Railroad Forums 

• Expansion to double size of North Station by November(2006)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#465040  by danib62

jpitha wrote:Here's a photo of the board as of 8:45am Wednesday. (my own hosting)
Looks a little utilitarian. Not as polished as the new boards at penn station in NYC.

#465097  by Ron Newman

Does it display on both sides?

#465108  by sery2831

No, it will set up pretty much like south stations. So the info on the other side would be a waste since it's almost against the wall.

#465117  by danib62

It looks to me that the board uses LEDs. Anyone want to confirm this? I prefer the look of the board at NYP which mimics the look and feel of a classic solari board. What technology does that board use? I'm thinking LCD screens.

#465316  by sery2831

The boards are LED, and both will up for the AM. Hopefully will be functioning for sometime on Friday. I was really hoping for the digital solari boards like Penn Station in NYC. These signs are manufactured by someone else.

#465375  by Ron Newman

One of the people who was installing it last night said it would still make the clack-clack noise like a Solari board.

#465387  by danib62

Ron Newman wrote:One of the people who was installing it last night said it would still make the clack-clack noise like a Solari board.
I really hope it's not too artificial and cheesy sounding. I think the best solution is to just have a blank solari panel that flips when there are changes so you actually have the real sound.

#465661  by sery2831

They do make the clicking sounds. I only heard it from a distance so I am not sure how fake it sounds.

#465664  by danib62

sery2831 wrote:They do make the clicking sounds. I only heard it from a distance so I am not sure how fake it sounds.
It looks pretty sharp all lit up. Someone should tell them that Downeaster is one word.
Last edited by danib62 on Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#465665  by Ron Newman

Looks cool, but someone should tell them that "Downeaster" is one word and is not a destination.

#465674  by CRail

To all of our customers these boards are in test mode

#465679  by jamesinclair

Rockport has a different Carrier than the others

#465688  by MBTA3247

Ron Newman wrote:Looks cool, but someone should tell them that "Downeaster" is one word and is not a destination.
Must have been entered in by the same people who think MBCR has a facility at "South Hampton". :wink:

#465736  by Otto Vondrak

Wow, North Station looks like a REAL TRAIN TERMINAL with the flashy Solari board. That's pretty cool.

Too bad they can't show the Amtrak service in a different color or something. But I'm sure this is a vast improvement over what they had before. What's coming next, LED signs at track gates?

-otto-

#465951  by Ron Newman

As of 8 pm today:

Hub Express bar (near Track 1) is open and busy with customers.
Newsstand is open but has no identifying signs yet.
Four TDBankNorth ATMs are installed and operating.
Dunkin Donuts and McDonalds appear unchanged from before the expansion.
Some Ticketmaster kiosks are installed but not yet operational.
The two new faux-Solari boards are installed but are not yet turned on.
The 'temporary' train-departures board, above Hub Express, is still operating.