Railroad Forums 

• Ghost Signal at Geneva Junction, NY

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#656118  by TB Diamond

May have been Vogt Coal Co. There was an engine restriction for this firm listed in the LVRR ETT, 1954-1975. Will do further research, but it will take some time.
 #658224  by lvrr325

The old interchange track is the remaining connector up to the old LV, except that it no longer connects into the yard - a new connection branches off east of the former overpass and curves back to meet it, the elevated ROW has been removed for it to pass through. I have no idea why, other than it allows a move onto the LV from the main track rather than through the yard tracks.
 #658276  by Lehighton_Man

I've always wondered where the other half of the LV embankment went.. and came to the conclusion that they carved it out for that connector track. How much of the LV Grade was eliminated when they realigned the track to the existing LV main south (railroad east) to Kendida?
Sean
 #658284  by BR&P

other than it allows a move onto the LV from the main track rather than through the yard tracks.
The Kendaia branch is not accessed directly off the Corning (or Auburn Road) main, the use of a yard track is required.
 #658328  by TB Diamond

lehighton:

The old Lehigh Valley MT embankment was removed between the east abutment of the bridge over the ex-NYC Fall Brook/Auburn lines and just west of the Rts. 5 & 20 bridge L/1980s-E/1990s. Most of the fill removed was utilized for the widening of Rts. 5 & 20 between Geneva and the junction with NYS Rt. 96A.

Edited 07 April: Just went through some of my slides. A few sent to me by a friend and dated 27 August 1988 show that the LVRR elevated r/o/w east of the ex-NYC Fall Brook/Auburn branch bridge had been very recently removed. Signs of work still in progress were at a point about half-way between the bridge and Rts. 5 & 20.
 #658521  by Lehighton_Man

TB, would it be possible to make those slides into a digital copy for us to see? I'd be fascinated to see that, especially since its gotten me curious whenever we drove by there.
Thanks.
 #658657  by TB Diamond

Not at the present moment as I do not own a scanner. However, my old computer crashed and I will be replacing the entire system this spring. Will thereafter have the capacity.

The east abutment of the LVRR bridge over the NYC was removed at the same time as the embankment, BTW.

In addition, the Rts. 5 & 20 project utilized a portion of the old LVRR Geneva yard.
 #659221  by TB Diamond

The Lehigh Valley Railroad Geneva yard was sandwiched between Routes 5 & 20 and the LVRR elevated r/o/w at a point approximately mid-way between GY and the Rts. 5 & 20 bridge. Recall has it that the yard had eight tracks. The leader came off the LVRR MT at Geneva Jct., continued west along the main then went down a ramp to the yard. The lead continued west between the yard and the the embankment to the interchange at GY (near the bridge over the NYC). This lead was actually on the origional alignment of the Geneva & Ithaca Railroad. The yard office was in a small shack at the east switch in the yard. There was, in addition, a house trailer there which contained offices that had been relocated from the Geneva passenger station. An access road lead to these facilities directly off Rts. 5 & 20. A few of my slides that were taken on 26 August 1986 show that the yard tracks had been recently removed and that the little yard office no longer stood. The house trailer was removed shortly after ConRail.
 #659392  by bluegrass-express

Lehighton_Man wrote:I've often heard about the Geneva Yard, but i was never sure where its location was.. Could someone point that out to me?
Thanks.
First on the program at LV night at Tiger Valley was 2 hours of 16mm movies, about 20-30% shot at LV's Geneva yard east to Geneva Junction. One slide I would have shared is this view of the office and yard. Main line is up the embankment to right of photo, Seneca Lake and Rt.5&20 to left (where you see streaks of headlights). As light was fading, I took this time exposure; you can make out shapes of freight cars on the sidings.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1558996
A couple weeks earlier, after attending the Niagara Frontier meeting of NMRA in Geneva, I visited Geneva Junction. About 5 minutes after parking my car, I heard the FGLK blowing for a crossing a mile or two east of the yacht club. Caught them crossing the trestle just east of the "ghost signal" - trestle for Ithaca branch visible just under the train.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1541503
 #661829  by scharnhorst

lvrr325 wrote:When I saw it in 1991 the signals had no guts and didn't even have the targets that go around the backs of them. Was some pieces on the ground, but they disappeared before I could help them do so. There was another one further south, again no guts to it.
The parts were striped a little bit at a time but were all removed before 1995 most were used else where on the Conrail System. I know the signal maintainer who had the job of salvaging parts from Geneva South to the Army Depot. Some parts were still in boxes on Centerport Road and in Lyons up till a few years ago I would assume that they maybe still in storage or have long sents thrown out by now?