Railroad Forums 

• Garwood Industrial Track Equipment Storage

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1328026  by CLamb

North Plainfield? As far as I know there aren't any tracks there. Perhaps you meant South Plainfield? It really is hard to find a place where the equipment is safe from both flood and vandalism.
 #1346639  by Regardie

The inventory of Arrows stored in the area keeps decreasing. A couple weeks ago, the group of 20 between Garwood and Cranford disappeared, while the group under the GSP added 4 bringing their total up to 20. I don't know if they pulled the GSP group complete and replaced it with the Cranford group since I am not keeping track of car numbers.

Today, I noticed the remaining group was down to 12 Arrows.

There are still 6 locomotives and a Comet car between Westfield and Garwood as well.
 #1346835  by necrails

Whatever is happening the Arrows are being cut up. 2 days ago there was a flatbed truck with 1/2 of an arrow car as cargo going through Scotch Plains and headed up to route 78. Destination unknown, the cargo was essentially a shell, no wheels, no interior.
 #1346935  by NJRAILNUT

Saw this on my way to work on I-80 about a week ago. Certainly gave me a much needed wakeup in the morning as one never expects to see an NJ Transit train making it's way down a major interstate.

As you can see the interior is mostly intact including seats. Wonder where these are headed? (Click on link to see full size image)

http://imgur.com/aZklZta
 #1348181  by Regardie

I saw the TGIV hanging out in Cranford on Wednesday, in the morning on the siding east of the station on the outbound side, in the evening it was parked at the platform on the Garwood Industrial Track. Then yesterday the remaining Arrows were spotted going West through Fanwood a little after noon.

Now all that remains are the 6 locomotives and 1 Comet car between Westfield and Garwood.
 #1349029  by ACeInTheHole

ApproachMedium wrote:I believe they are cutting them up somewhere over there in halves to transport them for final scrapping.
Yes, theyre cutting them in half at "Plainfield yard" which is a sisde track just there for transport. and then trucking them down somewhere by the Coast Line in Avenel or Rahway which is where the halves of the cars get scrapped. I passed a half Arrow today on the higheay, unfortunately, it took me by surprise and was going the other way so i did not see which car half I passed
 #1349131  by kilroy

You can see some of the half Arrows in the scrap yard when driving by on Rt 1 South as you go over the NY&LB.
 #1353275  by ccutler

I took the RV line today, and saw the Garwood Industrail Track has no equipment left on its entire length. Trains magazine reported that 6 of the engine units made it to Colorado for FRA crash testing.