Railroad Forums 

• Freight train on montclair-boonton line

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#74161  by rail_wreck

I was in montclair tonight and I saw a freight train (two hopper beds) going outbound near upper montclair station. Has anyone else seen freight on this line?
 #74164  by sullivan1985

rail_wreck wrote:I was in montclair tonight and I saw a freight train (two hopper beds) going outbound near upper montclair station. Has anyone else seen freight on this line?
Odd to me. I never saw friehgt on that part of the line ever after the connection was made.

Are you sure it wasn't an NJT MOW train? Or did it have NS/Conrail power?

#74169  by njtmnrrbuff

I have seem freights pre-connection. Yes, last spring by Willowbrook, I saw a small freight with an ex-Conrail GP38 on the point pulling two boxers. No freight when I went out to Dover but I saw two boxers on the siding track in Boonton.
 #74227  by BlockLine_4111

rail_wreck wrote:I was in montclair tonight and I saw a freight train (two hopper beds) going outbound near upper montclair station. Has anyone else seen freight on this line?
There is a customer located along the CG border by Arch Bridge Autobody that gets hopper cars. Maybe NS tried coming up from Croxton versus Dover ?
 #74241  by sullivan1985

BlockLine_4111 wrote:
There is a customer located along the CG border by Arch Bridge Autobody that gets hopper cars. Maybe NS tried coming up from Croxton versus Dover ?
NS Couldnt come up from Croxton, thats part of a differant system. The only lines that are accessable from Croxton are the Bergen, Pascack and Main Lines, and the Main Line frieght has to g through suffern.

The only yard that could access the Montclaire-Boonton Line would be from Oak Island or on of the other yards in the newark area.

Maybe I'm wrong, but thats the only way I can make sense of it. Please correct me if I am...

#74245  by njt5140

I think any freight for the GL, MC or M&E Lines comes up from Allentown, then up the Washington Secondary (via Hackettstown) to Dover freight Yard then the NS Dover drill takes it from there.
 #74296  by njt4172

You probably saw a train coming from Hartz Mountain on the Orange Branch in Bloomfield. Usually this train runs at night, but it could have been a daytime job for one day....

Steve

#74333  by Tri-State Tom

NS....on a Sunday night ?

The M-B line is dormant on weekends - why wait till Sunday night ?

#74389  by snavely

IIRC, Hartz moves can only be made at night because the Orange Branch shares some tracks with the Newark City Subway and the FRA regs don't allow light rail and heavy rail to operate over the same ROW at the same time.

#74455  by gravelyfan

I heard NS H-02 talking to the NJT Dover Yard on the radio Sunday evening.

#74494  by rail_wreck

You probably saw a train coming from Hartz Mountain on the Orange Branch in Bloomfield. Usually this train runs at night, but it could have been a daytime job for one day....

Steve

It was around 9pmish and it said conrail on the side.

#74596  by njt4172

gravelyfan wrote:I heard NS H-02 talking to the NJT Dover Yard on the radio Sunday evening.
Well, then they must work every Sunday night now.......Isn't that 3 Sundays in a row?? Look for them to work this weekend........

Steve

#74709  by BlockLine_4111

Back 12-13 yrs. ago I saw a CR e/b evening freight on the Boonton Line. Chased it from LF to GN. Was 1 CR geep, about 10 cars, and a bay window caboose. Any idea as to origin, destination, and symbol ?

#74859  by gravelyfan

Tuesday night 12/7/04

NS H56 coming out of East Dover around 10 pm heading for Denville.

M&E DS said he has one coming off the Montclair Line then he'll go east; sounds like H56 is going down the Boonton Line tonight.

Remember Pearl Harbor.

#165205  by mountie17

Hi all, was talking to a source today and found out that they will be going to the Orange Branch tomorrow morning (9/8/05) in daylight! Anyone gonna be chasing them?
Last edited by mountie17 on Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.