• FGLK to store cars north of Penn Yan

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by CPSD40-2

Willing to bet you'll see more of the center beams in storage down there - A big cut of those cars is on Dove Siding north of Geneva right now, with a few more on the old LV near the 5&20 bridge.
  by jayenelee

Yeah, well, good for FGLK, I'd reckon.... just hope the car owners don't lose their shirts.
  by NellieBly

Okay, just a bit of clarification. "Abandonment" is a legal process, requiring approval by the Surface Transportation Board. Until and unless a railroad formally files for abandonment, a rail line is considered active. There is no need for the railroad to get permission from anyone to do track work, store cars, run trains, or whatever else it chooses to do.

"Cease and desist" orders from local towns are meaningless. Railroads are governed only by Federal law. State courts have no standing to hear cases dealing with railroad service. State environmental laws do not apply. Railroad environmental issues are handled by STB's Environmental Section. States and localities cannot restrict use of railroad property with zoning or other ordinances.

So it looks like the Town of Benton is sh*t out of luck.

Disclosure: I am a former STB employee.
  by jayenelee

Nellie, that's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. Needless to say, I did grin a little, for a variety of reasons, when I learned the fuss. :wink:
  by nessman

Well, actually - the FGLK already has filed for and received approval to abandon this segment of line.
  by jayenelee

So are they just trying to ring the last chunk of revenue before they yank the track?
  by sd80mac

I am wondering if the cars are still sitting there or these are the same cars from FLRR?

a kid reported a train went WB with blukhead cars.
SIGHTINGS-FRIDAY- 09-25-09
(POST ON 09-26-09)
MP QC 361

SYMBOL....POWER
......AXLES / CARS
......TIME
......TYPE
X 901.....2482. ....YN3 REPAINT
...........2492. ....YN3 REPAINT

...........73 CARS
...******* ALL CARS EMPTY BULKHEAD FLATS ******!!!!!! !
...........1533 HRS
...........WB SPECIAL EXTRA
  by roadster

No the X901 cleaned out over 70+ stored bluckhead flats from the Siding in Fonda that day. I think they've been placed into Frontier Yard for storage now.
  by sd80mac

roadster wrote:No the X901 cleaned out over 70+ stored bluckhead flats from the Siding in Fonda that day. I think they've been placed into Frontier Yard for storage now.
thanks for the answer
  by expensivelawnmower

Am I getting this straight? Even though the abandonment has been approved, the railroad has the option to keep using the trackage?
Evan J. West
  by lvrr325

Just because they can abandon it doesn't mean they have to, if they can make some money using it for storage.
  by thebigham

I'm going to be in Penn yan on Thursday. Is the FGLK storing any cars in Penn Yan?
  by poppyl

The cars were still there late last year. BTW, the cars are north of PY between the village and Bellona.

Poppyl