• HEADS UP: Heritage Units on CSX

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by UP4141

Do the intermodal trains have priority over the N.S. oil and alcohol trains and are these trains held up on the W.S. waiting to head east? Also, why is there a box car between the engines and the tankers ?
  by lvrr325

Oil is considered hazardous, rules require at least one non-hazardous between engines and hazardous loads. Used to need one on the tail, too, but I guess they've done away with that.

And generally, yes, intermodal and Amtrak have top priority.
  by ScotCP356

That's why I saw three eastbound intermodal trains in a row before the oil train came. ;-)
  by roadster

Generally, this time of the evening, Rochester is getting fairly busy. Usually Q381 has to work Goodman St. Yard, and Q377 is waiting to do their work after Q381 leaves. Amtrak 281, 283, and 49 are also in the mix with several westbound trains like Q123, Q113, Q627, Q393, and such. Usual practice is for the east bounds to run the West Shore and avoid the congestion. They probably got East bound Van/containers (Possibly Q158, Q022, Q010, Q156,) in front of K010 before it departed CP 429 East of Depew. Again usual practice of late. I was on q157. When I saw k010, they were just rolling under the Harlem Rd. bridge, heading out the East Bound runner around 6pm, and Q019 was behind me. That kind of explains the length of time they took to get to Macedon.
  by jr

The K010 was delayed on the west side of Rochester by a W/B in emergency. The conductor had to walk the train before they would let the K010 pass. That delayed him for at least a half hour, possibly longer.

The engines were by Fairport at 8:53, but they were delayed a while longer, by intermodals off of the West Shore. I think they were on the move again by around 9:15.

JR
  by sd80mac

Someone reported that this unit and one of 2 NS units had yellow ribbions around all steps to units

I don't know it its fake report or not. If not, then what happened to these units?
  by dhfan17

Yup, that is true. I visually confirmed it today. Both the heritage unit and NS 1039 have yellow tape on the stairs while NS 9803 does not. They may be in Selkirk for a while unless they are sent back west shut down.
  by sd80mac

dhfan17 wrote:Yup, that is true. I visually confirmed it today. Both the heritage unit and NS 1039 have yellow tape on the stairs while NS 9803 does not. They may be in Selkirk for a while unless they are sent back west shut down.
Thanks for confirmed.. did u see any damages?
  by dhfan17

Didn't look like any external damage. There may be some electrical or engine issues. All 3 units in the power set are tied up together but ex-Con CSX 7386 is coupled to NS 1039 facing east.
  by ScotCP356

Does anyone have pictures of the two ns units having yellow tape blocking the stairs?
  by ScotCP356

Wow so with that, I wonder what went wrong with the 2 SD70Ace's? I saw them May 30th at around 9:25 pm @ MP354 and their 710 engines were singing away as they past my location!!! :-D
  by sd80mac

ScotCP356 wrote:Wow so with that, I wonder what went wrong with the 2 SD70Ace's? I saw them May 30th at around 9:25 pm @ MP354 and their 710 engines were singing away as they past my location!!! :-D
Someone said that they failed inspection... Is it normal that they put yellow ribbion on handrails if they failed inspection?? I can see blue sign on it - someone was working on it.
  by ScotCP356

sd80mac wrote:
ScotCP356 wrote:Wow so with that, I wonder what went wrong with the 2 SD70Ace's? I saw them May 30th at around 9:25 pm @ MP354 and their 710 engines were singing away as they past my location!!! :-D
Someone said that they failed inspection... Is it normal that they put yellow ribbion on handrails if they failed inspection?? I can see blue sign on it - someone was working on it.
How long will they have them there?