Railroad Forums 

• Forum Inactivity

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

#257831  by BlockLine_4111

I think some of us can generate some good ideas to really fire up this forum and BNSF forum to maybe get 10-30% more hits per month. :wink:
 #271024  by UPRR engineer

BlockLine_4111 wrote:Very minimal activity in this forum. Any suggestions for soliciting more feedback?

Perhaps this forum should be deleted if it does not pick up soon.
Lead the way dude.
 #271038  by Komachi

(Holds a plaquard reading "Western Railfan" above his head with the American flag flying in the background)

(Best Charlton Hestin impersonation) YOU CAN DELETE MY FORUM WHEN YOU PRY IT FROM MY COLD, DEAD HANDS!!!!!!!!!! :P

Seriously. This forum isn't as inactive as some would think. Let's not speak of deletion just quite yet.

#271060  by UPRR engineer

I was trying to get Block to kick start it, not kill it there buddy. :wink:

#271129  by pennsy

Hi All,

And.... what happened to that short lived California Railfan section?

#271134  by UPRR engineer

Im guessing they did the few of us out in the west who dont live in California a favor.

#271174  by pennsy

HI UPRR,

Well then, tell us all about Sherman Hill. I assume you never saw a Big Boy challenge it, but how about some contemporary horsepower ?

#271237  by TB Diamond

Was up at the Ames Monument last month and then on down to Hermosa via county road. Wanted to go over to Hermosa Tunnel, but this area is not as accessable as it was thirty years ago account road closures. Will go up again maybe next week and take another look by going in from the Dale side.
 #271295  by Komachi

"I was trying to get Block to kick start it, not kill it there buddy. :wink:"

I know, but I've been waiting for an excuse to use that line.

(Haven't seen "Sling Blade" yet, oterwise i'd probably have used something fitting from there.)

#271499  by UPRR engineer

pennsy wrote:HI UPRR,

Well then, tell us all about Sherman Hill. I assume you never saw a Big Boy challenge it, but how about some contemporary horsepower ?
Alan, i work out of Green River (southwestern Wyoming), my district is between Granger (about 27 miles to the west) and Black Butte (51 miles to the east). Occasionally i venture out past those points to go dogcatch a train or two. I never really enjoyed watching trains roll by, although i did have a strong desire to run one back before i hired on. I have no desire to see Sherman Hill, the rails from the Wyoming border to Salt Lake City are alot more interesting and scenic, if i did feel like train watching. Geology and vertebrate paleontology is my bag. Old Union Pacific coal mines and towns, although i havent found a book that can hold my attention yet on that subject.

#271553  by pennsy

Hi UPRR,

Don't know about that. From what you just told us I'll bet most of us are interested. Sounds like your rail lines and outcroppings are just as interesting. Or, in other words, we are listening.

#271571  by Rockingham Racer

Alan, I think as far as operations go, there's a mine not far from Green River that originates trains to Barnes Yard in PDX, the OGRBA. I forget what's mined there though. Maybe UPRR can clue us in on that.

#272616  by UPRR engineer

Soda ash mines, theres five of them west of Green River.

#272630  by pennsy

Hi UPRR,

Soda Ash is solid Sodium Hydroxide. It is a concentrated Caustic, ie has a Ph approaching 14. Extremely dangerous and must be handled with specialized equipment or whatever touches it will be chemically eaten up. So, you probably see it hauled away in covered hoppers, hoppers with special linings that will not be attacked by the caustic. I would not want to be around there should there be a serious derailment, where the hoppers were cut open and the caustic spilled out. There would be Hazmat teams all over the place, wearing space suits.

#272671  by UPRR engineer

This is what soda ash is from: INDUSTRIAL MINERALS ASSOCIATION - NORTH AMERICA
--------------------------------------

Soda Ash

What is Soda Ash?
Soda ash, also known as sodium carbonate (Na2CO3), is an alkali chemical refined from the mineral trona or naturally occurring sodium carbonate-bearing brines (both referred to as natural soda ash), the mineral nahcolite (referred to as natural sodium bicarbonate, from which soda ash can be produced), or manufactured from one of several chemical processes (referred to as synthetic soda ash).

A series of refining steps are required to produce soda ash from trona ore. First the raw ore from the mine is crushed and screened. The material is then fed to rotary calciners and heated. In this process, the trona decomposes to form crude soda ash, which is dissolved in water. The insoluble shales are separated from the solution by a combination of settling and filtration steps, and the resulting insoluble tailings are taken back into the mine as backfill. The soda ash solution is treated to remove organic materials yielding a high-purity saturated solution of sodium carbonate.

Next, the solution is fed to crystallizers where water is evaporated and sodium carbonate monohydrate crystals are formed. The industry-familiar term "mono-process" originates from this process step. The crystals are dewatered and washed using cyclones and centrifuges, and the solution is recycled to the evaporator units for further recovery of soda ash. The monohydrate crystals are fed to rotary kilns where they are dried to finished soda ash. Finally, product is screened and sent to storage silos awaiting rail and truck loadout.

Where is it used?
Soda ash has a number of diversified uses that touch our lives everyday. Glass manufacturing is the largest application for soda ash whether it is in the production of containers, fiberglass insulation, or flat glass for the housing, commercial building, and automotive industries. Soda ash also is used to clean the air and soften water. As environmental concerns grow, demand increases for soda ash used in the removal of sulfur dioxide and hydrochloric acid from stack gases. Chemical producers use soda ash as an intermediate to manufacture products that sweeten soft drinks (corn sweeteners), relieve physical discomfort (sodium bicarbonate) and improve foods and toiletries (phosphates). Household detergents and paper products are a few other common examples of readily identifiable products using soda ash.
---------------------------------

Its pretty harmless in a dry state when its loaded into RR cars. Its laying all over the place out here along the tracks, from derailments and just from the cars getting beat around making the gates leak. They still do make a small amount of liquid caustic and ship it by railcar, but not as much as they did in the 90's.
Last edited by UPRR engineer on Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.