Railroad Forums 

• GG-1's in Cooperstown to Henry Ford Museum

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1395878  by rdgrailfan

Trying to find out the status on the two GG-1's that are / were located in Cooperstown, NY. I did a search and found nothing, were they scrapped?
Sorry if asked before but I did make an attempt to search forum and web, nothing recent turned up.
 #1395879  by dj_paige

They are stored on a siding just north of Cooperstown junction, and essentially not visible from the road.

Photos of the move here (you have to request membership in the Delaware and Hudson Railroad group to view these photos):
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DandHRa ... 745580057/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1395907  by Engineer Spike

I have a few friends who are members. They said the move had something to do with the track they were on was leased from D&H. Apparently the lease didn't continue after the line was sold to NS.
 #1395918  by rdgrailfan

Thank you very much for the quick responses, rumors down here are that they were both scrapped on site!
Again Thanks
 #1395971  by dj_paige

Yes, according to Wikipedia, the Ford Museum owns one of these, but there is no way to transport the loco, as I understand neither NS nor CSX will allow it on it's rails.
 #1396005  by SST

What are the reasons why CSX/NS won't allow it on their tracks? Are they in such bad shape they are afraid they'll crumble?
 #1396017  by SemperFidelis

Norfolk Southern allowed 2 GG1s to be moved over thier rails to the URHS's location along the old Boonton Line in Boonton, NJ. One of the two was in very rough shape having sat, untouched, at Whippany Railway Museum since the 1980s.
 #1396028  by Noel Weaver

SST wrote:What are the reasons why CSX/NS won't allow it on their tracks? Are they in such bad shape they are afraid they'll crumble?
I don't think any railroad management in their right minds would allow such relics as these to move on their own wheels for any distance and there is not much within a reasonable distance from Cooperstown Junction. There could likely be structural problems which would not allow their movement even in a special movement. It would be a shop job just to get the air brakes working again. The only possible way they could be moved by rail would be to load them (if it is possible) on a very heavy duty flat car and even then there could be dimension issues for shipment west. I doubt if the wheels are in any kind of shape for a move either. No matter what you are looking at huge dollars to move either one of them out of their present hiding place.
Noel Weaver
 #1396029  by cjvrr

When the deal was first made to me the GG1 the connected track was owned and operated by CP Rail. I seem to remember at that time CSX was saying 'no' as part of the route to the Ford Museum involved them so they sat.

Probably be cheaper to separate the pieces and ship it on multiple cars at this point.
 #1396080  by lvrr325

They're old, but they're roller bearings, although certain older types CSX won't handle either. I certainly think it would be physically up to the move, if with a speed restriction, and without operational brakes.

I mean they moved the CNY Chapter's G just fine when they added the second track at the fairgrounds and it basically had not been touched other than repaints since it went in there in 1982.
 #1396082  by dj_paige

I think if the move would require speed restrictions over hundreds of miles of heavily used segments of track, that's another reason for NS/CSX to not allow the move.
 #1396181  by lvrr325

Railroads do shipments like that all the time, high and wide trains handle them.

I'm actually not sure why CSX would have to touch this, at this point it could be an all-NS move from Cooperstown Jct. to Dearborn. NS and Amtrak share the line that actually runs past the museum.

In fact it could even be routed across say the WNY&P to keep it off the busier ex-NKP route and out of the way for at least part of the trip.
 #1396250  by dj_paige

That's great. I thought they were not visible from the road anymore, but obviously I was wrong. Just not visible from the same road that they were visible from before the move.