Railroad Forums 

• GP38-2's Be seeing you soon!

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#241732  by Tadman

I didn't see his other post in the other thread - If he really works for NRE, he's the janitor or I'm David Laney.

#241740  by DutchRailnut

Even if he works for NRE they can't all be as smart as railfans ??

#242204  by GOLDEN-ARM

"I" am selling NEW Alco AF-27's (C-628's), to an un-named class one, details still in the works. They will be delivered in the "Snowbird" scheme, with delivery being made this December, by Santa, himself!!!!! :P

#243094  by GN 599

As long as they are naturally aspirated I am all for em'! Finally a new locomotive that wont go straight to haulin Powder river coal. Out west we miss alot of new power. I hope the rumors are true, we really need the power.

#243399  by GOLDEN-ARM

"rebuilt" is NOT "new". Anyone can rebuild locos. (talking rebuilders here, not Aunt Martha) This guy said he was building NEW locos. Specifically, NEW GP-38's. Dash-Two's. Even though there is better technology now, they are doing a Dash-2. IF you believe that. I wanna see that happen.............. :P

#243428  by DutchRailnut

If we have to filter things on semantics and discredit every one who is wrong once in a while we would have nobody left here.

#243436  by pablo

I don't think it's a battle of semantics. I think someone went a bit goofy 'fanning for a company, and we all jumped on him/her because they didn't quite know what they were talking about.

Dave Becker

#243611  by crazy_nip

DutchRailnut wrote:If we have to filter things on semantics and discredit every one who is wrong once in a while we would have nobody left here.
no semantics about it, they are not new

no if's and's or but's

#243617  by DutchRailnut

The green goats are deemed new but frame and trucks are recycled and rebuilt.

#244049  by scottychaos

Aji-tater wrote:If you're going to start rumors, why do it with something as mundane as a GP38? Why not say you're rebuilding some F7's, or better yet, a small fleet of BL2's! That would really get us all going. Anybody with good Photoshop talent, how would a BNSF BL2 look? Or maybe CSX.
Its a bit crude, but you get the rough idea! :wink:

Scot

#245095  by GN 599

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:"rebuilt" is NOT "new". Anyone can rebuild locos. (talking rebuilders here, not Aunt Martha) This guy said he was building NEW locos. Specifically, NEW GP-38's. Dash-Two's. Even though there is better technology now, they are doing a Dash-2. IF you believe that. I wanna see that happen.............. :P

Oh yeah ''rebuilt'' my bad. I wonder what the designation would be if this "new'' GP were built. I see enough NREX units and as long as they run I dont care what they are. :-D

#245150  by *istDS

I think the term 'rebuilt' is meaningless.

There was an engineering manager of a large contract loco shop who used to publish an annual summary of the firms' output .
He is used the following terms to denote the scope of work:

overhauled-which implied restoring the loco to OEM specs. per the mfrs. instruction book.
remanufactured in kind-restoring the entire loco to like new-condition which involves stripping the unit to the frame, a thorough cleaning and prep-and re-assembly. This implies complete renewal of control wiring and HV cabling with minimal changes in system design.The major components were restored to OEM specs.
remanufactured new-the same as remanufactured, with significant upgrades to components/systems.
wreck repairs-obvious

This shop developed a technique to convert 20-645 engines by removing 2 banks of cylinders from a 20 cylinder block. They also were able to source an upgraded 16-645F block from abroad and assemble a new 'EMD-style' engine from component parts.

The same shop, under different ownership, now builds new locomotives.

#245541  by prt1607j

Alright Folks.. Looks to me here that this one has gone on long enough... Let him pull him self up by his boot straps..

Anyway.. The horse is dead and I'm stopping the beating

This topic is locked