Railroad Forums 

• HEADS UP: Heritage Units on CSX

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1267854  by Matt Langworthy

The PC unit led K011 through Chili Jct (Riga, NY) shortly before 8 this evening. Number 1073 should be in Buffalo soon, maybe even now.
 #1267952  by sd80mac

scottychaos wrote:I guess..if you consider 12 years to be "a short time" ;) (for NS)
Conrail did it faster..there was no CR predecessor paint operating by 1985, Nine years later..
Scot

I dont think so. one switcher from Erie with a bunch of Erie guys saved and hide it.. uhh i think somewhere in NJ across from NYC. I think it is #531.

whenever bigwigs comes into town, they hide them inside a building. So bigwigs wont order that one to sent to paint booth if they saw it.

I think that it finally got CR coat when it was send to shop for overhaul.

Well BRP was speaking of the "heritage" units in EL.. not CR... As I mentioned about #531... It escaped EL and CR paint for more than 25 years, from 1960 of the Erie and Lackawanna merger.. :P

I dont know how long this Erie painted #531 lasted... I read the article about this #531(? nbr unsure??) couple years ago... I cant remember when it finally got CR coat. I hope that I remember it right.
 #1268020  by lvrr325

A unit was restored to Erie colors that went to NJ Transit at some point. The last Erie painted unit, EL 520, was retired in 1974.

However, per Railpace when CP Rail leased Conrail GP35s in 1992 or so for a power shortage, one of the units pulled out of storage and sent out was still in EL paint. Most of those units were in and out of storage as needed until Conrail dumped all remaining 567 power in 1994.

LV 112 was sold just before Conrail and never repainted, when found and returned to the northeast it was in circa-1970 LV tuscan red paint.
 #1268099  by sd80mac

lvrr325 wrote:A unit was restored to Erie colors that went to NJ Transit at some point. The last Erie painted unit, EL 520, was retired in 1974.

However, per Railpace when CP Rail leased Conrail GP35s in 1992 or so for a power shortage, one of the units pulled out of storage and sent out was still in EL paint. Most of those units were in and out of storage as needed until Conrail dumped all remaining 567 power in 1994.

LV 112 was sold just before Conrail and never repainted, when found and returned to the northeast it was in circa-1970 LV tuscan red paint.
Oh crap! that's when I started to go back into railfanning ... in 1994..

I read the article, I believe, in Diamond Issue from ELHS So that means about 15-20 years ago. However when I joined ELHS, I ordered all of these Diamond issues. so I dont know which one it was in. I am pretty sure that's where the article came from. It did included the picture of Erie switcher with the crews and switcher was barely outside or outside of the shed where it has been hiding from bigwigs...
 #1271711  by ScotCP356

Not really a heritage but.... Per Heritage Units Website: DME 6359 the "Mount Rushmore" unit is on K634 behind the CP ECO, with a DME SD40-2 as a third unit. Was reported in Nappanee Indiana @ 15:10 hours. This unit has a picture of Mt. Rushmore on the side of it. Hopefully it will be in Buffalo NY by overnight.

- Scott
 #1271913  by ScotCP356

ScotCP356 wrote:Not really a heritage but.... Per Heritage Units Website: DME 6359 the "Mount Rushmore" unit is on K634 behind the CP ECO, with a DME SD40-2 as a third unit. Was reported in Nappanee Indiana @ 15:10 hours. This unit has a picture of Mt. Rushmore on the side of it. Hopefully it will be in Buffalo NY by overnight.

- Scott

CSX K634 is in Buffalo, NY with the CP SD30C-ECO #5003, DME SD40-2 #6359 (Mt. Rushmore unit) and DME SD40-2. The train came in today at 11 this morning per one of my sources, it's most likely tied down as of now.

-Scott
 #1271999  by NS59

Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully it will not leave until Fri afternoon. If you here anymore let us know!

Dave
 #1280404  by ScotCP356

Just a FYI, this morning, Heritage Units website is saying that UP #1996 "Southern Pacific" heritage is leading a eastbound train... Notes are indicating that it's a reefer train... Probably the Salad Bowl Express train that runs through here in NYS on the CSX line... I will be seeing if this train does reach to the CSX yard in Chicago and points east... I'll update when I can!!!

-Scott
 #1280512  by ScotCP356

UP 1996 is on ZDLSKP-02 to CSX Bedford Park Illinois.... This will be Q/L090, should be in this evening. The latest location was Clinton Iowa at 11:15 AM. UP 1996 is the leader of the train.

- Scott
 #1280610  by sd80mac

SP heritage is making it's first trip to Selkirk (that's if I missed it's first trip earlier) and third of UP"s heritage fleet to visit NY - CNW and Screaming eagle had make pair of trips to Selkirk in past.

It is in Portage, In at 715 am +/- Still long way to go and to make things worse, Collinwood is having their signal cutover today at 8 am. It's going to be one VERY LATE E-coli express... I guess that it's going to competitve with Lateforsure 48...
 #1280613  by ScotCP356

sd80mac wrote:SP heritage is making it's first trip to Selkirk (that's if I missed it's first trip earlier) and third of UP"s heritage fleet to visit NY - CNW and Screaming eagle had make pair of trips to Selkirk in past.

It is in Portage, In at 715 am +/- Still long way to go and to make things worse, Collinwood is having their signal cutover today at 8 am. It's going to be one VERY LATE E-coli express... I guess that it's going to competitve with Lateforsure 48...

Most likely it will come tonight, if nothing goes wrong for this train!! The cutover will be problem but I think shouldn't be a issue since the train is a long ways a way. But it's Monday and traffic on the line should be kinda light so we will have to see where and when it gets to the Garret Indiana, Willard Ohio, Cleveland Ohio & Erie Pa. I think should be into Buffalo, NY around 8:30 or 9pm tonight if things go well.... This train is a high priority train and might just make it eastern Ohio this evening!!

- Scott