Railroad Forums 

• Grand Central Hoaxes (GCT baggage car on the Today Show)

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#536928  by bingdude

Why don't one of us make a Youtube video about how this is a bunch of crap?

Fight fire with fire.

#536940  by CarterB

Why not just email Dan Brucker at Metro North?

[email protected]

Be polite, but factual!!!

#536943  by DutchRailnut

I did but he did not honor me with a responce.

#536951  by CarterB

Any chance that Fox News (often critical of NBC) might 'jump on this' as a 'human interest story' ??? "The FDR-MetroNorth Myth!!" Anyone know anybody over at either Channel 5 or FoxNewsChannel?

#536996  by Otto Vondrak

Someone call up Dan, he's very nice, and usually answers his phone. See what he says.

Or write a letter to Customer Service.

-otto-
 #537002  by tomjohn

I sent an email to all mentioned in an earlier post ..

"NBC, Discovery Channel, History Channel AND to Mr. Bruckner"!!!

Tom

#537070  by Erie-Lackawanna

There's no "n" in Mr. Brucker's name.

I think we've spent enough time on this. The only people who could give a rat's hairy rump are those who inhabit this forum. Let the rest of the world think they learned something and leave it at that.

Jim

#537093  by 3rdrail

I've heard enough to convince me, but what's the story behind the alledged "bullet-proof glass". Bullet proof glass is considerably different than safety glass, with bullet proof glass being considerably thicker, denser, and hugely more expensive. It's use denotes a security precaution. Does the car actually contain bullet proof glass ? (so called as no glass is 100 % resistant) Might this car have been reserved for presidential supplies and provisions, as opposed to passenger occupancy ? Perhaps it's spotting underneath the Waldorf-Astoria may have been a convenient loading area for these supplies ?

#537099  by DutchRailnut

There is no bullet proof glass the car has standard tempered glass in doors about 1/3 to 1/2 " thick, no markings in glass.
The doors are actually wood with a sheet metal covering below windows.
The car did not even reside in GCT before 1985, it came from elsewhere.
The predesesor sling car was wood and had to be removed by order of NYFD after big coach fire, so a new sling car was produced.

#537234  by DutchRailnut

The DRM was asked twice if they wanted the car, but MNCR did not follow up , The Museum told them they would love to have it.

#537645  by Terrapin Station

Erie-Lackawanna wrote:I think we've spent enough time on this. The only people who could give a rat's hairy rump are those who inhabit this forum. Let the rest of the world think they learned something and leave it at that.

Jim
I disagree. I think the general public would be interested to know that they are seemingly being outright lied to by MNCR and the media.

#537652  by Otto Vondrak

Erie-Lackawanna wrote:There's no "n" in Mr. Brucker's name.

I think we've spent enough time on this. The only people who could give a rat's hairy rump are those who inhabit this forum. Let the rest of the world think they learned something and leave it at that.

Jim
Personally, I think Jim's in on the rouse. I hear the baggage car plays a cental role in the upcoming Indiana Jones movie.

-otto-

#537681  by Erie-Lackawanna

Terrapin Station wrote:I disagree. I think the general public would be interested to know that they are seemingly being outright lied to by MNCR and the media.
So get on your soapbox and tell them. See how many stop to listen.

Really, with all the lying and covering up the press has done about things that actually matter (like Iraq, to name just one), do you really think that letting this cat out of the bag (which is a mis-statement, actually - nobody's trying to keep it under wraps) is going to push the nation over the edge and demand change for once?

This is insignificant. Take all that energy and indignation and direct it towards something that will help humanity - or at least yourself - in a concrete way.

Jim

#537698  by 3rdrail

Erie-Lackawanna wrote:
Terrapin Station wrote:I disagree. I think the general public would be interested to know that they are seemingly being outright lied to by MNCR and the media.
So get on your soapbox and tell them. See how many stop to listen.

Really, with all the lying and covering up the press has done about things that actually matter (like Iraq, to name just one), do you really think that letting this cat out of the bag (which is a mis-statement, actually - nobody's trying to keep it under wraps) is going to push the nation over the edge and demand change for once?

This is insignificant. Take all that energy and indignation and direct it towards something that will help humanity - or at least yourself - in a concrete way.

Jim
Amen. Well put ! (Put another way - "Pick your battles.")

Otto - was that a joke or does the car actually have a role in the movie ?