• Garwood Industrial Track Equipment Storage

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by ns3010

Anyone have a complete list of what is out there now? From the photos I saw, the line has grown, but I haven't seen any specific information recently.
  by ACeInTheHole

I just discovered that this line of equipment is the next exit down the Parkway from my work. Tomorrow when I pick up my paycheck I will take a trip down and have a look.
  by ACeInTheHole

Took a trip on a whim. The new stuff is whatever was stored at the MMC. Every last one of the FHs save the 4139 and 4140 is there, the 4127 joined the line, and so did the 4218. There was not many opportunities to snag pics and what have you, but yeah. I also didnt walk along side the line as I didnt want to get reported for trespassing. Either the 4111 or 4106 i dont remember which now is smattered with graffiti on the side. The line now basically stretches all the way from Cranford to Garwood.
This link http://www.flickr.com/photos/61051848@N07/10984396194/ is what you see when you look from Cranford.
  by ApproachMedium

Thats a hell of a lot of MU cars and its annoying that such is not in service, but this is what they want.
  by airman00

My question is how can NJT afford to put all this stuff OOS when money is tight in an economy such as this. Remember NJT is a state agency and the State of New Jersey has no money right now.
  by lirr42

airman00 wrote:My question is how can NJT afford to put all this stuff OOS when money is tight in an economy such as this. Remember NJT is a state agency and the State of New Jersey has no money right now.
They can park it there or they can spend even more money fixing it up when they don't need the equipment.
  by Ken W2KB

Just noticed out the window of 5718 enroute to the office that about 11 MUs are now all the way at the east end, almost to the end of cleared track by the former plastics freight customer. These may be the ones referred to earlier, but the east end main string of equipment still was just west of the Cranford station so these may be new arrivals.
  by Backshophoss

It's possible that the Arrows at Garwood are damaged beyond repair needing more than traction motor swapouts, more along the
lines of replacing all the underframe equipment due to flooding damage, the same could be said for the Gp's and F-40's that are
on this lineup of dead equipment,
They all may have been parts donors already at MMC.
  by ACeInTheHole

Backshophoss wrote:It's possible that the Arrows at Garwood are damaged beyond repair needing more than traction motor swapouts, more along the
lines of replacing all the underframe equipment due to flooding damage, the same could be said for the Gp's and F-40's that are
on this lineup of dead equipment,
They all may have been parts donors already at MMC.
I can remember having seen at least a few of those Arrows in service post Sandy.. Also in the case of 4106 at least i remember seeing it post sandy a few times as well. It mustve had a major failure of some kind. Dont know, and we will never know.
  by 25Hz

I would love to know what is really behind each piece of equipment parked there vs speculate.
  by ApproachMedium

From what I heard, from a good source, the arrows destined there are not going back in to service. This however like anything else is subject to change but its part of the cars that would have been removed with the delievery of the MLVII cars
  by 25Hz

ApproachMedium wrote:From what I heard, from a good source, the arrows destined there are not going back in to service. This however like anything else is subject to change but its part of the cars that would have been removed with the delievery of the MLVII cars
That is what i suspected. Are they stripped down, or is that on the fence too?
  by ApproachMedium

I have no idea of that respect but seeing that most of the external components are there then i would assume not.
  by CNJGeep

New Jersey Transit Corporation - Offer to PurchaseSOLICITATION OF OFFERS TO PURCHASE (SOP) NO. AP004251-13The New Jersey Transit Corporation (NJ Transit) is soliciting an offer to purchase the following:Retired Arrow III Multiple Unit Rail Cars, Stored at Garwood Rail Station, Garwood, New JerseyItem: Arrow IIIMaterial Description: Multiple Unit Rail Cars, 18 TotalWeight: 140,000 lbs. Per Car
  by lirr42

CNJGeep wrote:
New Jersey Transit Corporation - Offer to PurchaseSOLICITATION OF OFFERS TO PURCHASE (SOP) NO. AP004251-13The New Jersey Transit Corporation (NJ Transit) is soliciting an offer to purchase the following:Retired Arrow III Multiple Unit Rail Cars, Stored at Garwood Rail Station, Garwood, New JerseyItem: Arrow IIIMaterial Description: Multiple Unit Rail Cars, 18 TotalWeight: 140,000 lbs. Per Car
I'll start the bidding at fifty cents.