• HEADS UP: Heritage Units on CSX

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by ScotCP356

The VGN is racing through Ohio today, and should be in Buffalo New York tonight. Second of Two engines. Don't know on the train symbol but it most likely be a K04X-XX. I will found out later today about the symbol.

-Scott
  by ScotCP356

Per Heritage Units website, NS 1073 (PC) is the DPU for U-TNDCXP0-23T, last seen was in Minnesota.

Per Heritage Units website, UP 2002 is heading back east leading. Don't know what train it's on. Last spotted in Deshler Ohio about a hour or so ago.

-Scott
  by Mike Stellpflug

UP 2002 is on Q-016. I'm not sure where that goes.

PC 1073 is facing West, and will not lead even if it is moved up front.
  by ScotCP356

Mike Stellpflug wrote:UP 2002 is on Q-016. I'm not sure where that goes.

PC 1073 is facing West, and will not lead even if it is moved up front.
UP2002, will be going to PA. So you can take it off the list. There is a 50/50 chance of the 1073 coming to NY.
  by judgesmails

Per heritageunits.com, the Virginian unit is finally leaving the Buffalo yard (heading east) at roughly 4:30 on Tuesday 4/22.
  by ScotCP356

PER TO: NS 1073 "PC" heritage is on the CSX and coming into Buffalo NY. On a oil train K010-29, this took me by surprise. I heard it was on a oil train but didn't realize it was on the CSX. So sorry about the late post about it.

Here is the power for the K010-29, CSX C40-8W 7794, NS SD70ACe 1073.

Yes I know it's pretty boring lash up. Lol! ;-)

- Scott
  by BR&P

ScotCP356 wrote:Here is the power for the K010-29, CSX C40-8W 7794, NS SD70ACe 1073. Yes I know it's pretty boring lash up. Lol! ;-)
- Scott
Gee, Scott, think of how bad it used to be back in the 70's. No nice CSX unit ahead, just those plain black PC units on almost every train. And no nice big widecabs either, just worn-out old GP35's, F7's, and assorted old Alcos. Heritage units? Yup, those would have been the occasional NYC or PRR unit that missed a repaint, or more likely where the PC paint had worn off and you could see the NEW YORK CENTRAL beneath it. No Southern units, no Interstate. If you wanted LV or Erie Lackawanna, you had to drive all the way out to Victor or maybe Warsaw, unless you would accept the measly LV switcher or EL Geep 7 in downtown Rochester.

Hope you're not TOO bored at the plain black PC unit! :wink:
  by ScotCP356

BR&P wrote:
ScotCP356 wrote:Here is the power for the K010-29, CSX C40-8W 7794, NS SD70ACe 1073. Yes I know it's pretty boring lash up. Lol! ;-)
- Scott
Gee, Scott, think of how bad it used to be back in the 70's. No nice CSX unit ahead, just those plain black PC units on almost every train. And no nice big widecabs either, just worn-out old GP35's, F7's, and assorted old Alcos. Heritage units? Yup, those would have been the occasional NYC or PRR unit that missed a repaint, or more likely where the PC paint had worn off and you could see the NEW YORK CENTRAL beneath it. No Southern units, no Interstate. If you wanted LV or Erie Lackawanna, you had to drive all the way out to Victor or maybe Warsaw, unless you would accept the measly LV switcher or EL Geep 7 in downtown Rochester.

BR&P, I have already seen this heritage already, it's nice that it came back to visit the CSX line. Lol!!

-Scott
  by sd80mac

BR&P wrote:Gee, Scott, think of how bad it used to be back in the 70's. No nice CSX unit ahead, just those plain black PC units on almost every train. And no nice big widecabs either, just worn-out old GP35's, F7's, and assorted old Alcos. Heritage units? Yup, those would have been the occasional NYC or PRR unit that missed a repaint, or more likely where the PC paint had worn off and you could see the NEW YORK CENTRAL beneath it. No Southern units, no Interstate. If you wanted LV or Erie Lackawanna, you had to drive all the way out to Victor or maybe Warsaw, unless you would accept the measly LV switcher or EL Geep 7 in downtown Rochester.

hahaha!

I remember that when I was young...Whenever my grandpa take me to Fayette yard in Syracuse to see EL in action. I do see PC sat in EL's yard or went by the yard. I hated these BLACK alco and geeps.. I told grandpa, they dont belong in here!
After 76' pc was more frequently in there but weird is that I dont see other RR powers... When we are getting ready to go on a loco for a ride in yard or go on local train or transfer, as we head out and walking to set of powers, I see PC in there. I told grandpa that I dont want go on this one! Grandpa said go on it or go home. Obviously u know, I had no choice. I recall once that crew changed the powers once to use EL powers for me. keep in mind that I was not even 10 yr old... :wink: :P ... man.... I loved the old days... wish i was born few years earlier...
  by BR&P

IMHO they missed the number on that PC unit by 3. There used to be a bar right near the Goodman Street yard at 1076 East Main St, name of the bar was the 1076. That was probably more NYC time but I think it was still there in PC days. Since a fair amount of railroad wages wound up there, it would have been quite fitting if either the NYC or PC unit had been so numbered! :P
  by MP366

BR&P wrote:IMHO they missed the number on that PC unit by 3. There used to be a bar right near the Goodman Street yard at 1076 East Main St, name of the bar was the 1076. That was probably more NYC time but I think it was still there in PC days. Since a fair amount of railroad wages wound up there, it would have been quite fitting if either the NYC or PC unit had been so numbered! :P
Glad you went for the 1076 and not the Bachelor's Forum..... :wink:
  by BR&P

Actually when I started, that place was a diner, I believe it was named Salvi's. Ate there numerous times. Then it became a bar named the Bachelor's Forum, and I never made a stop there. :wink:

Interesting that despite having FAR more Class I railroads back then, there was little pooling of power. CB&Q units came through Rochester, and in later years B&M Geeps on the Ubangi coal trains, but anything else was almost unheard of. Of course an hour's drive to Buffalo would find NYC, PRR, E-L (with occasional unrepainted "heritage" units of DL&W and Erie), NKP, Wabash, B&O, LV, CN and TH&B. But I guess back then there was not enough "heritage" to repaint INTO. Anything much older had been steam engines.
  by Matt Langworthy

ScotCP356 wrote:PER TO: NS 1073 "PC" heritage is on the CSX and coming into Buffalo NY. On a oil train K010-29, this took me by surprise. I heard it was on a oil train but didn't realize it was on the CSX. So sorry about the late post about it.

Here is the power for the K010-29, CSX C40-8W 7794, NS SD70ACe 1073.
Does anybody know where the PC unit is now? The last report from HU placed #1073 in Erie, PA about 10 hours ago.
  by sd80mac

BR&P wrote: E-L (with occasional unrepainted "heritage" units of DL&W and Erie

Apparently BNSF is today's EL, eh? LOL It seems that BNSF's only one who are not in big hurry to repaint all of the previous scheme, unlike CSX and NS who went crazy to wipe out all of CR paintin short time. UP is similar but UP have thousands of locomotives that takes time to cycle all of these locomotives. However there's not many left of whatever oddballs UP have..
  by scottychaos

sd80mac wrote:
BR&P wrote: E-L (with occasional unrepainted "heritage" units of DL&W and Erie

Apparently BNSF is today's EL, eh? LOL It seems that BNSF's only one who are not in big hurry to repaint all of the previous scheme, unlike CSX and NS who went crazy to wipe out all of CR paintin short time.
I guess..if you consider 12 years to be "a short time" ;) (for NS)
Conrail did it faster..there was no CR predecessor paint operating by 1985, Nine years later..
Scot