Railroad Forums 

• Forum Inactivity

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

#272675  by pennsy

Hi UPRR,

It pays to double check. I stand corrected. NaOH is far more reactive and expensive. Na2CO3 is also used to balance the chemistry in swimming pools.

#273071  by UPRR engineer

The stuff is extremely hard on wooden RR ties after a few years, when ya kick at them, they bust up like a wet roll of paper towels.

#273079  by UPRR engineer

Rockingham Racer wrote:Alan, I think as far as operations go, there's a mine not far from Green River that originates trains to Barnes Yard in PDX, the OGRBA. I forget what's mined there though. Maybe UPRR can clue us in on that.
OWVT4, OGRT4, they use to be BA's. T4 is a special soda ash track up there somewhere in Barnes i guess.

In addition to soda ash, east of GR we load coal, deliver coal, pick up fly ash <--- Black Butte and Jim Bridger, serve a coke plant, drilling pipe and sand, scrap metal yard, car repair shop <---RS switch engine, fertilizer plant <---- Chevron branch. But soda ash and dog catching the main line is what we do the most.

Theres enough sidings between GR and May? i guess that allows most of the Z's to get back up to the front of the pack. RS, Black Butte (when theres not a train being loaded, Bitter Crick...

#273110  by Rockingham Racer

UPRR: thanks for the info. I looked up the "T4" symbol and it's Terminal 4 in Portland. Like you said, probably a special track for this stuff.

Problem with all those sidings: hand-throw switches, AFAIK.

Check your private messages / email.

#273558  by UPRR engineer

Ill help ya out dude, gotta find the ZIP program on my computer to open it.

#273563  by UPRR engineer

Rockingham Racer wrote: Problem with all those sidings: hand-throw switches, AFAIK.
Where ya asking about Black Butt <--- :-D , Bitter crick?

#276015  by UPRR engineer

Rockingham Racer wrote:
Problem with all those sidings: hand-throw switches, AFAIK.

Check your private messages / email.
Wont let me view it buddy. Ill see if i still have what your looking for.

#276311  by BlockLine_4111

I was down in Denver this weekend and saw BNSF coming south along I-25. 2 GE widecabs up front, loads of coal in between, and a GE plus a SD70MAC shoving hard on the rear. :wink:

#360860  by pennsy

Yo Taco etc. (Taco Belle ???),

Check out the website for the Orange Empire RR Museum, OERM. They are in Perris, California. Their photos include their Santa Fe F-45, still in running order and beautiful in Red Warbonnet livery. I have had the pleasure of being in her cab.

#424470  by Otto Vondrak

There's too much activity in this thread for something titled "Forum Inactivity."

Let's continue the discussion in a new thread, shall we?

-otto-