScotCP356

charlie6017 wrote:Wow.....nice shots, especially with this IC unit! Thanks for sharing. :-D

Charlie
Thanks Charlie! The shot of IC unit came out great! Train came about 5 minutes after the thunderstorm rolled through! Boy I was lucky!

BR&P wrote:Nice pic!

(But...... :wink: ) I was "taught" you need some local landmark to show the uniqueness of the power being foreign. What you have there could be going through Illinois any given day, just another CN train. It USED to be you could include some old depot in the pic, but so many of them have vanished it's not much of an option. And the old NYC signal bridges are no longer available as a prop. Maybe the perspective off some well-known bridge, or passing a trackside bar?

No put-down intended, just trying to help you get a "wow!" pic as often as possible.
Yes, I understand but when try to catch a "first" like the Illinois Central SD70 in the lead, you really not thinking about a spot with a local landmark, more like trying to get a good shot of it or wondering where the hell the train even is! I understand what you are trying to say, but if this was back in 2012 or 2010, then you would've seen the NYC signals! But them days are all but gone. At least the picture looks good! Lol!
sd80mac wrote:
BR&P wrote:Nice pic!

(But...... :wink: ) I was "taught" you need some local landmark to show the uniqueness of the power being foreign. What you have there could be going through Illinois any given day, just another CN train. It USED to be you could include some old depot in the pic, but so many of them have vanished it's not much of an option. And the old NYC signal bridges are no longer available as a prop. Maybe the perspective off some well-known bridge, or passing a trackside bar?

No put-down intended, just trying to help you get a "wow!" pic as often as possible.

Right- If it was in 1995, the picture would had included wayside signals which is about 1/4 mile down and a signal building, similar to jct chili building (not sure what these building are for). As well as wide open space that we could see the train all the way down, about a mile and half, where it veers to south and out of view. Both of them are gone and the entire open space is replaced by new trees and tall vegetation... Sad...

i dont know how CR had kept vegetation down on this wide space from CP 359 all the way to about MP 354. Unless CR mowed everything down just before I came back into railfanning in 1994

Scott... you could cross the road and go about 30-40 feet down the dirt road and take pic. that would include new signal mast and grade crossing in the picture.
You know, I never thought of that, but during the summer days, CSX trucks use that path to get down around the bend. I generally stay east of the crossing, going either a little bit to the east to catch the westbound trains or go right up to the road and catch the eastbound trains, either way it works! :)
  by ScotCP356

Just another day with a BNSF H2 leading, although I do enjoy listening to air chime horns that these BNSF Dash 9's carry! I believe they are the Nathan's K3LA's.
  by Matt Langworthy

sd80mac wrote:
lvrr325 wrote:CSX is knocking down the old NYC brick structures that housed early era electronics (think room-sized PC type equipment, by the look of what I saw in the Wayneport one)?
the one at Wayneport was torn down before CSX, if I remember right. I dont think it's room sized. It's the same as the one at Chili Jct. I went into Chili bldg in 95 or so. I think it was 2 room or 3. I cant remember. I didnt go any further past the door It was real mess and had 2 mattresses in there for the obviously reason... I recall that there is another bldg right next to this one. I am not sure what it is and was not accessible..

Have CSX torn down the one at Chili Jct yet?
The little brick structure still stands at Chili Jct.
  by MP366

ScotCP356 wrote:Just another day with a BNSF H2 leading, although I do enjoy listening to air chime horns that these BNSF Dash 9's carry! I believe they are the Nathan's K3LA's.
Here's one for ScotCP356 for all the "heads up" posts:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/duncanric ... 286443754/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not the greatest photography, but I was still learning my Minolta SRT101 at the time! :-)
  by ScotCP356

MP366 wrote:
ScotCP356 wrote:Just another day with a BNSF H2 leading, although I do enjoy listening to air chime horns that these BNSF Dash 9's carry! I believe they are the Nathan's K3LA's.
Here's one for ScotCP356 for all the "heads up" posts:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/duncanric ... 286443754/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not the greatest photography, but I was still learning my Minolta SRT101 at the time! :-)
My jaw just literally drop! If I'm right that block where the signal bridge is sitting on is where I sit on! Wow!! I wish I was there at Wayneport!! Thanks for sharing!!! :D
  by ScotCP356

On June 22nd 2015, I made a quick trip to the tracks to see what I can get before going home to celebrate my 20th birthday! CSX sends a Q263 my way with UP 5032 & UP 7740! It is the second time that I catch a pair of UP's on Q263. Most of the time, Q263 has CSX GEVO's doing the work, but on this day UP was at the helm! Right before the train reach Wayneport Road, NF dispatcher reminded Q263 that they are going to work Rochester's Goodman St. Yard. On the train, there were salt hoppers for the Rochester & Southern, Trash containers for Waste Management in Macedon NY and other cars that probably going be set out in Rochester. But all in all it was a good outing! But was very warm with the sun shining!

-Scott
  by charlie6017

Happy belated birthday! :-D

Sounds like it was a great day to be trackside. Been a while since I have been out that way. How long has the spur at
Waste Management been in use?

Thanks,
Charlie
  by Matt Langworthy

The NS Lackawanna unit is leading CSX K038 today. The most recent spot for #1074 was in New London, OH... so I'm guessing she'll get to the Rochester area late this afternoon or tonight.
  by ScotCP356

It's in Buffalo right now, tied down. Unknown if the train will leave today or not.

-Scott
  by Matt Langworthy

The Lackawanna unit is on the move eastward- CSX K038 was spotted near Batavia almost an hour ago.
  by ScotCP356

HEADS UP! K634 in Buffalo with amazing lash up! CP SD40-2 5908, DME SD40-2 6083 & NS SD60 6686, pulled into Frontier Yard this morning at 0720 hours. No crew called for it.

-Scott