Railroad Forums 

• FGLK to store cars north of Penn Yan

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#703098  by scharnhorst

what is the news on these cars? did that A-Hole in Albany and the village of Benton get there way or did the Feds tell them to get lost??

#703997  by sd80mac

(ignore this)
Last edited by sd80mac on Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #703998  by sd80mac

railwatcher wrote:Here's a thought. Everyone should try flooding Schumers emailbox.
Greg
I already did that a while ago when he told CSX to take that Rbox cars out of Greece. And all I got was auto-reply saying "thank you for your comment" (or something)
 #704630  by jayenelee

I just drove by yesterday and noticed that even more of the track was occupied by the cars.... I'd say that makes a bit over three miles of occupied track now... If the odometer isn't too far off in my old truck...

Sleuthing the Internet, the only fresh activity I found was this thread, hopefully a good sign. All my friends from Benton area didn't comment on this either, so, just maybe, everyone's attention is diverted elsewhere.

If Schumer's letter to the transportation board wasn't such a serious matter, it would actually be hilarious. I think I counted five houses that could be within 150' of the tracks, up to Bellona Station Rd; with a house on said road to be near enough to merit possible concern about the children playing on the cars. (but the section of track between Loree RD and Bellona station was not occupied). All the cars (except a few south of Flat ST crossing) are visible from Flat st and Thistle St; I really don't think any self respecting vandals would care to spend a lot of time messing with them.

I noticed that all farm crossings and, apparently, road crossings with residential yards near enough were given wide clearences.... quite unlike cars in active service or in areas of active service.
 #705229  by scharnhorst

jayenelee wrote:I noticed that all farm crossings and, apparently, road crossings with residential yards near enough were given wide clearences.... quite unlike cars in active service or in areas of active service.

Most railroads have been fairly good about leaving brakes between cars for private roads and farm roads when they have cars in storage or on hold when a yard is full.
 #707623  by jayenelee

More cars continue to come in; was walking the tracks in Penn Yan on Friday; looked up to be greeted by friendly brakeman on a hopper of plastic and a dozen "lumbar" cars followed the red and black engine. Does the red flag take place of the air horns and bell these days?

I saw more lumber cars in Himrod today as well.
 #707664  by roadster

Well, first, I'm sure your gunna hear that you should not have been tresspassing. Enough said about that. The conductor riding the rear of the car is required. As they reach a public crossing. He is suppose to dismount, stop traffic, and "flag" the train over the crossings. As we all know, hopper cars are not equiped with Horns and bells. So this is the prescribe manner for trains to shove, car first, over grade crossings by the FRA. A very old and long standing practice at that. Remember the slogan, "ANY TRACK ANY TIME".
 #707708  by lvrr325

That's another example of where common sense just flies out the window. Don't want to get hit by a train, don't walk on the tracks. Trains don't normally travel down your street for you to maybe get hit by.
 #707741  by Plate F

If you've ever been in a hirail truck, you will realize that drivers will never look down the tracks unless the gates go down. You can pull right up to the road with strobes on, high beams on, and still only 1/10 drivers care to turn their head. What this has to do with the topic I am not quite sure besides the "safety" thing.

Back on topic, FGLK continues to move the cars in. Revenue is revenue and the state gets their share. So stay away from the tracks and just enjoy the view :)
 #707882  by scharnhorst

jayenelee wrote:More cars continue to come in; was walking the tracks in Penn Yan on Friday; looked up to be greeted by friendly brakeman on a hopper of plastic and a dozen "lumbar" cars followed the red and black engine. Does the red flag take place of the air horns and bell these days?

I saw more lumber cars in Himrod today as well.

Red flag is to mark the end of the train when its not going in reverse its common to see red flags in the couplers on occasion with local freight trains or on a short line or regional Railroad when the train is on the move during the day.
 #707946  by jayenelee

How does one discuss an off topic subject in a thread here? I really don't want to derail this thread to discuss bells and whistles, and yet make on more post on the question. Please pardon my ignorance on some of those aspects of railroading, though I have always been a railfan, and I lurked this site occasionaly for years, I never took the time to really learn some of that.
Usually in PY they only exchange about 1-3 cars, and in the rare event I'm present when they are pushing a car, I've noticed that they still usually ring the bell and occasionaly whistle. Is that optional in that situation? Ever since they took the crossing signals out, the conducter consistantly walks ahead and flags traffic as was mentioned.

Back to the topic of the thread, I'm very glad to see them using this branch in this way, and say more power to them; Local traffic has been down rather seriously of late, at least that can be observed from the road, :wink: . I wish to add that I have read the safety concerns and I apologize for my foolishness.
 #708186  by roadster

Being the engine was on the rear and away from the crossing as the lead end was going to cross, the conductor must protect the rear over the crossing which from your post has only crossbucks. Blowing the horn and rining bell is not required with a conductor protecting the crossing on a shove move. Some engineers still do anyway(me for one), but not required. As Scharnhorst mentioned, a red flag in the knuckle also denotes the end of the train. But the conductor is also required to have a red flag in hand while flaging the traffic to stop at the crossing, which I assume is what you meant when you mentioned the Red Flag replacing the horn and bell in your 1st post. On a side note, If your going to attend the NYS Fair this year. Visit the Train display. One of the cars is OLS #1(Operation Lifesaver #1) and the trained volunteers maning the car have lot's of info. regarding safety around Railroads. Hope to see you all.