Railroad Forums 

• HEADS UP: Heritage Units on CSX

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1280621  by ScotCP356

ScotCP356 wrote:
sd80mac wrote:SP heritage is making it's first trip to Selkirk (that's if I missed it's first trip earlier) and third of UP"s heritage fleet to visit NY - CNW and Screaming eagle had make pair of trips to Selkirk in past.

It is in Portage, In at 715 am +/- Still long way to go and to make things worse, Collinwood is having their signal cutover today at 8 am. It's going to be one VERY LATE E-coli express... I guess that it's going to competitve with Lateforsure 48...

Most likely it will come tonight, if nothing goes wrong for this train!! The cutover will be problem but I think shouldn't be a issue since the train is a long ways a way. But it's Monday and traffic on the line should be kinda light so we will have to see where and when it gets to the Garret Indiana, Willard Ohio, Cleveland Ohio & Erie Pa. I think should be into Buffalo, NY around 8:30 or 9pm tonight if things go well.... This train is a high priority train and might just make it eastern Ohio this evening!!

- Scott

Crew on duty in Garret IN, 0930 this morning... per TO.
 #1280622  by sd80mac

ScotCP356 wrote:Most likely it will come tonight, if nothing goes wrong for this train!! The cutover will be problem but I think shouldn't be a issue since the train is a long ways a way. But it's Monday and traffic on the line should be kinda light so we will have to see where and when it gets to the Garret Indiana, Willard Ohio, Cleveland Ohio & Erie Pa. I think should be into Buffalo, NY around 8:30 or 9pm tonight if things go well.... This train is a high priority train and might just make it eastern Ohio this evening!!
- Scott

We all know this is high priorty, hence "E-coli express" "salad express' and whatever other nicknames it got. and we all know that it has to be at rottendam by monday morning (10 am?) and it needs to leave Rottensdam by Tuesday afternoon. ALL 3 E-coli express trains have tight schedule with very little leeways - 7 days cycle and that is how long it takes from west coast to east coast and back...

Dont forget that CSX is having its own mess on top of that. Shortage crew and trains sitting all over places. That what I was told.. I hope that they have crewy ready for fly by exhcange in Buffalo...
 #1280626  by ScotCP356

sd80mac wrote:
ScotCP356 wrote:Most likely it will come tonight, if nothing goes wrong for this train!! The cutover will be problem but I think shouldn't be a issue since the train is a long ways a way. But it's Monday and traffic on the line should be kinda light so we will have to see where and when it gets to the Garret Indiana, Willard Ohio, Cleveland Ohio & Erie Pa. I think should be into Buffalo, NY around 8:30 or 9pm tonight if things go well.... This train is a high priority train and might just make it eastern Ohio this evening!!
- Scott

We all know this is high priorty, hence "E-coli express" "salad express' and whatever other nicknames it got. and we all know that it has to be at rottendam by monday morning (10 am?) and it needs to leave Rottensdam by Tuesday afternoon. ALL 3 E-coli express trains have tight schedule with very little leeways - 7 days cycle and that is how long it takes from west coast to east coast and back...

Dont forget that CSX is having its own mess on top of that. Shortage crew and trains sitting all over places. That what I was told.. I hope that they have crewy ready for fly by exhcange in Buffalo...
Yeah I know about the shortage of crews.. but would you think they will actually have Q090-06 sit in a yard??

-Scott
 #1280653  by sd80mac

ScotCP356 wrote:Yeah I know about the shortage of crews.. but would you think they will actually have Q090-06 sit in a yard??

-Scott

lets hope that they have someone sitting in the crew lockerroom waiting for Q090.. Again... every actions being done out at trackside are done by Railroad Gods... I am well pepared to expect the unexpected... u aren't.. I go by the worse case... and often that best thing will come... not by the best case, otherwise, you would get screwed by RR gods.. I'm wearing "Be calm..." shirt :P
 #1280657  by ScotCP356

sd80mac wrote:
ScotCP356 wrote:Yeah I know about the shortage of crews.. but would you think they will actually have Q090-06 sit in a yard??

-Scott

lets hope that they have someone sitting in the crew lockerroom waiting for Q090.. Again... every actions being done out at trackside are done by Railroad Gods... I am well pepared to expect the unexpected... u aren't.. I go by the worse case... and often that best thing will come... not by the best case, otherwise, you would get screwed by RR gods.. I'm wearing "Be calm..." shirt :P
hahahaha!! I always go with worse case... besides 090 is now in Ohio just got to get a crew in Willard and Cleveland and hope and pray that CSX has a crew waiting... I'm thinking this train will be running after sunset.... But who knows!!

- Scott
 #1280678  by sd80mac

passing Fostoria Oh. less than 10 min ago...

Still long way to go... about An hour to Willard, then about 1 hr and half to Berea. Another hour to Collinwood which it will be getting fuel, service, and 1,000 inspection, AS USUALLY as in past... If getting serviced, give them 30-45 minutes for 1,000 miles inpseciton. If just fuel - maybe 15 minutes.

These times are based on having highballin' signals...

give or take 4-5 hours from Collinwood to Buffalo... about 1 hour and half to Rochester..

I would say beyond midnight passing through here. That's if all goes smooth and see hundreds of green lights in front of them.
 #1280684  by ScotCP356

sd80mac wrote:passing Fostoria Oh. less than 10 min ago...

Still long way to go... about An hour to Willard, then about 1 hr and half to Berea. Another hour to Collinwood which it will be getting fuel, service, and 1,000 inspection, AS USUALLY as in past... If getting serviced, give them 30-45 minutes for 1,000 miles inpseciton. If just fuel - maybe 15 minutes.

