Railroad Forums 

• Ghost Signal at Geneva Junction, NY

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#620730  by Caseyjim

There is another ghost signal further west on the Valley complete with signal bridge. It is the interlocking signal at Geneva Junction,NY and from last I saw of it, the signals were all intact. Whether they were operable may be another story.
 #620903  by lvrr325

When I saw it in 1991 the signals had no guts and didn't even have the targets that go around the backs of them. Was some pieces on the ground, but they dissapeared before I could help them do so. There was another one further south, again no guts to it.
 #621202  by TB Diamond

The signal bridge at what was Geneva Jct. still stood as of October 2007. The signal apparatus was gone, however.
 #622844  by Lehighton_Man

And its still there.. As we speak about such bridge.. protecting the 'ghost' road freights from the south.
Some signaling apparatus'es were still on the bridge, but the only glimpes i get to see of it, is speeding down rt. 14 at 30mph. I think the property is FGLK owned now.. and with special permission, one might get permission to wander about that area.
Just as a curious thought.
Sean
 #623514  by TB Diamond

Lehighton:

The Lehigh Valley direction of movement was "east" and "west", compass direction notwithstanding. The signal bridge at Geneva Jct. protected eastward movements through the interlocking. Westward movements were protected by a double searchlight signal that stood just west of the Seneca Canal bridge, on the north side of the track, this after the abandonment of both the Ithaca and Seneca branches and after the installation of CTC.
 #624141  by GOLDEN-ARM

I would have thought, that by "definition", a ghost signal meant it was still lighted, for a railroad that either wasn't there, or wasn't run anymore. (ala Lehighton) Derelict signal bridges, empty cases or broken down non-functioning stuff, not the things a ghost signal is made of..........
 #624341  by TB Diamond

The definition of "ghost" as found in the dictionary does not seem to be a fit for any signal.

Then again, it could all be in the perception such as "ghost town".
 #624461  by GOLDEN-ARM

Hence the "quotation" marks on definition. Lot's of RR terms are not in the dictionary, as we know/use them. Derelict/abandoned signals seem more in line. The Lehighton signal was well known, for it's vigil, lighted to stop trains, on a railroad no longer there......... (except for ghost Diamonds, and Apollos, that run there still, today..... :P ) Maybe TAPS could do some EVP's on the signal bridge's, and bring this to conclusion...... :wink:
 #624990  by Lehighton_Man

dj_paige,
if you search geneva, and find the fngerlakes tracks, look for the embankment that the lv rode on. once you find it, follow it south, and you'll see the top view of the bridge.
Sean
 #625354  by dj_paige

Lehighton_Man wrote:dj_paige,
if you search geneva, and find the fngerlakes tracks, look for the embankment that the lv rode on. once you find it, follow it south, and you'll see the top view of the bridge.
Sean
Thanks, I found it.
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1
 #625433  by Kendaia1

As I was following the map from the signal bridge along the mainline ROW into Geneva, I found something corious that I haven't noticed before. About 100 feet or so west of the Exchange St. bridge, along the south side there is some kind of structure built right into the embankment. It contains 12 chambers, no top (or roof). Is this some kind of coal delivery structure or something? Anybody know?

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1
 #625508  by lvrr325

I saw that too when I was exploring a while back. Dunno what it is, but the base of a large coal yard sounds logical.

Did you notice the original interchange lead is a stub track and a new lead onto the LV starts east of the overpass and curves around and through the former mainline embankment?
 #655844  by lvrr325

I bought a car for a buddy a while back a block or so from that and he said that it was a coal dealer complete with rail trestle into it, but that it burned in what was quite a big fire many years ago.