These times are based on having highballin' signals...

give or take 4-5 hours from Collinwood to Buffalo... about 1 hour and half to Rochester..

I would say beyond midnight passing through here. That's if all goes smooth and see hundreds of green lights in front of them.

Well that does it! I'm waiting for Q091 then! I'm not staying up to midnight to watch a heritage goes by!! I'll wait for it on Q091!

-Scott
 #1280798  by ScotCP356

Well Q090-06 with the Union Pacific Heritage #1996 went through between 3-4 in the morning in the Rochester Area..... I think most of us missed it but we got another chance... Soon the train should hit Rotterdam and began the 12-18 hour process then we wait and see... It should leave Wednesday afternoon making it here before or around midnight.. with UP 5022 in charge of the westbound empties... again we just have to wait and see what happens and we it leaves..

-Scott
 #1280827  by BR&P

ScotCP356 wrote:Well that does it! I'm waiting for Q091 then! I'm not staying up to midnight to watch a heritage goes by!! I'll wait for it on Q091!

-Scott
Gee, Scott, I'm surprised! I had you pegged as someone who would set the alarm for 0-dark-30 no matter WHAT the time (or weather) to see a heritage unit go by! What ELSE ya gonna do at midnight, anyway? :wink:
 #1280836  by ScotCP356

BR&P wrote:
ScotCP356 wrote:Well that does it! I'm waiting for Q091 then! I'm not staying up to midnight to watch a heritage goes by!! I'll wait for it on Q091!

-Scott
Gee, Scott, I'm surprised! I had you pegged as someone who would set the alarm for 0-dark-30 no matter WHAT the time (or weather) to see a heritage unit go by! What ELSE ya gonna do at midnight, anyway? :wink:
Hahaha no BR&P I'm not a midnight person to be honest like I use to be... but you never I might try that once or twice... if it's a good heritage and if it's the one I haven't seen before. Lol.
 #1282354  by ScotCP356

Sad to say but UP is going to be kind to us again.... UP ZDLSKP (the produce express reefer train) from California to Selkirk, NY will have the UP 1995 "Chicago & Northwestern" heritage! Yes I understand this is the 3rd time it will come... 2nd time on the reefer train.. But hopefully it will run in daylight here in Western New York... I am getting sick and tired of missing these heritages because they ran in the middle of the night heading eastbound or westbound.... Hopefully they will just leave Bedford Park on time!!! I don't know if the heritage is leading or not... but we should find out soon.

What about UP1996? no clue last information I got that it was spotted in western Nebraska trailing on ZSKDLP train (Empty Reefer train) and that was about 3 or maybe even 4 days ago! So I'm thinking the heritage has been cut off. I know most of us guys who watches trains here in WNY missed the heritage as Q091 ran in the middle of the night with the heritage... Hopefully it will make a return trip to New York some point in the future.

- Scott
 #1283772  by MP366

Wow...the UP C&NW Heritage unit makes a round trip through western NY and not so much as a mention on this thread....we all must be getting jaded.... i know, I know it was trailing. we are getting spoiled.... :-)
 #1283816  by ScotCP356

MP366 wrote:Wow...the UP C&NW Heritage unit makes a round trip through western NY and not so much as a mention on this thread....we all must be getting jaded.... i know, I know it was trailing. we are getting spoiled.... :-)

Well, let me say this..... it seems the Union Pacific heritages doesn't like us at all... they either come early in the morning or very late at night through Rochester, NY. And sometimes they lead and the other times they trail... 12 times a UP heritage came through Rochester (both heading east & west): 6 for C&NW (3 round trips), 4 for MoPac (2 round trips), 2 for SP (1 round trip). But you never know maybe CSX and UP can be nice to us railfaners in the Rochester Area and send the heritage and it's train in the late morning to early afternoon, for once! Lol!!

But I would say this... We have a better time catching NS heritages over a UP heritages... Due to the fact that NS heritages were on oil trains... Now if I remember right only once has a NS heritage came through Rochester passed Midnight... and that was the NS 8105, The Interstate heritage... It was leading and I believe it roll through at around 1 or 2 in the morning.... But the other times heritages did come through at night time but before midnight.... other times heritages came in the evening like the NS 8099.... and then there was the other half... coming in the afternoon... So we are more likely could see a NS heritage then UP heritage.... but that doesn't mean it will continue like that.... Never know what CSX has plans for them oil trains or reefer trains or even the mixed freight ... But I will say this, we are lucky to catch these heritages!!!!

NS heritages that came through Rochester NY (6): NS 8100 "Nickel Plate" , NS 8099 "Southern" , NS 8105 "Interstate", NS1073 "Penn Central" , NS1072 "Illinois Terminal" , NS1069 "Virginian".

So with that, they are 2 NS heritages in North Dakota, but I can already say that we won't be seeing the NS 1073, it's on U-TNDNSD0-93T to the NS. But.... the NS 8102 just got into North Dakota so there is a 50% chance of it coming! Let's hope that BNSF will send it our way! I would love to see NS 8102 "Pennsylvania RR" heritage!

With that, have fun railfaners!!

- Scott
 #1283818  by BR&P

Got a Cliff Notes version of all that, Scott? :wink:

Just to make you feel worse, just think - you go about 12 hours west - maybe Ohio somewhere depending on how long it takes to get through Buffalo - and they are almost always coming through there in daylight! You need to consider a move!